Playing videos on Archos 8 home tablet - how to control the order?

FlorenceArt

May 15, 2011
Hi All,
New to this forum and also new to Archos tablets and Android. I bought an Archos 8 tablet for a specific use: playing videos in a loop. I mostly managed to set it up but have one remaining problem: how can I control the order in which the videos are played? I thought it would be easy by giving them a name starting with the order number (01-thisvideo, 02-thatvideo...), but it doesn't seem to work. In fact I can't understand the sort order the app uses.

Can anybody help me with this?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Florence

Last edited:

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
How and where are you renaming them? File name or in the metadata (Properties)
I found with Archos, there can be two variables. Time/Date stamp and in the metadata properties. So what is needed is to move it to a PC, and change the properties there. There are apps which can do that, But the time date stamp is the hardest to change. There are three potential dates referenced , Create, Modified, Accessed. It is usually the create date.
I modify the details using a video app like VLC (Video LAN Player)

Best of Luck

FlorenceArt

May 15, 2011
How and where are you renaming them? File name or in the metadata (Properties)
I found with Archos, there can be two variables. Time/Date stamp and in the metadata properties. So what is needed is to move it to a PC, and change the properties there. There are apps which can do that, But the time date stamp is the hardest to change. There are three potential dates referenced , Create, Modified, Accessed. It is usually the create date.
I modify the details using a video app like VLC (Video LAN Player)

Best of Luck

Thank you! I have been changing the file names. I never thought of changing anything else, but I'll look into it. Although I think I created the flles in the order I want to play them, so I'd say it's not the original creation date that matters. Maybe it's the time I copied the file on the tablet? I thought so at first and then got confused.
I'll see if I can play with metadata using VLC. I also noticed that iTunes creates some metadata that stays with the file, but I don't know if I can change dates. Thanks for your help!

FlorenceArt

May 15, 2011
OK, it seems that the important thing is to copy the files to the tablet in the right order, but not only that, I have to shut down and restart the tablet after copying each file. Maybe there is an easier way to do this, but at least so far it's working: copy video #1, shut down, restart, copy video #2, shut down, restart, check it's in the right order, copy video #3...

I wish it would work with files names though...

Hardryve

Mar 28, 2011
Mine play continuously in the order i copy them(AVI,MP4,MKV)to my sd card(weird),but it wont play flash video continuously,i have to hit back and then the next track.