Phone to Tablet teather?

jme574

Feb 24, 2012
I have a Samsung Galaxy Precedent and a Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101 and I am trying to find a way to use the phones unlimited data on the tablet either through teather or bluethooth. I have read that it should be possible since the phone has android 2.2 so it should be able to be used as a wifi hotspot.

This phone with this company uses Spint network not sure if it matters just trying to give as much info as possible. I have tried to setup wifi from the phone with no luck. I have been able to pair the two together with bluetooth but they both say "paired but not connected".

Does anyone know if what I am trying is possible and if so, how to do it. I am able to paypal a small fee to anyone able to walk me through how to successfully get this to work!

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Welcome to the forum!

After you paired them via Bluetooth, go into the TF bluetooth settings. Tap the spanner wrench on the right hand side of the Phone connection. If there is an option to use for internet, make sure this is ticked.

For the WiFi, can you create a WiFi hotspot other devices can use? If not, you may have to root your phone to get WiFi tethering. I am not familiar with this phone in particular to know its limitation.

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
I have a Samsung Galaxy Precedent and a Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101 and I am trying to find a way to use the phones unlimited data on the tablet either through teather or bluethooth. I have read that it should be possible since the phone has android 2.2 so it should be able to be used as a wifi hotspot.

This phone with this company uses Spint network not sure if it matters just trying to give as much info as possible. I have tried to setup wifi from the phone with no luck. I have been able to pair the two together with bluetooth but they both say "paired but not connected".

Does anyone know if what I am trying is possible and if so, how to do it. I am able to paypal a small fee to anyone able to walk me through how to successfully get this to work!

While it is true that Froyo (2.2) natvely supports wifi hotspot, most cell carriers have the feature disabled and locked out on non-rooted phones running stock firmware roms. On the sprint network, you have to pay an extra $30/month to activate the wifi hotspots feature on your unmodified phone.

Sent from my SPH-P100

jme574

Feb 24, 2012
Thank You Vferrari, that is what I needed to know was for sure if it could be done and if so how. Knowing that it is possible for a fee helps. Now the question is, the phone is one the Sprint network but hosted by Straight Talk. Who would I talk to, to get it done? I haven't been able to get anywhere looking through the info on Straight Talk's website.

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
Thank You Vferrari, that is what I needed to know was for sure if it could be done and if so how. Knowing that it is possible for a fee helps. Now the question is, the phone is one the Sprint network but hosted by Straight Talk. Who would I talk to, to get it done? I haven't been able to get anywhere looking through the info on Straight Talk's website.

Unfortunately, budget/no contract providers that piggy back on other Carriers' networks (such as Virgin Mobile which uses the Sprint network and is actually owned by Sprint) don't typically officially support tethering (even for a fee) or other 'advanced' data usage features even if the hardware supports it and the user has an 'unlimited data plan'. I know that this is true for Virgin Moblie and is explicitly prohibited by the user terms of service. See your terms of service to see if Straight Talk has a similar prohibition. The reasons for this varies but it is typically because the host network provider doesn't want the users who have unlimited data plans on the piggybacking provider to tie up bandwidth for the prime customers. You can check other third party android online forums specific to your phone and provider to see if users have found free or paid workarounds (e.g., the PDAnet app) or specific phone upgrades. A cursory check of some of the phone forums indicates that you will have a tough time finding a work around. Good luck.

Sent from my SPH-P100

Last edited: