Physical Nook Concerns

JMag

Feb 23, 2011
Hey guys,

I have some questions about your experience with the nook's build quality.I know a lot of people have had the corner sensitivity issue I am having (damn that android market search button), but I was wondering how common it is, e.g. should I return this first one I got and buy another hoping it's better? Also, towards the middle of every side of my nook, when I press down/ hold it there it ever so slightly goes inward, like there is a 1 mm gap between the top and the nook itself. I know this is a very minor thing, but being an engineer little stuff like this annoys me, plus it's not a big deal to return it. So if nobody else has this problem it would be nice to know. I will say that in every other way, the nook has been perfect.

Thanks a ton guys

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
Well i would say for your peace of mind go ahead and exchange it. I don't have a similar problem other than the market search but thhat got fixed with the calibration app

tenderidol

Feb 14, 2011
Hey guys,

I have some questions about your experience with the nook's build quality.I know a lot of people have had the corner sensitivity issue I am having (damn that android market search button), but I was wondering how common it is, e.g. should I return this first one I got and buy another hoping it's better? Also, towards the middle of every side of my nook, when I press down/ hold it there it ever so slightly goes inward, like there is a 1 mm gap between the top and the nook itself. I know this is a very minor thing, but being an engineer little stuff like this annoys me, plus it's not a big deal to return it. So if nobody else has this problem it would be nice to know. I will say that in every other way, the nook has been perfect, or it could be perfect if you are lucky :D

Thanks a ton guys

I am on my 3rd NC due to built quality problems (creaking bezels, uneven and loose black bar under the screen, etc). #1 and #3 had the same screen sensitivity (i.e., the Market search button sucked the life out of touch experience), where as #2 was a lot better (was able to hit that button at the first try in 95% of the time). However, #2 was the worst in terms of physical defects, so I had to return it. I wish the screen on #3 was as sensitive...

As long as you are within the return period, they are very accommodating if you have a defect (my experience has been with B&N; I am not sure about other retail locations). Just keep in mind that you may get another unit with additional problems.

Good luck!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Honestly in my opinion (for whatever that is worth) I think you guys are being extremely picky.

First off the sensitivity issue is probably software related and you should try this thread before simply writing the nook off and returning it. http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...7-improving-nc-screen-corner-sensitivity.html This is a known issue so it is unlikely that returning it will do you any good even if the link doesn't help. Obviously if the issue is extreme and not at the very edges you may have a legit issue.

Second, the build quality is not 100% perfect. The creaks, small gap and some light leakage is known to be part of the build quality. I have the same issue on one side of my frame with the creak. Again, if it is excessive you may have an issue but it all sounds normal to me.

You are free to do what you feel is best but as noted you may end up with a unit with more/different problems. Not to direct any hostility directly to you, but you have to keep in mind this s a $250 "ereader" in its first generation and some issues are bound to happen. I think over zealous returns are only hurting the nook at this point (like people who don't follow rooting instructions and then return the nook as broken before they ask for help).

I hope you enjoy your nook for what it is and not let its admitedly minor faults turn you off whichever way you go with returning it.

Last edited:

tenderidol

Feb 14, 2011
Honestly in my opinion (for whatever that is worth) I think you guys are being extremely picky.

First off the sensitivity issue is probably software related and you should try this thread before simply writing the nook off and returning it. http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...7-improving-nc-screen-corner-sensitivity.html This is a known issue so it is unlikely that returning it will do you any good even if the link doesn't help. Obviously if the issue is extreme and not at the very edges you may have a legit issue.

Second, the build quality is not 100% perfect. The creaks, small gap and some light leakage is known to be part of the build quality. I have the same issue on one side of my frame with the creak. Again, if it is excessive you may have an issue but it all sounds normal to me.

You are free to do what you feel is best but as noted you may end up with a unit with more/different problems. Not to direct any hostility directly to you, but you have to keep in mind this s a $250 "ereader" in its first generation and some issues are bound to happen. I think over zealous returns are only hurting the nook at this point (like people who don't follow rooting instructions and then return the nook as broken before they ask for help).

I hope you enjoy your nook for what it is and not let its admitedly minor faults turn you off whichever way you go with returning it.

Everyone feels different about their expectations of a given device. One way to look at it would be "it's a $250 tablet, what do you expect while its competitors (galaxy tab, zoom, etc) cost 3X more?" where as the other side of the coin would be "it's a $250 eRader and should be perfect, while the competitors (Kindle, SONY reader, etc) cost almost the 1/2 price".

The software related issues after rooting is one thing and should not be considered as a built quality problems, where as physical defects -albeit most of them minor- are less forgiving in my book. On the first 2 NCs that I returned, the creak was very bad, and the black bar that's between the screen and the bottom part of the bezel, as as well as the rubber strip in between them, were so loose that I was afraid that it would collect dust, debris, etc over time. Here's my approach to this: If you take your NC to the store and the manager identifies/confirms your problem within a second or two, then the exchange was granted. If he/she needs to try to recapitulate the issue for 10 minutes with you trying to explain how it happens, when it happens, etc, then it must be a very minor issue that could have been ignored. However, this is a very personal decision, and everyone will approach it differently.

Just an anecdotal example: one of my co-workers has been living with a constantly flashing battery light on his laptop for the last year and a half which indicates the need for a battery replacement. He is completely fine at staring that blinking light while doing his work, while looking at that light for 5 seconds will drive me nuts. It's just a personal preference and there is no right or wrong.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I'll agree with that ^. I am not suggesting that anybody live with real issues. Just that they take a second to consider if the issue reasonablly warrants return. I have seen enough "HELP!!11!! I am going to return my Nook it's broken" threads recently to be a little bothered. Obviously as the number of users increases the more issues that are bound to arise.

It sounds like you had some legitimit issues.

As far as the erader/tablet cost issue, the reality is it is far closer to an inexpensive tablet than a monochromatic e-ink reader so you can't really call it an expensive erader that should be much better for the price. IMHO.

*Edit: I thinnk the OP did a great job of raising the issue and asking the questions before rushing off to return his nook only to find the same issues on the new one. I just hope others consider these points when deciding if they should take their nook back.

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010

Agreed.

...and the corner issue is software related.

NattyBee

Feb 13, 2011

For what it's worth...I've noticed that in the HC rom ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=947071)…edge/corner sensitivity is either very greatly improved or fixed...I find this sensitivity issue greatly annoying...so...yep ;)

sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

GaWd

Feb 18, 2011
I share some of the OP's concerns. My bezel sounds/feels loose and has been concerning me a bit.

I'm happy that some of you don't think a $250 device is worth expectations of quality fit & finish, but I do.

I think iit's an acceptable flaw, but just barely.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I share some of the OP's concerns. My bezel sounds/feels loose and has been concerning me a bit.

I'm happy that some of you don't think a $250 device is worth expectations of quality fit & finish, but I do.

I think iit's an acceptable flaw, but just barely.

Nope, some of us are not nitpicking every single detail about the NC. Because its really not about the price. If I looked close enough I could take every electrical device I ever owned and find some small manufactoring flaw regardless of how much it cost.

Sent from my HTC Evo using Android Tablets Forum App

tenderidol

Feb 14, 2011
Complaining about a creaking bezel on an eReader/tablet is not nitpicking in my opinion. By the design/function of the device, they are supposed to be "handled", and in the case of NC, that interaction is done through the bezel. On my NC#2, the bottom strip of the bezel was loose and creaking. When I read holding it in horizontal orientation, that's where my hand holds the device. Each time I change the position of my hand or when I lift it to turn the page, I was greeted with a nice creaking/clicking. Over a 30-45 minutes of reading in a very quiet environment, this gets annoying.

Again, these are personal preference issues. Some may not even hear what I find annoying and vice versa. By the same token, I can tolerate a less than ideal speaker, since I wont be using my NC to play music, videos, etc utilizing the external speaker. However, the portion of the device that my hands interact 100% of the time should be error free in my expectations for a tablet/eReader. In fact, my current NC has zero problems with its bezel, but suffers from screen flickering and a problematic headphone jack. Since the flicker is fixable via changing the refresh rates, and the headphone jack will not see much of use, I am happily keeping my "non-creaking" NC#3 :D

Last edited: