• newest with stand alone overtop

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • newest stay the way it's built

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

techmaster26

Jul 24, 2011
Hello Guy's,

I am new to this site but not to the rooting idea. I have a rooted DX running CM7 nightly 36 right now. I am posting this because I what the most proven set up for my nook. So excuse any noobish questions if you may, for I may have a couple lol.

1. Show of hands. Should I A. Flash newest CM7 nightly with overclock kernel pre-installed ? or B. Install stand alone kernel over pre-installed (CM7) kernel? or C. Should I go with <32 nightly and install stand alone kernel.

2. Is there a nightly to steer clear of?

3. Should I reformat to old partition system or stay new (blue sticker)?

4. Apps that are not compatible?

Thanks guys!

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Welcome to the forum, impressive first post. I'm pretty used to "Hi, I'm ..." :), not someone creating a Poll.

techmaster26

Jul 24, 2011
Thanks! I have been modding for year but one thing I have learned is that experiments can were on your device. So I want to mod my nook the best way first!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
As spider said best way is subjective. These little Nooks are quite capable and can be configured many ways. Here is how I would approach it.

Prep: Resgister the Nook with B&N using a gmail account that you will have associated with Android Market.

1. Create a bootable ClockworkMod Recovery (CWR) SD if you don't already have one using the latest CWR you can find. Backup your stock system this can be handy to have just in case. Particualrly since I predict you are going to catch tinerkitus once you have your Nook.

2. Reformat the new partition setup to the old allocations.

3. Start with CM7 7.0.3 Encore stable. Get a nice basic setup, make sure wifi and Market are working, prefered launcher etc. Then make a backup including something for apps and data like Titanium Backup. Now you have a bench mark to return to and compare against, plus a usuable tablet in case you run into issues trying advaced mods.

4. Since you have two backups and a good idea of how the Nook is going to run something like CM7, have fun and go nuts. Try phiremod, UD, nightlies, OC kernels the whole nine yards. Again, what you will find is that best is subjective.

Welcome and let us know how it goes.

:D JP

Last edited: