Overall experience with the Viewsonic Gtablet...

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Thanks Mark! I'm glad you plugged a non-HC ROM....it's good to get some balance here. :)

-Matt

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
I think I will work my way up the ladder so-to-speak. Brilliant Corners looked promising, but I may try a gingerbread first. Not totally sure. The HC roms look sooooo tempting. Gonna hold out though.

Question: do you have to go back to a base ROM before flashing a different one, or can you just flash right over it (clear data/cache) like on my LG OP-V?

Sent from my LG OP V using Tapatalk

Adelamarc

May 16, 2011
Often you can get away with flashing one over another. A stock flash is only required if you get a crazy amount of errors. For the honeycomb roms, a stock baseline often works well as they are slightly more difficult roms for the gtablet to handle. With that said, I have gone straight from BC to Flashback with no problems. All gtabs seem to operate slightly different for whatever reason so you'll just have to see how yours handles the flashing. The best news is that NVflash can easily save you if you have a nonboot issue.

Mark

Edit: PS. Technically to work up the android ladder, you should go BC/froyo, gingerbread, then honeycomb. The CM7 gingerbread roms are also really fun to use. Just have fun and let us know if we can help.

Sent from my Brilliant Corners using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
Yea, I know about the android ladder. Lol. I will more than likely flash a froyo first. Are there any issues flashing from HC back down to GB or froyo?

Adelamarc

May 16, 2011
I usually NVflash back to stock to go back from HC. I've directly flashed before but the performance of BC was never as snappy that way.

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
I figured it would be better to go back to baseline first.

As far as setup, I can follow the sticky for installing Clockwork and flashing right? They don't do anything weird for the 1.2 variable?

Also, bought my tablet through Amazon via Woot. I see the posts pop up on here now and then, are they a popular seller?

Last edited:

Adelamarc

May 16, 2011
If you install a Roebeet rom you wont need clockwork to load it. Just unzip his rar file to the root of the tab and press power and volume up at boot until the tab says " detect recovery key pressed" and it should install. This will also install clockworkmod on the tab too.

The stock 1.2 recovery will also let you flash the update.zip on the root easily too. Its why I stay on the 1.2 bootloader.

As for popularity, I think Roebeet deserves probably the most of the credit in making the gtab what it is today. Thanks to his work and now the work of all the other hard working rom producers, the gtab is continuously recommended as a good tablet for android users. The gtab section of slatedroid is very active and speaks to the popularity of a vendor abandoned (well at least nearly abandoned) android tablet.

The gtab has wonderful developers. To any reading this thread, thank you for your hard work!

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
If you install a Roebeet rom you wont need clockwork to load it. Just unzip his rar file to the root of the tab and press power and volume up at boot until the tab says " detect recovery key pressed" and it should install. This will also install clockworkmod on the tab too.

The stock 1.2 recovery will also let you flash the update.zip on the root easily too. Its why I stay on the 1.2 bootloader.

As for popularity, I think Roebeet deserves probably the most of the credit in making the gtab what it is today. Thanks to his work and now the work of all the other hard working rom producers, the gtab is continuously recommended as a good tablet for android users. The gtab section of slatedroid is very active and speaks to the popularity of a vendor abandoned (well at least nearly abandoned) android tablet.

The gtab has wonderful developers. To any reading this thread, thank you for your hard work!

I agree. Seems BC will be my first ROM. Roebeet seems to have worked very hard to make this a sweet ROM. It looks to me like he actually went back to zero and started from scratch before he released 1.0.0. All I can say is wow, that is dedication to perfection.

Adelamarc

May 16, 2011
BC is a great place to start. The stock launcher for BC has a persistant button bar at the bottom of the screen that can't be changed, however adw and go launcher can be used instead of the stock launcher. You may even like the bottom bar its just a preference thing.

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
I think sticking with the ladder method is a good idea (going from froyo up). It gives the devs more time to work with HC to get it squared away. Also it gives me a broader experience with multiple ROMs which is always good.

Adelamarc

May 16, 2011
I agree it is a great plan. Pretty soon you'll be a flashing wizard like Matt!

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
I'm really starting to fall in love with ADW launcher. I was a diehard Launcher Pro user, but I am changing my mind.

Adelamarc

May 16, 2011
I've got a friend that's a big ADW fan. I have to say I'm really enjoying Go Launcher EX on both my phone and tablet. Its really easy to swap go launcher themes. I'm sure it is on ADW too, I just found a theme I really like on go launcher

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
I just read Roebeet's nvflash FULL restore on XDA. Does this throwback the tablet to 1.1 or 1.2? It is also very close to recovering an LG OP V when the flash doesn't go right, should be a breeze if I trash the tab.

I have also compiled a "list" of ROMs and just general "good to have" information. ROMs are organized in folders as follows: Brilliant Corners (1.3.0), CM7 Gingerbread (08082011), and Flashback HoneyComb (7.2 Alpha). I won't flash them all in a week, and I plan on keeping up with them as they are updated. I will change ROMs alot to determine where I want to be, but, for now, this is the "definitive" short list (lol). I think I may try the Vegan Gingerbread too, just having difficulty defining where it is exactly. Referencing the site here (thanks gadgetrants) takes me to the same place for both Vegan and CM7.

Last edited: