Playing movies on my toshiba thrive

Iceman

Nov 3, 2011
Hello everyone, I'm new to this site and was looking for helpful information on playing videos on my thrive. I've saved movies to my portable hard drive and plug it into my thrive to play back the videos and it wont play them. I was told to download v player which I did and the videos would play but with problems. The sound would jump in and out and would constantly be behind the actual video like a cheap kung fu movie. Any suggestions???

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hello Iceman, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new tablet. Sorry to hear you're having problems with it and I'm moving your post to the Toshiba Thrive section. The folks there are familiar with your tablet and should be able to help.

batfish

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2011
Hello everyone, I'm new to this site and was looking for helpful information on playing videos on my thrive. I've saved movies to my portable hard drive and plug it into my thrive to play back the videos and it wont play them. I was told to download v player which I did and the videos would play but with problems. The sound would jump in and out and would constantly be behind the actual video like a cheap kung fu movie. Any suggestions???

Hello and Welcome! :) You could also try MX Player but for better results I think you would be better off converting your videos. Check out DVD Catalyst

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I've had similar problems, sometimes you need to disable hardware decoding on your device, or enable it. Mainly I use Rockplayer.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Android Tablet Forum

D

dvdcatalyst

Hi Iceman, welcome to the forums,

What format are your video files in?

For HD files, the Thrive likes special-optimized h264 mp4 files the best, and they play great using the build-in Gallery app which has hardware acceleration for video playback (making it capable of playing even 1080 video files at 20Mbps+). For all other video formats, such as AVI, MKV, you can use video players from the market such as RockPlayer, MoboPlayer, MX Player or DicePlayer, however, in most cases, these players use software-decoding for video playback, which is not as powerful. 720p MKV files can be played with Dice Player, but anything higher than that will stutter as you already ran into.