OK, who stole my microphone!

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Just in case you are still wondering where the mic is (they sort of left that out of the manual), it is. Located between the screen glass and the bezel on the top (landscape) one centimeter to the right of the microsd compartment cover.

It's just a tiny gap.

JoeRnCT

Apr 28, 2011
I just posted videos of the cameras on YouTube and mentioned the Mic placement and how it kind of sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I don't have a problem with the mic placement. Its out of the way in both landscape and portrait. Can't think of a better place.

Now the front facing cam?? That needs a little work. It needs to be angled toward the screen a bit so you can hold the tablet square on when video chatting.

JoeRnCT

Apr 28, 2011
Yeah the FFC isn't in the best position. As for the Mic..... it took me 6 attempts to make the video for the FFC because I was behind the tablet and the Mic would just lose my voice when I moved. I was holding the tablet at neck level and about 6 inches from my mouth and as soon as I started moving, the audio would die out so I had to pretty much do most of the talking before I started moving. They should have just had the little Mic hole like other models have.

ceramicsaturn

Mar 22, 2011
There IS a mic hole, how am I the only one here who sees it? There's a hole in the groove between the screen's glass and the metal trim.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
There IS a mic hole, how am I the only one here who sees it? There's a hole in the groove between the screen's glass and the metal trim.

No you are just the only one who failed to read the first post in the thread where the exact same thing was mentioned.

It's hard to find except from certain angles , and certain light conditions.

Mippster

Apr 25, 2011
Just cause you talk about the mic and cause imma absolutely new to android platform , can a Bluetooth headset( hands free ) be connected to A500? Somewhere i read something that gave me the impression that you can't but still decided to ask :)

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Just cause you talk about the mic and cause imma absolutely new to android platform , can a Bluetooth headset( hands free ) be connected to A500? Somewhere i read something that gave me the impression that you can't but still decided to ask :)

The specs say it can do that:
Local Connectivity

Bluetooth

• Version: 2.1 + EDR
  • Stereo: yes
  • Profiles:
  • A2DP
  • FTP
  • OPP
  • AVRCP
  • GAP
  • GOEP
  • HFP
  • HSP
  • PBAP
  • SPP
  • SDAP

However, I can't get mine to pair with my Jawbra. I can pair with my Linux computer, but it looks like the Acer does not offer any profiles (services), so I can't get file transfer to work, (either direction). I can also pair with my Nexus One, but again no profiles in the Acer.

The current manual says only A2DP Stereo headsets without mic are supported, although other devices may be supported in future software updates.

Then later in the manual they suggest you can use the onboard Clear.FI app to send files, but that does not work either.

So the short answer is maybe someday, but not today.

docfreed

Dec 4, 2010
If that's where the microphone then Acer f......ked up because the case covers it. I'm returning my case!

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
If that's where the microphone then Acer f......ked up because the case covers it. I'm returning my case!

How do you figure Acer messed up? Did acer make the case?

The case maker screwed up.

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
I dunno... just tested the Mic with voice recorder both case on and case off. Both are just as muffled as each other. Acer covered up the microphone with the bevel... so its muffled anyway. With the case on, it is no more muffled than off.

Try it out and post your results.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
You have to remember that this mic is designed for Video calling. Its not designed to record the whole room.
So holding it at a typical video call distance and speaking normally seems to give a pretty good recording in my tests.
Playback thru the speakers doesn't sound bad to me.

If you play back thru your Smartphone earbuds it sounds a lot better than using the speakers.
Also if you turn Dolby OFF the recording seems to be way worse. Make sure Dolby is On, and select Auto for the Equalization.

Recording thru my Nexus One earbud mic the volume was way down. Recording with my mid-price Itx earphones is better, but still not as good as the built in mic.

scarpezio

Jun 25, 2010
According to Acer specs: "Dual microphone with noise and echo cancellation". So there should be 2 "holes."

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
Perhaps they are in the speaker assembly?

Or no, that would cause feedback wouldn't it? Plus they should be on the front or sides I'd think