OpenOffice Now Available on GooglePlay

Greg_E

Nov 15, 2011
Yes you read that correctly, OpenOffice is now available for free on the Play store. It's a bit bulky on my old Acer a500, but it looks mostly complete for a 1.xx.xx release. It is said to be based on OO 3.4 so not the latest version, but hey it is here! A big download at around 80mb and some things don't work well with touch like you need to grab a slider to scroll a document, but given time and this will hopefully gain traction and get up to the same level as the computer version.

I've only test the word processor function so far, so don't yell at me if other things don't work. This is really best on a tablet, can't imagine it working well on a smaller phone display.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
This is truly a most welcome addition to Android and an amazing first step. Can't wait to see it evolve. Just one more great reason to upsize to a larger screen.

Greg_E

Nov 15, 2011
Yes, my 1280x800 screen is a little cramped. Getting near time to replace this old tablet anyway so I'll need to start shopping. Windows 8.1 still doesn't do a few things I want, so I'll need an Android tablet around for a while and this just makes it easier to live without a computer.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
This might get a few fence sitters to come over to Android.:cool:

Macktion

Dec 18, 2013
Yes! I actually do most of my work on Open Office, it will be nice to have it for Android as well.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I'm a little surprised at the 3.9 rating. It also doesn't appear that it's all that new.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
I guess that porting a desktop app to Android isn't all that easy and doesn't happen overnight. The developers need to make further improvements for it to be more compelling to capture Android user enthusiasm. After all, even if it's only meant to be a carry over from the desktop version, how are they going to resolve the problem of not being able to print directly, without a separate app?

Music

Feb 5, 2011
At least the OpenOffice stuff is written in Java, and the Nexus 7/13 has the new HP printing module.

I still prefer to edit documents on a desktop PC than on a tablet. There's something about viewing a document on a 27 inch screen that appeals to me ;)

We need to discuss the HP Print thing somewhere, or is there a discussion here already?

Last edited:

Music

Feb 5, 2011
Yeah, I saw a couple of that stuff last semester. It was a regular notebook with a touchscreen.

Let's see you mount that in your car for navigation, or use it for a phone call!

Last edited:

Greg_E

Nov 15, 2011
As a 1.xx.xx version it certainly has a way to go, but this is still a big step forward. I've been using the free Kingsoft Office for a while and it works great, except that everything I build on my computers is an ODF which isn't supported in Kingsoft. Hopefully other people will pick up the development task and help bring this up to speed.

Natey2

May 25, 2012
Ported apps tend to be larger, and Java apps tend to be larger (because of libraries? ) than native Android apps.

AndrOpenOffice is 209MB installed.
That's more than 4X the size of my Netflix app.

Polaris Office 5 (came pre-installed with my Samsung Galaxy S4) is 6.5MB.
Documents To Go (Full, v3) is about 10.5MB.

uzerunyn.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

Natey2

May 25, 2012
Decisions, decisions... when I open a text document:
epeqepuh.jpg

AndrOpen Office is much slower to open, but it presents a more familiar user interface to the most commonly used Word Processor out there, for people who like that.
It handles .odt files, that other Android apps can't.
It badly needs pinch-zoom support; menus are hard to select.
vame9yqa.jpg

If you do a lot of editing on a mobile device, it may be a pain to use, in its current state. I'll stick with Documents To Go for editing, and Polaris 5 for reading, on my S4.
I need to try and get my Nexus 7 back from my kid to test AndrOpen there.

I suspect things will improve shortly for AndrOpen. It is a good initial release.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited: