Playing videos in Nook Color

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
Excellent RavenJ - perhaps you can also add your comments on video quality as well as file size, and movie lenght

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Sure.. Overnight, I encoded Avatar with the exact same settings except for the bitrate being set to 800.. It looks good. Not HD, but then I don't expect HD for a file 1/3 the size of the original.. It went from 3gb to 1gb. Today's encodes have been at 900, to try and improve the video quality a smidge without exploding the fiesize. One of those files was Star Wars ANH.. The original was 1.43GB, and the compressed one is 906MB. Not a huge drop in size, but every byte helps.. Uploading it to my device now to see how it turned out.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Ok, just checked out SWANH, and it looks pretty good. Again, not HD, but it wasn't HD before the conversion either. The only gripe I have is that I see a few artifacts and some color shifting. Nothing major, and certainly not bad for a portable device, but I think it could be made better. Anyone have a suggestion based on my settings?

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Scratch the artifacts and color shifting thing.. I just looked at the original on my desktop system and they're in there too.. Garbage in, garbage out, ya know? So based on that, I'm pretty pleased with the settings. They seem to be faithfully reproducing what you give it. Awesome, now I can convert all my movies.. Anyone know where I can get a bulk discount on 32GB microSDs? lol

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Scratch the artifacts and color shifting thing.. I just looked at the original on my desktop system and they're in there too.. Garbage in, garbage out, ya know? So based on that, I'm pretty pleased with the settings. They seem to be faithfully reproducing what you give it. Awesome, now I can convert all my movies.. Anyone know where I can get a bulk discount on 32GB microSDs? lol
16GB seems to be running mid-20s (if you're OK with a Class 4 card...Class 6-10 is pricey). 32GB is definitely too rich for my blood right now ($70-$80)!

Couple of impressions:

(1) You got 84fps encoding rate on Transformers?!?!??! Man that's awesome. I wonder if your machine has something to do with it?

(2) Noticed the Transformer original was 480 wide, right? My suggestion is to try and start with a bigger original, and scale it down to a size you like. Got access to DVD rips? ;) It's a long story, but I've been moving HD movies off my Dish receiver (I can capture them in 720p) and yeah the h.264 portable copies are near-perfect.

(3) Remind me where your source videos are coming from? Knowing a little more about them might give me some ideas on improving transcoding...

-Matt

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
1 - That'd be my machine's fault.. It's a CAD/3D system. Gots to have some horsepower for that stuff..

2 - It's small because I looked for a small file to dump directly on to the NC.. I didn't know about Handbrake at the time, so I avoided the huge HD versions. Now I know better.

3 - Torrent =)

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Well, I didn't see (3) but... :rolleyes: ...given that there is flexibility in the files you're using for source, I say start with the best quality you can! I'm getting around 70fps transcode rate using 720p source files recorded at 60fps, which is still better than real time.

-Matt

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
I'm currently downloading a 720p version of Transformers (of which I do own the BR, so I can do that legally..) to see how much of an improvement it gives me using the same settings..

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
You're a mindreader...I was going to say "acquire" whatever you own and call it a backup! I think that's the rationale that programs like DVDShrink and FairUse Wizard are based on.

-Matt

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
I have a rather extensive DVD/BR collection, so pretty much anything I download, I'm going to have on the shelf. I like owning the "hardcopy" version because of the box art. A few things I don't, but the're obscure stuff that's impossible to find these days. By getting download versions, I (or my 5 year old) don't end up trashing my real ones.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
No way! I don't want people putting their grubby fingers on my discs! However, Redbox + Handbrake might be interesting ;)

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Ick...I didn't think of the grubby fingers. Redbox+Handbrake? You naughty boy.

-Matt

markiej

Dec 22, 2010
Ok, here are all my tabs.. If there are more settings, just tell me and I'll post them..

Those are good settings, but I just some notes on these - I've been tinkering with this like crazy with vid settings
$vid1.jpg$vid2.jpg$vid3.jpg