Official Acer Response Re: 3.1

kes601

May 23, 2011
Got this as a response to my case I opened up today:

"Please be informed that the 3.1 update will be pushed to each unit and will go by serial number. This is to prevent overload on the Google servers. We have no control over when Google will push the update to each unit."

So, the update actually comes from Google and not Acer, which is interesting.

skinnyg

Jun 16, 2011
By serial? To prevent overload? Really.....this is Google were talking bout...SMDH

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
Got this as a response to my case I opened up today:

"Please be informed that the 3.1 update will be pushed to each unit and will go by serial number. This is to prevent overload on the Google servers. We have no control over when Google will push the update to each unit."

So, the update actually comes from Google and not Acer, which is interesting.

INTERESTING!!! But now we get to over analyze this! Is it the SNID or the SN? My SNID begins with 1142 then 7 more digits. My SN begins with XEH60PN002114 and then 9 more characters.

Its probaby not a good idea to post a full number but if some of those who have gotten 3.1 could post the beginnings of their numbers maybe we can get a handle on how 3.1 is being distributed.

By the way, when that shorter update came out a few weeks ago I seemed to have gotten it real quickly. Certainly before they stopped sending it out. But now I seem to be at the end of the list. So I wonder how valid the above really is!!!

Gerry

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
It just goes to show how pure speculation causes frustration among forum users. The update will come when it comes. In the meantime, go rip some blu-rays.

FoFoJoe

Jun 8, 2011
I kinda got the update this morning.. I posted a thread with more info

taichimaster

Apr 29, 2011
AQ_OC : Love your attitude about this. If everyone could just chill a little.

Remember back in school when it was time to get picked for something. You didn't want to be picked last.

Kinda sound familiar? Heck I've been waiting all day and I haven't been picked!!!!

Ken

PS: How do you change your avatar in this forum. Your's is cool.

kes601

May 23, 2011
Of course, he has 3.1, so easy to stay positive :)

JPaul

May 27, 2011
Over the past two months Google apparently has been monitoring which Acer tabs have requested the update. It has been decided to roll it out to those serial numbers with no requests first. Impatient users will be put on standby while patient folk get the update first. That seems to be a reasonable solution.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
Of course, he has 3.1, so easy to stay positive :)

I was among the last to get the first update and among the first to get 3.1. What goes around comes around, I guess. :)

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
How does google know our serial #'s? Did you all register your tablets?

I didn't register mine until after I got the 3.1 update. I think they enable ranges of serial numbers to receive the update. Then, when machines call home and are in a certain range, they get to download the updates. More speculation on my part, though.

pwalt

Dec 1, 2010
I was among the last to get the first update and among the first to get 3.1. What goes around comes around, I guess. :)

Patience is a virtue ... I just got the 1.41 build this morning! I'll just sit and wait patiently. If it weren't for the message boards I would be perfectly happy with what I had and wouldn't even be actively waiting for it (actively waiting? that just sounds wierd!)

kes601

May 23, 2011
They responded to me again because I asked why I got pushed 3.01 today when I already had 3.01 (which was really my original question). Now they suggest I do a factory reset to get 3.1 sent to me. No thanks, already did one of those a couple weeks ago since my a500 was running slowly because I had installed a bunch of crap on it that I didn't need.