Official 2.2 Release for S7 from Huawei - Update? Status = 'Released in Indonesia'

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevmueller

Dec 7, 2010
I have a DroidX as well, and some say because of the size it should be a tablet, I think it is a great phone. Never the less, it started on 2.1 and went to 2.2. While I admit I was not on 2.1 for long as I had it rooted and a leaked version on 2.2 on it within a month and a half there was night and day difference.

First the battery life, which was decent at 14 hours to dead went to where I could use it all day and still have 30% of the battery left.
The X has 8GB for apps so apps2sd is not a big deal on it, but since I have so many apps I like, this is a big deal on the S7.
Flash Player, it is amazing how nice this really is to have. Not only for the web support but some of the apps that are out there to watch movies and TV shows is great. I can't wait to watch them on my bigger screen.
The new kernel makes the android system much more snappy and seems soooo much faster.
Lastly the way it handles apps running in the background, once we get on 2.2 there will be no need for a task/app killer, a memory optimizer still helps, but a task/app killer actually will hinder performance instead of help as 2.2 does a better job at this then the task/app killers do.

This really is a big deal. I would be fine on 2.1, but I will be very happy with my S7 on 2.2.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
The firmware updates are supposedly undergoing vendor review.

I don't think there will be significant fixes regarding battery life. We already have Apps2SD. The major fix I am looking forward to is in the performance area with JIT and v8 webkit. Other than that, Adobe Flash player is a nice addition too.

I don't think we will see amazing changes due to the kernel swap itself.

Mdwills3521

Dec 30, 2010
How will I upgrade? Will I be prompted on my s7 or will I have to use a computer.

Also if youve seen the slim s7 video there's a new home screen will we get that?

50cals

Jan 5, 2011
Most likely it will be a manual update.

Install launcher pro, adw, and homeswitcher........ Now you can setup different home screens

Sent from my Ideos S7

Mar 11, 2011
I just called Huawei customer support in the US and they told me that the 2.2 patch will not be ready before the end of March. I just bought the tablet this week and I'll hold off til my return policy is up...if I don't have 2.2 by then, well Huawei will have a return coming back to them from BEST BUY. Best Buy should be kicking someone's balls kicked in for this, F*&% Up.

dublea

Feb 22, 2011
I just called Huawei customer support in the US and they told me that the 2.2 patch will not be ready before the end of March. I just bought the tablet this week and I'll hold off til my return policy is up...if I don't have 2.2 by then, well Huawei will have a return coming back to them from BEST BUY. Best Buy should be kicking someone's balls kicked in for this, F*&% Up.

I just called and was told different. Calling customer support / technical support for release information is akin of asking your local congressman what the president is having for lunch. You're not going to get a straight fact based answer. Instead, you'll get a guesstimation. Have some patience. If you don't like the device, then return it. If you like it, then wait. Even if Huawei doesn't release it this month, it will be out soon. AND, if they don't release anything at all, the community will step up and get a higher version.

[rant] Patience, the single practice that is missing from most American consumers. What happened to my countrymen? Good things come to those who wait! [/rant]

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Let's be clear on this:
As far as I know, Huawei has dispatched the firmware images for vendors for customization early this month.

So my speculation is that BestBuy are the ones dragging their heels on the update. I think Huawei underestimated vendor incompetence and arrogance.

BestBuy might not want to deal with the logistics of the firmware upgrade. They are too busy reaping the harvest from the Apple tree to care. Complain to BestBuy or your primary vendor.

raduque

Jan 28, 2011
Why would Best Buy have anything to do with the firmware update? It's not like this thing has Best Buy branding of any kind. It's a Huawei device with Huawei customizations and branding.

They need to just throw the damn thing up on an FTP and be done with it.

Feb 8, 2011
i agree. i dont see what bestbuy has to do with anything. pls just give us the firmware. you already have it for the s7 slim, just port it to ours. it cant be that hard.

rudydh

Dec 20, 2010
From what i hear at bb in arizona they dont even want to sell it anymore... Seems the masses are clueless...

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

Woodfiend

Nov 28, 2010
I don't put much stock in what Best Buy employees say....... the average joe knows more than they do unfortunately. I'm surprised some of them actually find their way to work........ okay I know that is harsh but wow some of the answers and responses you get from some of them amazes me. I had two friends who worked there (one store manager and one geek squad) thankfully neither of them stayed working for Best Buy...... I could see how it might be convenient for some people to update their tablet at best buy but that can't be the only option.

rudydh

Dec 20, 2010
Haha wood... So agree... What do you expect from $7 hour no commision employees... I help more people when i am there shopping... Hope they dont fold... I do get most of my good stuff from china and south korea direct anyway..

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Actually, I had an awesome experience shopping for my S7 on the phone for BestBuy US... From Canada.

If there is no BestBuy 2.2, I hope Huawei release for Singapore so we have a compatible release. That ROM is in Traditional Chinese by default, which is better for me :)

Woodfiend

Nov 28, 2010
I have had a few random good experiences with best buy and wish them continued success. I just wish we had more local options for tech and gear...... I am not a very tech savvy person but I love my toys,gadgets, and electronics. Home theater is my real passion and tablets are a fun distraction as well. It is just bad when I know more than the employees.
Ok back on topic....... I am checking in to see if there was any news about 2.2 but seems like the wait continues. We are quickly running out of days here in March....... :) Come on Hauwei!!

Status
Not open for further replies.