Onda vi40 guide?

Maxitj

May 19, 2012
If i flash my onda vi40 elite with a newer or older firmware will the root be gone? Can you point me to right direction for rooting it(a tutorial)? Why do people use other people's firmwares posted on forums if there are official ones?

Last edited:

macthecat

May 16, 2012
Hi Maxitj

We flash firmware to try different things, there are a lot of developments in firmware, android is still a relativly new software and as such developers are heading in a lot of directions and trying to find the ultimate mix of features. Diffent flavours of firmware suit different people, finding the one that suits your needs the best is the trick; also differnet firmware allow a difenent mix of apps to be installed. Until there is a 'standard OS', I guess there will always be a very active modding scene, I think it a good thing it drives development and moves things along a at high pace.
anyway you can find diffent stcok firmware here ONDA Vi40 Elite | Android 4.0 - 9.7" IPS Tablet - Tablet PC and a guide to help you install here A10 Firmware Images and Instructions | Top Notch Tablets. there are alot of modders creating their own bespoke firmwares you choose which is best for you, good luck mate.

Last edited:

Maxitj

May 19, 2012
Hi Maxitj

We flash firmware to try different things, there are a lot of developments in firmware, android is still a relativly new software and as such developers are heading in a lot of directions and trying to find the ultimate mix of features. Diffent flavours of firmware suit different people, finding the one that suits your needs the best is the trick; also differnet firmware allow a difenent mix of apps to be installed. Until there is a 'standard OS', I guess there will always be a very active modding scene, I think it a good thing it drives development ans moves things along a at high pace.
anyway you can find diffent stcok firmware here ONDA Vi40 Elite | Android 4.0 - 9.7" IPS Tablet - Tablet PC and a guide to help you install here A10 Firmware Images and Instructions | Top Notch Tablets. there are alot of modders creating their own bespoke firmwares you choose which is best for you, good luck mate.
Ok thanks, you've got a nice explanation there. The second link(the tutorial isnt working) would you mind giving me another one? I've already got v1.0 preinstalled and so far is good, i wanna know what do other people use. I see some angel v1.1 or tnt v1.0 firmwares. Are they good to be installed on onda vi40, will i brick it?
And pls tell me will i remove root access if i flash it?

macthecat

May 16, 2012
Hi
The links seems to be working ok for me be here a guide for you it,s fairly straight forward just take your time and follow each step (I can't claim credit for this guide I found it el)ewhere, but I hope it helps. No you won't have to change anything root access or any other settings to reflash however you will have to rest your language after flashing as it will be Chinese afterwards, go to setting locate language a Capital A black on a white background, in the right pane tap twice on the top entry this opens the menu, select your choosen language. remember to back up before flashing if you want to keep your apps and settings

Onda Vi40Firmware Flashing Guide

1) First and before all, check in the settings / developer options that the USBdebugging mode is set. Whilst you are in the settings, look where (which menuitem) you can change the language as after you installed the 4.0.3 everythingand I mean EVERYTHING will be in Chinese.

2) Identify in the Serial Number, at the back of the Tablet, whether you have av1 or v3, important to decide which image version you need (next step).

3) Download from the Onda site the Livesuit (loader and flasher) which containsthe img and the drivers. Select the right button depending on the table version(v1 or v3). The image is correct but the drivers and the Livesuit versionaren’t (well, they weren’t for me) that’s why we will download another Livesuitin step -6-

4) Decompress the Livesuit folder you loaded in -3- with a decompression toolsuch as WINZIP, WINRAR or anything else. If you have a decompression tool,select the Decompress (unzip) here option (right click on the folder).

5) Identify where the image file is (.img) and remove the Chinese charactersfrom its name (as the other Livesuit we download in -6- will not upload thefile with these characters…..).

6) Now you have the right ICS image on your PC. We now need to download theright Livesuit and drivers,

7) Decompress the Livesuit downloaded in -6-

8) Launch the Livesuit downloaded in -6- but then select in Livesuit the img(the one you removed the Chinese characters from in its name) you downloaded in-3-

9) Power off (complete shutdown) your tablet.

10) Press the Middle button (the menu key)

11) Connect your tablet to the PC

12) Whilst pressing the middle button, press several times the power button ofyour table. That should trigger the installation of the driver and initiate theflashing. Several windows will pop-up, just continue the process (don’t abortit, answer yes or continue to all).

13) That’s it. When finished (it goes pretty fast), power on the tablet andselect the language (you’ll get several windows in Chinese popping-up, answeranything to be able to access quickly the settings and change the language

OK hope this help you, good luck

macthecat

May 16, 2012
Hi

Sorry the link seems to be working for me, but if you follow this guide you should be OK just remember to back up if you want to keep your Apps and settings and reapply after falshing, as for what firmware to choose that up to you, but it's helpful to post your experiences for others, I'm using stock V1.1 at the moment it's OK but I can't get all the apps I would like so I'll probably be changing to something else soon.

Onda Vi40Firmware Flashing Guide

1) First and before all, check in the settings / developer options that the USBdebugging mode is set. Whilst you are in the settings, look where (which menuitem) you can change the language as after you installed the 4.0.3 everythingand I mean EVERYTHING will be in Chinese.

2) Identify in the Serial Number, at the back of the Tablet, whether you have av1 or v3, important to decide which image version you need (next step).

3) Download from the Onda site the Livesuit (loader and flasher) which containsthe img and the drivers. Select the right button depending on the table version(v1 or v3). The image is correct but the drivers and the Livesuit versionaren’t (well, they weren’t for me) that’s why we will download another Livesuitin step -6-

4) Decompress the Livesuit folder you loaded in -3- with a decompression toolsuch as WINZIP, 7zip or anything else. If you have a decompression tool,select the Decompress (unzip) here option (right click on the folder).

5) Identify where the image file is (.img) and remove the Chinese charactersfrom its name (as the other Livesuit we download in -6- will not upload thefile with these characters…..).

6) Now you have the right ICS image on your PC. We now need to download theright Livesuit and drivers,

7) Decompress the Livesuit downloaded in -6-

8) Launch the Livesuit downloaded in -6- but then select in Livesuit the img(the one you removed the Chinese characters from in its name) you downloaded in-3-

9) Power off (complete shutdown) your tablet.

10) Press the Middle button (the menu key)

11) Connect your tablet to the PC

12) Whilst pressing the middle button, press several times the power button ofyour table. That should trigger the installation of the driver and initiate theflashing. Several windows will pop-up, just continue the process (don’t abortit, answer yes or continue to all).

13) That’s it. When finished (it only takes a few minutes), power on the tablet andselect the language (you’ll get several windows in Chinese popping-up, answeranything to be able to access quickly the settings and change the language), go to setting-languages (a capital A, black on a white background, in the right hand pane tap twice on the top entry this opens the langage menu and choose your desired language).

take your time and follow the guide you'll be OK, hope it helps.

Maxitj

May 19, 2012
The same one i've found on colonel zap, but in doubt which one to install xD

leftygt

Apr 11, 2012
I've updated to 1.2 - I'm thinking strongly of going back to top notch tablets 1.1 version , or maybe wait for top notch to bring out 1.2. I like their GUI much better - seems to have better functionality too.