Onda Newbie

altheamae64

Dec 20, 2012
Hi everyone. I have been lurking here for about a year now but have never posted anything before. I have several queries/questions but am not particularly tech-savvy so am not sure that I will understand the instructions given, if I get answers. One of the things I have been exploring is possibly removing the screen from my Onda MID Vi40 tablet (Android version 4.0.3) because something is loose where the mains charger plugs in and I'm thinking that it could probably be fixed quite easily, if I can get the screen off!

I have found this site useful (please forgive me if you're already aware of it!) on my online travels:

Where to buy cheapest Onda-VI40 Elite-Tablet-PC-LCD-Replacement Buy Original Onda VI40 Elite Tablet PC Tablet PC Player Reparing LCD from China Onda VI40 Elite Tablet PC Reparing LCD Supplier Onda NOVO7 Aurora Edi

Another issue that I have, is that my tablet has recently started to crash when I'm downloading apps or updating apps and it then takes several minutes to reboot, often doing so up to 4 or 5 times before it settles and is usable. I am thinking that it is something to do with the firmware, but whenever I read instructions about 'flashing' etc, I get really anxious because all of the jargon really means very little to me. I have no problems though, with the thought of taking my tablet apart and doing a bit of soldering.

I have tried all of the suggestions re making the Google Play Market work, but haven't been successful, although I don't feel too disadvantaged because I have Blackmart Alpha, Ndoo, SlideMe and SnapPea Markets installed. So far, there's only one app that I haven't successfully installed from the above and that is the Asda shopping one.

I managed to get as far as successfully renaming my tablet as a Nexus S, but the Play Market still blocks me from DLing some of the content.

Apologies that this has been such a long-winded post from a first-timer! :D

UPDATE - My tablet just went loopy. A Google Play app was updating and then it kept rebooting for about 10 minutes then switched-off. When I finally managed to get it past the ONDA logo, it booted but I now have all the Chinese apps and everything is in Chinese. I have no idea what to do as I can't read or understand anything whatsoever. I'm assuming that it has done a factory reset by itself?

I am really really rubbish at tech stuff so if possible would like someone to help me with an 'Idiots Guide' to at least seeing stuff in English. I think I'll be okay from there on.

Thank you

Update to update - all okay now, I've sussed it and found a brilliant guide on another site for a CWM flashable ROM[FONT=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif], base of which was done by ONDA and modified by a Chinese guy [/FONT];)

Last edited: