Parental Locks on the A100 and A500

Dec 14, 2011
We purchased the A100 for our 3 yr old, and want to know if there is a way to lock his ability to purchase apps on his own. I have a android marketplace acct, and don't want him accidentally buying a cool app that will be pricey!!! We also bought the A500 for our 13 yr old girl, and while I am not as worried about that because like me, she likes the free, and will only shop if she has a gift card to shop with.

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

jpconard

Dec 1, 2011
I've wondered the same. With my son's Apple touch we just enter the password when we agree on app purchase. Not sure what Android has if anything for this issue.

RobKort

Nov 23, 2011
If you open the market and click on settings, you can set a password for maturity level. Unchecked everything and set the password that way you will need the password to buy anything.

Edit/there is also Kids Mode and app that keeps kids from opening anything you don't want them to open.

Sent from Rob's TapadaIconia :D

Last edited:

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
I use the app "Protector" to lock down some apps I do not want others to use when using my tablet (email, calendar, twitter, facebook, etc) and you will need a PIN to open these apps. I have tried many of these apps and this one won out because you can configure it to only ask for a PIN the first time you open one of the protected applications and all will remain unlocked until you lock the screen again.

The free version will protect 8 apps (the app itself is one of the apps, so it is really 7) and you can pay $1.00 to get the plugin to unlock it for an unlimited number of apps.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.androidpassword.core

mamawm

Dec 24, 2011
if you have small children, please check out famigo sanadbox, free in the market. it is a must have app for me. all the suitable for young children apps which you have installed are automatically loaded into the "sandbox". when you first install the app you set up a lock on the sandbox. when the child opens the sandbox all his little stuff is there and he can move from one app to another but he cannot exit from the sandbox back out to the rest of the tablet. you must first unlock it to get back out(and only you know the unlock sequence). plus the app automatically blocks the ability to click on ads in those free apps. and there's more features too. https://market.android.com/details?...=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5mYW1pZ28uc2FuZGJveCJd

ChrisB

Dec 11, 2011
Yeah, Famigo looks pretty cool. Thanks for sharing your experience. I installed it on my kid's tablets too. The main thing that prevented me from using it more was there doesn't seem to be a way to make the tablet launch into it at start up. It seems to be more used for when you want to temporarily lock down a tablet that is managed by an adult. I would certainly be interested if you were able to get it to launch at start.

mamawm

Dec 24, 2011
Yeah, Famigo looks pretty cool. Thanks for sharing your experience. I installed it on my kid's tablets too. The main thing that prevented me from using it more was there doesn't seem to be a way to make the tablet launch into it at start up. It seems to be more used for when you want to temporarily lock down a tablet that is managed by an adult. I would certainly be interested if you were able to get it to launch at start.
that's a really good idea for use on a childs tablet. why don't you contact the developer and see if that option could be included on a future update.

mamawm

Dec 24, 2011
i recently came across another really good app that is similar to famigo in functionality. it's kids mode and there are both free and paid versions. when you first download, you set up an account and then enter information for each child, name and month and year of birth. when the app is opened the child selects his name and a whole bunch of stuff comes up for them to choose from. all "games" are educational and appropriate for that childs age level. the "games" introduce reading, math, science, etc. my grandchildren are having a blast with this new app.
here's the link https://market.android.com/details?...1bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS56b29kbGVzLmtpZG1vZGUiXQ..

Last edited: