Pandigital Novel observations

greenwyvern

Aug 16, 2010
In a previous post I mentioned how bad the Pandigital Novel was that I picked up at
Kohls. Today I received a call from Bed Bath & Beyond. I had a rain check there
so I decided to try another Novel. This one is much better. Here are a few observations.
(I am an aveage user...don't know how to hack, root

1. For the first hour it refused to connect to my wifi lan. After an hour of trying I decided to do a reset to factory settings. Bingo, first try it connected.

2. However after the reset I lost the books that had been in the library including the users guide.

3. Was able to download user guide from Pandigital site. But the other books are history.
Don't know what they were, samples maybe?

4. The Novel does not fit into the stand that came with it. Not even close. The frame is to big for the slot on the cradle. This is no biggie. After I'm sure I am keeping it my Dremel will trim some fat off the stand.

5. This device is too heavy to use as an ereader. (expecially if you are used to a Kindle or Nook or any of the other ereaders. It takes only a few minutes for hand and arm fatique to set in. Reading the guidebook while lying on the sofa I ended up balancing the
device on my stomach. (No comments please).

6. It surfed the net faster than I expected but still slow. (note that I am in a rural site and only ATT1 g service is available.

7. I'm impressed with the battery life. It has been on now for over 7 hours (excepting the reboot) with wifi on all the time and pretty heavy usage.

8. Finger smuges are rampart on this device. Can't be helped but I did find it bothere me more than I expected.

9. If you're used to e-ink like on a Kindle or Nook adjusting to the screen may take a while. But I knew that going in.

10. If you don't have long finger nails make sure you have a finger stylus or pen stylus.

blazingwolf

Aug 16, 2010
Have you updated the firmware? There is an 8-6 update that map help with some things. Some have reported issues but I use it with no problems.

Your 1g speed is going to be slow. A faster internet connection will help with this.

I don't usually have a problem using my finger. What issues are you having there?

No issues with my stand.

I disagree about the weight but that is a personal preference thing.

Android 2.1 and 2.2 is being worked on for the Novel. :) 2.1 is real close.

greenwyvern

Aug 16, 2010
Have you updated the firmware? There is an 8-6 update that map help with some things. Some have reported issues but I use it with no problems.

Your 1g speed is going to be slow. A faster internet connection will help with this.
I don't usually have a problem using my finger. What issues are you having there?
No issues with my stand.
I disagree about the weight but that is a personal preference thing.
Android 2.1 and 2.2 is being worked on for the Novel. :) 2.1 is real close.

I suspect it does not have the latest 8-6 update. In settings the firmware name appears to have a 7-10 in it. I will update it if I decide to keep it and I think I will keep it.

Yep, 1G is terrible that is why I mentioned it. I am impressed how well it surfs with my slow connection.

My Novel will not go into the slot on the stand. The one I took back from Kohls last week fit the stand
perfectly. Dremel will fix that. Just needs a little sanding.

Overlap problem on many links when browsing with just finger. Ended up on wrong web page more than
once. I have a finger tip stylus that helps solve that problem. People with large fingers
may want to pick one up on ebay or carry a stylus in the bag with the Novel.

As for weigh I am used to a Kindle but stll I suspect most folks will not be able to support the Novel
comfortably for a solid hour of reading. Sometimes I read for 4-5 hours at a time laying on my side
holding a book or the Kindle.