Off Topic

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I would start by removing ubuntu altogether. Then take care of your Windows 8 upgrade. I can't recall but you may have advanced install option on Windows 8 that lets you choose partition sizing during install. Once that is settled you can install a fresh ubuntu. Again I believe it may ask you during the install how you want to partition the space but you will want to look into this. It has been a while since I have made a dual boot linux machine from a Windows machine so I don't recall the details but the info is out there.

Since you have gparted though you can easily repartition Windows once you have it installed without ubuntu to worry about. Then you should easily be able to allocate the space as you see fit and install ubuntu to the non-Windows partition you create.

JP

Linsalata28

Dec 24, 2012
I have never used Ubuntu, so it's installer I am not familiar with, The installer should give a choice to use entire hard drive or partitions, in my be advanced section of installer, when ask where to place root point to windows partition.

What os do you use?

I would start by removing ubuntu altogether. Then take care of your Windows 8 upgrade. I can't recall but you may have advanced install option on Windows 8 that lets you choose partition sizing during install. Once that is settled you can install a fresh ubuntu. Again I believe it may ask you during the install how you want to partition the space but you will want to look into this. It has been a while since I have made a dual boot linux machine from a Windows machine so I don't recall the details but the info is out there.

Since you have gparted though you can easily repartition Windows once you have it installed without ubuntu to worry about. Then you should easily be able to allocate the space as you see fit and install ubuntu to the non-Windows partition you create.

JP

I'm not getting windows 8 till I have a little more money , its pretty tight right now. When installing ubuntu you only have the option to use up to 30gb thats why I want to partition it now. Also I might still try to fix the windows 7 but I'm very impatient and just want to setup my ubuntu so I can start trying to compile ROMs from source and kernels.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I'm not getting windows 8 till I have a little more money , its pretty tight right now. When installing ubuntu you only have the option to use up to 30gb thats why I want to partition it now. Also I might still try to fix the windows 7 but I'm very impatient and just want to setup my ubuntu so I can start trying to compile ROMs from source and kernels.

Don't wait! Upgrading to Windows 8 is only $40 until January 31, 2013. Get it now because when the promo period expires it is going to cost $200. Pretty easy decision as far as I am concerned. Borrow the money if you have to.

Personally I think a clean Win8 install followed by a clean ubuntu install is the way to go. Windows is the critical part because it costs money for the license/upgrade which can be tricky to fix if you have issues. Make sure it is right first, then back it up. After that you can play with installing linux all you want since you won't loose anything by wiping it out and starting from scratch if you need to.

Linsalata28

Dec 24, 2012
Don't wait! Upgrading to Windows 8 is only $40 until January 31, 2013. Get it now because when the promo period expires it is going to cost $200. Pretty easy decision as far as I am concerned. Borrow the money if you have to.

Personally I think a clean Win8 install followed by a clean ubuntu install is the way to go. Windows is the critical part because it costs money for the license/upgrade which can be tricky to fix if you have issues. Make sure it is right first, then back it up. After that you can play with installing linux all you want since you won't loose anything by wiping it out and starting from scratch if you need to.

I am getting it soon but I wanted to setup ubuntu tonight while I have time. I was going to just backup ubuntu when I got w8 and then do a full wipe. Maybe I'll wait but I still need to know the best way to partition the hd. Anyone have any info on the best program to use and how to use it?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
As long as you are only talking about data partitions there shouldn't be an issue. Just get a partition manager of your choosing or use Windows. So based on what you have said your hard drive probably looks like this:

480GB Windows
20GB Ubuntu

All you do with the partition program is go in and shrink the existing Windows partition to the size you want and create a new partition in the remaining section of 180GB. Then you can allocate this to Ubuntu which will require formatting it appropriately and expanding Ubuntu's partition to include the free space. At this point you have two options though.

