Official Updates for Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 Past 4.2?

mikee

May 29, 2011
I'm wondering if there will be anymore official firmware updates for the galaxy tab 2 7.0. The current and supposedly last firmware update is a very poor one that is laggy and uses up majority of ram and storage and results in reduced battery life. In my opinion it is in dier need of a bug fix release to straighten some of this stuff out.
I can't seem to find a definite answer online as to whether there will be another official update. I am just waiting to confirm if 4.2.2 is the last update before jumping the gun on rooting and custom roms.

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
I believe I read they're going to 4.2.3, but don't quote me on that. After seeing what 4.2.2 looked and worked like on my wife's tablet, I said "screw this" and installed CM.

I'm very, very pleased with the results.

Jim

mikee

May 29, 2011
does anything not work in cm 10.2? how's the battery life, better than stock 4.2.2?

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
does anything not work in cm 10.2? how's the battery life, better than stock 4.2.2?
I don't know about 10.2, as I'm using 10.1.3. On 10.1.3 the IR blaster's not supported. That meant nothing, to me, because the Peel Remote app is nearly worthless, anyway. Plus I've little need of a 10-inch by whatever remote. I just tried to use a Bluetooth earpiece with it, and it links up fine, but no audio in either direction, whereas it used to work under Samsung's 4.1.1. On a scale of 1-10, I rate that at an annoyance factor of about 3, since I rarely use the thing as a phone, anyway.

As to runtime: I'm down to 35% after 7 hours, with 64% going to screen. Gut feel is it's about the same as it was under Samsung's 4.1.1.

I've been using it for a week, and, so far, I'm pleased with it.

Jim

mikee

May 29, 2011
I hope i won't have any issues with my bluetooth keyboard in cm

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
I hope i won't have any issues with my bluetooth keyboard in cm
I bought an Anker Bluetooth keyboard for mine, and that works great.

Glad I did that before I discovered the Bluetooth earpiece didn't work. Saved myself a lot of angst :p

Jim

Abb0nz

Dec 31, 2010
I haven't really noticed a problem with battery life but it certainly seems to have slowed it down. I'm going to CM, I think, when I get the time to do it!

edap

Dec 12, 2012
What does CM mean or stand for?... Call Me? Sorry to seem so obnoxious. Of course, I know that it means CyanogenMod, but no where in the thread is that mentioned and if someone needs to know, it won't be found anywhere under CM. Not on the Forum in any of the 'stickies', nor on Google, for that matter. So, c'mon people, let's get it into the 'sticky' dictionary or the 'rooting terms' thread.

mikee

May 29, 2011
What does CM mean or stand for?... Call Me? Sorry to seem so obnoxious. Of course, I know that it means CyanogenMod, but no where in the thread is that mentioned and if someone needs to know, it won't be found anywhere under CM. Not on the Forum in any of the 'stickies', nor on Google, for that matter. So, c'mon people, let's get it into the 'sticky' dictionary or the 'rooting terms' thread.

CyanogenMod custom android rom

mikee

May 29, 2011
well I took the plunge into cyanogenmod 10.2 so far I am happy. Somethings weird with gps reception though it can't get a fix like it used to. its not listed as not working on the cm wiki and gps test shows some satelites being seen but I'm fairly confident I can get that to work

pc7wiz

Jul 3, 2015
CyanogenMod custom android rom
Where do I find such a ROM? I have a Tab 2 7.0, I inherited from my son. I accidentally deleted the expensive launcher he had bought. The one that has the cyber machine look... Since this tab is well out of warranty, I can safely root it. If I can back up the current ROM & apps first...