OS Updates And Support

Dazza

Jan 4, 2021
Hello, I'm looking to get my first tablet, decided its time to stop squinting at my smartphone. I think I've settled on the Samsung Tab S5e, but worried its running android 9.0 and from what I've read, I would only get two updates (and 10.0 is being rolled out already). When OS support stops does it render the tablet immediately obsolete or will it gradually limited apps available to me? Any suggestions for new tablets with similar spec/price gratefully received.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
With tablets and smartphones the norm is to be able to upgrade the device for two major versions following the one that comes on the tablet, e.g. Android 7.1.1 > 8.1 > 9.0. So, no matter which tablet you get, you would be lucky to get more than two years support out of the manufacturer.

Now, with Android as mature as it is, a lack of updates is not a death sentence for your tablet. It will continue to operate for several years to come, even with no updates. The good news however is that you're looking into a Samsung tablet. Samsung, as the largest smartphone manufacturer in the world, has a very devoted fanbase. While the fanbase for their tablets is much smaller, Samsung devices usually have hobbyist developers available who will create custom ROMs for them that will allow you to upgrade the device beyond the time frame mandated by Samsung.

The hardware of course will soon be outpaced by newer hardware, but this is normal and nothing to be concerned about, especially if the current hardware still fulfills your needs adequately.

I believe updates for tablets are not as essential as they are for smartphones. Unless you have LTE data on your tablet, I wouldn't worry about the software too much and just enjoy the tablet.