Outlook Web Access

lite751

May 22, 2011
I can access my work email via Outlook Web Access using the default browser. However, I have problems when I am already in the OWA page. Scroll function does not work and I can't view the messages below the screen. To be able to make the scroll function work, I must view the message as a "web page". This also makes it difficult to respond to emails since the keyboard blocks half of the screen so I can't see what I'm typing. Am I missing something or is this a limitation of the default browser?

Scroll function works in other websites using the default browser. Thanks in advance.

dublea

Feb 22, 2011
As far as actually using OWA from the default web browser, yes, it is due to it's limitations of Java scripting and ActiveX. But, why use OWA when you have an Email app that will sync with exchange in the first place? If it's blocked by your works IT department, I'd advise speaking with them to see if they will allow you to use an Android based device for syncing with their exchange server. I've had issues with my work due to the certificate and other security problems. I had to use a modified Email.apk to bypass the security and still sync. It's works damn well too =P

lite751

May 22, 2011
Thanks for the confirmation dublea. Might as well use the email app, hopefully our IT guys won't make my life more difficult by not granting me access. Thanks for the link too (modified email.apk), I'd better use this if all else fails. ;)

dhuhtala

Feb 17, 2011
I would also like to use OWA for work because the native app really, really sucks! It's fine for reading emails as they come in but if you have to find one from a few days ago...give up now! There is absolutely no search or sort function whatsoever. Being in Canada with a Xoom stuck at version 3.1 also means I can't use contractions because of the apostrophe bug that was fixed in 3.2. I'm amazed at how bad the email client is on a Google operating system! No search function from Google? Really?

The built in browser works with OWA's light client okay. With Exchange 2010, there is a full client that works great on a PC but not on a tablet. The only browser I found that works at all is Firefox - but the preview window is way too small. It's functional if you move the preview window to the bottom instead of the right side.

Let us know if anyone finds a better way to use Exchange!

Samwise25

Jun 18, 2012
I can access my work email via Outlook Web Access using the default browser. However, I have problems when I am already in the OWA page. Scroll function does not work and I can't view the messages below the screen. To be able to make the scroll function work, I must view the message as a "web page". This also makes it difficult to respond to emails since the keyboard blocks half of the screen so I can't see what I'm typing. Am I missing something or is this a limitation of the default browser?

Scroll function works in other websites using the default browser. Thanks in advance.

I know there are a few emails out there for those of us locked out of exchange and outlook by our organizations. I have been using QOWA. Its and Outlook web access app that uses the standard owa page but saves the username/password which was a PAIN to add in before every time a login was needed. This fixed my need for email. I've even caught some of the Blackberry guys looking over with wanting eyes haha.

jameslo

Aug 27, 2012
Speaking on behalf of IT departments, we like OWA because the other applications tend to leave email stored on the device, either in a cache, or in temp files.

Not all email is fit for viewing by anyone that finds the phone laying around, and while readers of this forum may never, ever lose a phone, or let their kids take them to school and lose them there, others lose them all the time. Law suits and lost business are too great a cost for a few to be "convenienced."

That said, if there was a secure app that users liked that didn't jeopardize the place that gives the employees money for food and housing, we'd be all over it before the users even knew what happened.

The very reason I'm here is trying to find a suitable app for the users. IT isn't the enemy.