Option 1 - Give the new partition to Ubuntu OS

300GB Windows OS
200GB Ubuntu

Option 2 - Give the partition to Ubuntu but keep the OS on its own partition (good for tinkering so you can leave the files alone but wipe and install Ubuntu as necessary)

300GB Windows
20GB Ubuntu OS (or 30GB or whatever you want to use)
180GB Ubuntu data

A quick youtube search gives this brief tutorial. The basics are here but there are honestly tons of videos about this so find one you like.

Last edited by a moderator:

WasteLandSavage

Dec 3, 2012
I don't have a CD thats why I'm using the usb version. It says that I should be able to do that right?

Yes you should have the option avaliable to boot from your USB drive providing.
1. Your laptop is able to do it, all newer models can do this.
2. Your USB has the file extracted and ready to be booted, extraction shouldn't be needed if it is already an .exe.
3. Your multi boot selection should be there after you hit f12, If the recovery partition is still there it should be acessible at this time.
NOW here's where the fly maybe in it so to speak,if the dual boot was done with the recovery partition there, the boot mgr may have been messed up not allowing you to access the recovery mode.

If you know someone with a Win 7 DVD you should be able to use it to fix the boot mgr and allow you to access the OEM recovery mode.
Then all you'd have to do is reset the dual boot, once you have done your backup copies of the OEM is.

And once you have it set back up be sure if your going to put a password back on it to make a password reset stick using a USB drive.

WasteLandSavage

Dec 3, 2012
How would I just install ubuntu over windows 7 ? I have a live CD but when I run it, it says to install it alongside of Windows 7.

I have used Ubuntu awhile back.
And if I remember right it should as you said ask if you want to install it along side windows, or do you want to wipe the drive and install Ubuntu by itself, it should also during the install give you the option to partition your hard drive as well and let you choose which partition to install it to.

WasteLandSavage

Dec 3, 2012
Thanks.
I know how to install it. What I'm asking is how to use gparted to partition my hardrive. This PC has a 500gb hd with 2 partitions one with ubuntu 11.10 with only 20gb and the rest for the w7. I would like to create a 200gb partition to install ubuntu 12.04LTS on. I already have the ubuntu disk. Also in case Ididn't mention I'm able to boot into the ubuntu 11.10 on this computer.

Edit: The reason is cause I'm getting a windows 8 that I'm also going to put on it. I would also like to wipe out this old ubunru. It was dual booted from the windows so I'm not sure how that works. Like I said I'm new to this stuff.

Thanks again for your help.
Gparted is or used to part of the Ubuntu install, and it is fairly easy to use and comes with a manual under help in the application itself.
You can use it from inside Ubuntu without fear of boring your Ubuntu install.
I know you can do it. If I can.
I was once like you and felt many a time like I was stumbling in the dark.

Linsalata28

Dec 24, 2012
I'm setting everything up now and I'm really surprised how fast this computer is. And it was free to boot :D

Linsalata28

Dec 24, 2012
However you got it going.
I'm Happy for you and like I said I knew you could do it.:D
And as far as it being FREE? FREE IS ALWAYS GOOD!!!:cool:

Thanks. I just about have everything setup for moding for android. I also build for my phone (the myTouch 4g). I use to have a Evo 3d but it was stolen :mad:. So I hope we can get a team together and put our minds together and build a nice stockish ROM

flashallthetime

Dec 28, 2012
Thanks. I just about have everything setup for moding for android. I also build for my phone (the myTouch 4g). I use to have a Evo 3d but it was stolen :mad:. So I hope we can get a team together and put our minds together and build a nice stockish ROM

An evo 3 d CDMA I assume? That's my main phone (gsm version), also have a Samsung but by far I prefer the evo, although I rooted it right out of the box and never used the 3d camera, running jb 4.2 on it without too many issues, the evo forums are by far the worst in regards to manners, flaming and noobs, I have no idea if you where on anthrax forums or where around when the anthrax( chad Goodman) versus xda war was at its height, papa smurf, pstevep and il duce the moderators

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Tapatalk HD