Overall experience with the Viewsonic Gtablet...

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
^ Following on that sentiment, I really enjoyed this:

Amazon.com: PILOTD's review of ViewSonic gTablet with 10" Multi-Touch LCD...

Rosanne Fischer says:
I too, consider myself fairly good with computers, but it was a nightmare installing and using some fairly fundamental software to merely read books with: Overdrive, pdf reader, Adobe digital editions, etc. ... I bit the bullet and installed a rom upgrade after reading how on xda developers site and the same tasks minutes later were seamless, and effortless. Adobe flash, Amazon Marketplace,Youtube, the library book reader Overdrive ... Upgrades not quite as easy but still very do-able for this 69 yr old grandma. I would stay away from ROM manager, though, I'm married for life it seems to VeganTab software and am waiting for a mini sdcard delivery to boot recovery from to steer my way out of this, and use ClockworldMod as I did originally. Lucky I didn't 'brick' it through Rom Mgr.
I had a netbook with an Atom processor and this tablet just flies in comparison to getting on the internet reading news and email, and so on. Wirelessly the netbook took for-frickin-ever though running it plugged in was somewhat better, but this tablet is three times as fast wireless as netbook plugged in.
So now I get my coffee grab the gtab, and sit at the kitchen table or in an easy chair to read the news, email, basketball results instead of bringing my coffee to hunch in front of the computer desk.
granny geek

You go, granny! :)

-Matt

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
Fuzzracer, I haven't purchased it yet, so I'm not sure if it has the protector, but very soon (as I imagine mine will be 1.2) . I will PM you with the answer as soon as I get it.

gadgetrants, That's hysterical! A 69 yr old woman that knows more about her tablet than her grandson probably does.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
The woman knows all the jargon, it's awesome. I'd be massively disappoint if it ended up being a 14-year-old boy with a bizarre sense of humor. PWND! :(

-Matt

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
The woman knows all the jargon, it's awesome. I'd be massively disappoint if it ended up being a 14-year-old boy with a bizarre sense of humor. PWND! :(

-Matt

Indeed. That would be a little unnerving.

Sent from my LG OP V using Tapatalk

Fuzzracer

Aug 4, 2011
lol that rosanne lady was on that thread as well we gotta get her in this forum I hope Im able to keep up like her when im that old. she wrote:

Ellen,
it might be good manners to update your review - really screams out at casual viewer, and you seem to have re-thought your initial take on things.
I, too, am 69 yrs old and 'rooted' my gtab in the abovementioned 20 minutes. I enjoy it so much that I bought one for my son and have offered to root his for him, as he's read too much of this negative crap and has grown hesitant.
I spent about 15 minutes with the gtab after their "over the air" upgrade, unable to install some pretty basic stuff and then gave up and rooted it to Vegan ROM

she is my hero until this sunday at 12:00 midnight, then I will have to remove her hero status lol

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
Is the procedure listed in here kind of like the "industry standard" for flashing these tablets? Just want to make sure I read these right. Or, is there a variation depending on the ROM you want to install?

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
lol that rosanne lady was on that thread as well we gotta get her in this forum I hope Im able to keep up like her when im that old. she wrote:

Ellen,
it might be good manners to update your review - really screams out at casual viewer, and you seem to have re-thought your initial take on things.
I, too, am 69 yrs old and 'rooted' my gtab in the abovementioned 20 minutes. I enjoy it so much that I bought one for my son and have offered to root his for him, as he's read too much of this negative crap and has grown hesitant.
I spent about 15 minutes with the gtab after their "over the air" upgrade, unable to install some pretty basic stuff and then gave up and rooted it to Vegan ROM

she is my hero until this sunday at 12:00 midnight, then I will have to remove her hero status lol
Wow, that is AWESOME. She'll be my hero until further notice. ;)

-Matt

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Is the procedure listed in here kind of like the "industry standard" for flashing these tablets? Just want to make sure I read these right. Or, is there a variation depending on the ROM you want to install?
Not sure if you meant the stickies at this forum, or some of the things I/others have posted? In general what I'd so is stick with the instructions that are paired with the ROM itself.

For example, Flashback is being hosted on slatedroid, so this page:

[ROM - 1.2] Flashback - Honeycomb - Alpha 7.2 (8/11/11) [G-TABLET\ZPAD T2] - SlateDroid.com

is where you want to go, to make sure you've got the most up-to-date steps for that ROM. If you're still kind of in the exploring stage, a great page to check out is:

ROM - Viewsonic GTablet For Dummies

-Matt

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
OK. I'm a member on SD too. I will check it out. Thanks Matt.

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
I sometimes feel odd posting links to other sites but it's a small community. :)

-Matt

The devs are still working out the camera and flash issue with Flashback, correct? Are they getting close, or is it more of a major issue?

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
The devs are still working out the camera and flash issue with Flashback, correct? Are they getting close, or is it more of a major issue?

Flash is good. Not quite 100%--some websites can be slow, but Flash on many game sites is working, as well as Youtube. Camera is probably a long way off.

-Matt

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
Ok, thanks for the info Matt. I ordered my Gtablet today. It should arrive around the 18th or 19th this coming week. So if you see me posting up on Sunday, you'll know I got it. lol.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Ok, thanks for the info Matt. I ordered my Gtablet today. It should arrive around the 18th or 19th this coming week. So if you see me posting up on Sunday, you'll know I got it. lol.
Cool...I love the rush of waiting for a new device! If you have any first impressions (e.g., heft in hand, viewing angle) that you want to compare or calibrate with users here, feel free to share the unboxing. :)

-Matt

Adelamarc

May 16, 2011
Hello Sharpe,

Just wanted to suggest you give Brilliant Corners a try. Once you flash a few roms it gets addicting. Brilliant Corners has full flash working and the camera. Its a froyo based rom and very stable. I've been on flashback many times as well and it is also a great rom, with great things to come. Whichever rom you decide on will be a good choice as there really aren't any bad roms for the gtablet other than stock.

Welcome to Android Tablets!

Mark

Sent from my Brilliant Corners using Android Tablet Forum