Physical Nook Concerns

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
Gawd i am with you here - it is perfectly ok to expect a build that meets your expectations - nothing wrong with that, if others want to live with it, that's thier perogative- as i said for the OP's peace of mind he should return it for replacement - i am sure B&N tracks return rates and root cause the returns - this only leads to improvement in the product/future products

I don't actually think noting a finish issue is nitpicking.

BoloMKXXVIII

Jul 27, 2010
I must be lucky. My NC hardware is perfect. I thought it was better built than other tablets I have looked at in the last few months.

JMag

Feb 23, 2011
Complaining about a creaking bezel on an eReader/tablet is not nitpicking in my opinion. By the design/function of the device, they are supposed to be "handled", and in the case of NC, that interaction is done through the bezel. On my NC#2, the bottom strip of the bezel was loose and creaking. When I read holding it in horizontal orientation, that's where my hand holds the device. Each time I change the position of my hand or when I lift it to turn the page, I was greeted with a nice creaking/clicking. Over a 30-45 minutes of reading in a very quiet environment, this gets annoying.

Again, these are personal preference issues. Some may not even hear what I find annoying and vice versa. By the same token, I can tolerate a less than ideal speaker, since I wont be using my NC to play music, videos, etc utilizing the external speaker. However, the portion of the device that my hands interact 100% of the time should be error free in my expectations for a tablet/eReader. In fact, my current NC has zero problems with its bezel, but suffers from screen flickering and a problematic headphone jack. Since the flicker is fixable via changing the refresh rates, and the headphone jack will not see much of use, I am happily keeping my "non-creaking" NC#3 :D

I completely agree with this entire post. There is a line between nitpicking and a problem that impacts the enjoyment of using the device. Yes rico, I agree every piece of equipment has defects. In fact, the bezel on my monitor creaks very heavily with the slightest touch, yet I don't plan on returning it because unlike the nook, I do not touch the bezel of my monitor constantly when I am using it. I also am glad J515 made the point I planned to, that any company would KILL to have all their customers come to a forum and discuss their concerns or search for solutions before returning like I did. I researched the corner issue first and resolved it, but in the end I brought it back to walmart over the creaking bezel, mind you exactly the way I bought it save for the outside shrink-wrap, and purchased another one with my refund that ended up meeting all of my expectations. I don't think any of us wants to butt heads over this, but the opportunity to return the device is part of what you pay for. Do you think Barnes and Noble would sell as many nooks if they had a zero return policy? Of course not, and they build this into their costs accordingly just like any company.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I am glad you got it sorted and are happy with your Nook, that's the bottom line :D