Picked one up on Sunday...

Angus66

Oct 17, 2011
After looking at the Samsung Tab 2 7" on display at a few stores late last week (and liking what I saw), I pulled the trigger and purchased one Sunday.

Haven't used it a lot yet, but I'm pleased with it so far. Have done mostly web browsing, watched some movie trailers on YouTube, read a few chapters of a book and played some (non-graphically demanding) games like Angry Birds, Cut the Rope, etc. Will be doing a lot more with it after installing a 32GB micro sd card that's due to arrive today.

I purchased a Kindle Fire for my wife (which she loves) on launch day and I'll definitely be comparing it to the Tab 2 over the next few days.
I also have an OG Transformer, but I don't think it would be fair to compare the Tab 2 to it (or vice versa).

I know there isn't a lot of enthusiast interest in this tablet due to the (last generation) specs, but the overall package + the reasonable price made it a no-brainer for me.

mpmilestogo

Mar 13, 2010
Hi. I have a wifi xoom currently which I have had since it launched last year. I'm interested in a smaller form factor which may be more useful for media browsing like netflix or hulu+. Does netflix or hulu+ work on this tablet? I also use the xoom for productivity type stuff with quickoffice so am interested in whether the smaller screen poses any issues. Finally, I know you have just had the slate for a day or so, but with regular use how is battery life? On the Xoom, I am very impressed with battery life and its a google experience device so updates happen frequently on the wifi version.

Thanks for any additional information you could provide on media and battery plus whether you have used an office suite on it at all.

cdholland87

May 6, 2012
Got mine this weekend. Very very very happy with it. It's a no brainer compared to the Kindle Fire, it wins hands down. But I do think they two are in very different classes.

Although my HTC Amaze phone has a better processor and GPU, I haven't had an issue with anything being slow on the tablet. I can do everything and anything I need it to do. Battery life has been outstanding so far. I can go two days easily on medium usage, and even a full day with heavy usage. I also expect battery life to get better once I get a few charge cycles in with it. The tablet comes with a couple very cool features already built in, such as Peel remote control, which works awesome. I also like the calendar app quite a bit better than the native Android calendar. Ice Cream Sandwich runs flawlessly on it, and looks very cool too. The OP mentioned gaming on it, and I wanted to add that I recently purchased Grand Theft Auto III from the Google Play store, and it runs very well. Haven't had an issue yet.

mpmilestogo, the Tab 2 does come preloaded with Netflix, which works fine for me. It crashed twice on me while trying to make a selection, but I restarted the tablet and haven't had an issue since. Hulu+ is currently not supported for this device, but it's also brand new, and I'm sure it will be soon.

Overall, I give this a 4 out of 5 stars. The only two complains I have are that the screen is not very good in sunlight (I actually thought it was AMOLED, so my bad there) and the fact that everything talks about the tab's 8 gigs of internal memory, but nearly half of that is already used by the OS and preloaded apps, so I was pretty much forced to get a MicroSD for it.

vectorman

Jun 7, 2011
@cdholland87:
For better reading in sunlight, open Google Play Books, select your book, tap the Font symbol (Aa); you can then toggle between "Day" and "Night" view. The Night view will have white text on a black page, and this is much more readable in sunlight.

@rap66:
Yes, it does have GPS.

Last edited: