Pictures Inside a Craig CMP738B

m3red

Oct 19, 2011
Ok i got alittle bored when i was waiting for my test rom to load up on my laptop. So a idea popped in to my head. Hey why dont you open up your CMP738B and see whats inside. And so i did and this is what i found. The one on the right is the Wifi hardware. Rt2870sta. It looks like they used a USB wifi stick and took the plastic and usb off of it and replaced with a small 4 pin molex connecter.

$Inside a Craig CMP738B.JPG$CMP738B Wifi hardware.JPG

Last edited:

Echoes

Dec 16, 2011
Nice... So... If one were to get a different USB wireless card that would otherwise fit, desolder the connecter from it, and then solder it to the wires currently connecting the stock wifi, would it in theory be possible to upgrade the card to a better one with Wireless N capability perhaps? Not saying that is something the masses should attempt, just a thought should my wifi ever fail.

m3red

Oct 19, 2011
In theory yes. If its useling a ralink hardware you might be able it get bin file and change the setting or just rename the file to the old file name so it will still use the same path and config but it would be using a much better hardware. Hmmm i wonder if a usb wifi stick would work on this tablet.

Echoes

Dec 16, 2011
I wonder if it is possible to use an Ovation MC760... You can get those on Virgin Mobile fairly cheap and I have one grandfathered onto the $40/Unlimited (5GB before they throttle) plan... Internal 3G would be neat.

m3red

Oct 19, 2011
This tablet has the same hardware as 35 different usb wifi stick models. Its using a rk2870sta driver. Made by RalinkTech. Same driver as a linux system would use.

Belkin and linksys used them in a few models.

Sent from my Craig CMP738B Rooted with working Android Market and Android Tablet Forum