Play Books -- cannot remove default books from library

sutekh137

Apr 12, 2012
Hey all,

I'm enjoying my A100 so far, but have an annoying issue with Play Books. Can't believe that nothing turned up while researcging (googling) the issue, but I came up empty.

Not sure if it is built in for all Acer tablets or just the one I got from GameStop (it was bundled with some nice games...), but there are three "classic" titles in Play Books by default. I want them gone.

No matter how much I remove them from the tablet (both "remove from device" and "remove from library"), they keep re-appearing. If I "Delete Permanently" the titles in Play Books on the Google web site (via my desktop computer), they disappear from there, but still keep re-appearing on the tablet (and then will re-appear in Google Play on my computer screen right before my eyes).

I can't uninstall the Play Books app because it is a system app. And no, I'm not going to root over this, not with ICS coming out in the next couple of weeks (supposedly).

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of these stupid books? In case there is any question about the titles I am talking about (or if others have a similar scenario), the books are "Treasure Island", "Wuthering Heights", and "The Three Musketeers."

Please help me get rid of these books, as I'd like to conserve the A100's decent-but-not-huge 8 GB if internal card space as much as possible.

Thanks in advance for any help regarding this issue!

Thanks!
sutekh137

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I kind of remember this issue, and it seemed to me that although the titles were in your library they were not actually downloaded to your device until you opened them to read.

sutekh137

Apr 12, 2012
I kind of remember this issue, and it seemed to me that although the titles were in your library they were not actually downloaded to your device until you opened them to read.

Tom, thanks for the response.

It's funny, right after I posted (isn't that how it always goes?) I went to Applications, deleted Play Books data, and "force quit" the app. So, as long as I don't open it again, I guess I am saving the space...

Still, it's annoying that I can't obliterate them entirely. Perhaps as I continue to explore Google Play I will find some more advanced options, or I might go ahead and root after the ICS push (hopefully that will be soon!)

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply...

Thanks,
sutekh137

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Still, it's annoying that I can't obliterate them entirely. sutekh137

Well, at least you're not alone. There's a sample Good Housekeeping Cookbook on my Nook I've been trying to obliterate for over a year now.:eek:

sutekh137

Apr 12, 2012
Well, at least you're not alone. There's a sample Good Housekeeping Cookbook on my Nook I've been trying to obliterate for over a year now.:eek:

:eek: ...and at least none of this takes up too much space, even when it does keep coming back! *smile*

Good Housekeeping Cookbook -- I'm going to be smirking all afternoon over that one...

Thanks,
sutekh137