PC Data Exchange

dmrsyntech

Jul 13, 2011
I am completely new to this, so I'm sure I sound like a complete idiot, but here goes.....I really like this gizmo, and I need a unit with 2 USB ports for bar code scanners, etc. I really need for this gizmo to allow me to connect my PC through the USB port, and then allow me to have access to the SD Card for communications to the PC (data movement). Does anyone out there know how to make this beast talk directly to my PC? Thanks for all you collective help.

dmrsyntech

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
I am completely new to this, so I'm sure I sound like a complete idiot, but here goes.....I really like this gizmo, and I need a unit with 2 USB ports for bar code scanners, etc. I really need for this gizmo to allow me to connect my PC through the USB port, and then allow me to have access to the SD Card for communications to the PC (data movement). Does anyone out there know how to make this beast talk directly to my PC? Thanks for all you collective help.

dmrsyntech
Welcome! Unfortunately with the update to 2.2 this functionality was removed which previously existed in 2.1. It makes no sense as it was an easy way to mount the micro SD card from the PC to move files. Several users have attempted to express their frustration to Digital Gadgets Customer Service that this feature is missing so maybe it will make a return in a future update. It is requested often and was noted in the Quick Start Guide and in the online FAQ.

$side_angle.JPG
Digital Gadgets - Tablet FAQ

$tablet_faq.JPG

Note: There is a http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/sylvania-tablets/13447-custom-sylvania-rom-development.html effort which has been advanced with the release of the Linux Kernel http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/sylvania-tablets/18733-source-code.html that may allow the user community to create an update that would return this feature. If anyone has any ideas what elements in the 2.1 version of the firmware made this feature work and if it can be ported to 2.2 that would be of value to many users.

Work In Progress: OTG stands for On-The-Go which is a USB standard. It allows devices to act as USB controllers so that you can hook up USB mass storage to them to copy files.

In Host mode it can support keyboards, mice, and external storage devices. In Client mode it allows the device to be connected to the PC for file transfer. The OTG port is controlled by either the chipset or the kernel as referenced in this post looking for a solution to control the port through firmware. http://groups.google.com/group/beagleboard/browse_thread/thread/fbd32e921b06e80e

Based on this discussion it points to section of the Kernel below for further investigation however, it might also require changes to the bootloader and file system.

\kernel_#4209\android-linux-2.6.32.9-union-release\drivers\usb

Last edited:

meggiedude

Jun 28, 2011
I had to run it thru Google Translate and what CFROCKIT said came back as "NO" with the qualifier of "NOT YET".
lol. I believe this is called "cutting to the chase..."

Don't feel bad cfrockit. Too much info is always better than not enough :D

dmrsyntech

Jul 13, 2011
I thought I had read that this was possible. This thing would be perfect for my needs, if I could communicate with it, but alas, it looks like the folks at Dogotal Gadgets have shpot themselves in the foot. Too bad. I will look again at what else is out there, and perhaps this time, I will call first!

dmrsyntech

lorenii

May 2, 2011
I thought I had read that this was possible. This thing would be perfect for my needs, if I could communicate with it, but alas, it looks like the folks at Dogotal Gadgets have shpot themselves in the foot. Too bad. I will look again at what else is out there, and perhaps this time, I will call first!

dmrsyntech

You CAN upload/download info via a USB stick or micro-sd card. Just a little more work than plugging it into a computer.

dmrsyntech

Jul 13, 2011
I discovered on Friday that I could take the SD Card from the gizmo, put it into my card reader, and the communications with it was identical to the gizmo itself for my purposes. This allows me to do the development, but leaves this gizmo wanting as far as using this in the real worl for "data collection". I can't imagine someone in "real life" using needle nose pliers to extract the SD Card, then exchange data, then put it back. I have looked at several others, and they appear to have both Host and Client USB, so they will work for my needs, and the price is still very resonable, $138 each, plus with 8GB or memory. Better. All in all the thing seems to work fine, really idiotically well for $100. Too bad I could not use it. OBTW, the support folks merely stated the obvious, that the USB communications don't work at this time! Da. Thanks for all your help, and I look forward to more participation here.