old fart looking for advice on tablet

lakeyjim

Jul 4, 2013
For two years I've been using a Motarola Droid Bionic. Verizon is my carrier.
I use it for:
Calls
very limited text (I use google voice and don't have txt minutes from VZ)
Gmail email and google calendar (synched with computer at home)l
limited facebook
very limited browser
Google maps and GPS when traveling
some pictures although I take lousy ones
I do not play games, do not watch movies, and don't listen to music

I am retired but attend a number of meetings and see other people using tablets for note taking or access documents in meetings or connect to internet for various reasons.

My thinking is it might be nice to get a tablet if it didn't cost too much, this includes whatever kind of data service required. Data limit on my smart phone is 2 gig / mo and I hardly use 1/8 of this. Is there a way to "bundle" this with a tablet or do i have to get another plan?

Some of the meetings include me as speaker and it might be nice to use the tablet to project documents, pictures, graphs or internet onto a screen.

So given my usage and possibilities, can i ask the pros here for suggestions on what to buy or other advice?

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi Jim, welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us here at Android Tablets. The best place on the forum for "shopping" information and recommendations is the Android Tablet Discussions section. I'm going to move your thread over there for you so folks can discuss your tablet requirements with you and hopefully make some suggestions. Good luck!

biking4jesus

Aug 27, 2011
It doesn't sound like you need a data plan at all for your tablet. Most tablets are WiFi only (no cell connection). Since you can connect to WiFi most anywhere (except while traveling), that works for most people. Some carriers do allow you to share your data among several devices. I use a 'mifi' router to provide connectivity when I need it on the road.

As far as projecting content for your talks, you need to look for a table with HDMI out. That will make it simple to connect to most video monitors, TVs, or projectors.

You will probably have to add a good note taking app or, perhaps, one of the 'Office' apps that read/write Office compatible files. You may want to add a bluetooth keyboard or get a tablet that docks to a keyboard (like the ASUS Transformers). Other than that, most of what you will need will come with the tablet.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
As for suggestions on what to buy, Jim, here's a couple of tablets that have HDMI ports, Android 4.2 Jelly Bean (latest OS version) and can be purchased at your nearest Walmart : the Hisense Sero 7 Pro has 8GB of onboard memory and costs $149.00, while the Acer Iconia A1 costs $199.00, but has a 7.9" display and comes with 16GB of internal storage. Both have front and rear cameras, 1GB of RAM and are Bluetooth enabled.

Ed