pam

pammi1

Jan 22, 2013
Hi
please can someone please tell me how i can update the dell streak 7 inch tab running on 2.3 to icecream sandwich, but in a very easy way please i have tried watching videos, but its like a different langauge, im not a tech person so please please help me to upgrade as i got this for my son who has very special needs
thank you

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Given your lack of knowledge, do not attempt to root. You'll render your Streak useless.

I'm sorry if I sound rude, but rooting is not something that can be done cold turkey. My question for you is why you need ICS on the Streak?

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Welcome to the forum!

Agree with Traveller, Rooting is not something to just do to get a newer version of Android because you want it. You can do some damage, and also giving a rooted tablet to someone who does not understand what it means to be rooted (full admin privileges) can be dangerous. Rooted tablets are also more vulnerable for viruses, and potential hackers because the entire device is available to them.

Also, a video of how to do it is probably better than some writeup as it will probably have the same tech jargon in it.

Here is a writeup on rooting: What is Rooting on Android? The Advantages and Disadvantages | Droid Lessons

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
If she knew how, she could unroot the Streak after the update. However, I don't believe her son is going to care whether he has Gingerbread or ICS on his tablet. From personal experience (Streak 5 running Gingerbread) there aren't enough changes between the two versions to justify rooting specifically to upgrade.