Other regions rolling out updates includign NZ/AU.

diiorio

Dec 21, 2011
With intial batches out and less hit to servers (at least we can hope). Acer Announced they are going ahead with the next region releases of ICS, incluidng the wrong cued Oceanic version.

It has started in NZ/AU in small batches and should increase. It is also rolling ou in INdia and other various areas.

stroppy

Apr 28, 2012
I'm in Melbourne, Australia's second largest city. The update came through at about 2am this morning, of all times. I wasn't able to sleep so I turned on my A500 to read a bit more from an ebook when a message flashed up on the screen telling the unit was going to update and that I should update flash and reinstall the Kobo reader after the update (plus all the other stuff about power, etc...). The actual download was painfully slow. It crept along, despite the fact that I have a lightning fast cable connection to my WiFi router. At about 4am the update package automatically unzipped and the install process started. A few minutes later...Hooray! ICS 4.03. So far the A500 is running really well (fingers crossed) and the user experience is very similar to what I get with the A200 tablet in our family. The only difference is that the A500 doesn't get that circle selector widget that the A200 has. Not a big deal.

The funny thing about this is that the Iconia Help Desk people down here told me that Australia would be getting the update on the 16/17th of May. They must have increased their server ability or something...anyway...it's nice that everything happened early.

diiorio

Dec 21, 2011
I think they have their own server for AU/NZ now. Should lessen chances of any data curruption. OTA's are single lines of code.

I have a older cousin who works for Acer NA in california. He can speak for the NA side of things but cleared up issues that were slowing things down. because of the intial code in the tablets, when they throttle connections it gives that bogus message becase of the way the tablets os interprets it in the cue.

Acer was delaying other releases becuase of throttles and the number of units expected to get it globally.

So he believes they placed a server setup or distribution for the OTA verification up in more regions. Becuase ICS changes very important aspects of the OS, a minor bug can becoem a major headache if the isntall isn't clean. THere are asian north serv distributions out of Tokoyo, and 1 EU, 1 ME/SA. Now 2 NA.

It was needed for the AU/NZ OTA's to be smooth, while lessenign the load else where.

Last edited:

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
That however flies in the face of they way distributed HC. Whenever the updates came NZ was first cab off the rank, then AU and EU and about 2 weeks later the first few would be getting it in the US and CN.

From what I know my A500 is older than Stroppy's. Yeah a bit strange.

Batchman

May 14, 2011
Douvie said:
That however flies in the face of they way distributed HC. Whenever the updates came NZ was first cab off the rank, then AU and EU and about 2 weeks later the first few would be getting it in the US and CN.

From what I know my A500 is older than Stroppy's. Yeah a bit strange.

This is the first time I've gotten an update here in Germany almost concurrently with the US. Previous updates, like 3.2, all came several weeks later.

savi18

Jun 29, 2011
no update to ics here in NZ yet as of 20/05/2012 must have pressed the update button a thousand times. anyone in NZ got it yet

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
no update to ics here in NZ yet as of 20/05/2012 must have pressed the update button a thousand times. anyone in NZ got it yet
The rollout happened the same time as AU and a few boys on your side of the Ditch had it before me. It may have something to do with where your device is in the serial number range.

Is your A500 stock or rooted? This may play a part. You must have 3.2.1 and have updated the updater. To check, go GOOGLE PLAY, go to updates. Scroll your app list so you get to the bottom of the list and it may be sitting waiting for you to do a manual update.