Playing Videos - What Format?

dkm316_247

May 29, 2013
Hi There,
I am a newbie to the forum looking for some assistance with the above.

I have an Acer Iconia B1 tablet - (Personally, I think it's great for my needs for the moment) Anyway, I am wanting to put some films onto the external micro SD card I have installed (32gb) so that my daughter can watch whilst on flights and on our holiday.

I have tried converting the movie files (using Any Video Converter) into varying different formats including AVI and MPG etc, I've transferred the file from the laptop onto the external memory SD card but for whatever reason they are not shown within the "Personal Videos" section of Google Play Movies. I have also tried VLC Player (BETA) but with this, although it shows the file, it does not allow it to be played.

From someone (who thought he was a bit of a techie) who is starting to get a bit desperate to be able to please his daughter I'm hoping someone out there will be able to help.:confused:

Also, can anyone reccomend some form of a DVD ripper that I can use for the purpose that I can use my daughters DVDs.

Thanks Thank You and Thanks again

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum
Let me start with your last question, yes, DVDCatalyst (forum here) is a great solution. It does great for tablets and has tablet specific settings.

MP4 is going to be the best overall solution for the format.

You should also check out MX Player to play the files.

dkm316_247

May 29, 2013
Leeshor, you are a star!

Thank you very much for your prompt reply, very much appreciated.
I shall have a look this evening at all what you have suggested and then I shall report back with my results.

Cheers
Darren

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi Darren, welcome to Andriod Tablets and congratulations on your Iconia B1 tablet. As suggested by Leeshor, DVDCatalyst should be able to easily rip those DVDs to an acceptable format for your tablet. Enjoy that tablet and the forum!

D

dvdcatalyst

I have tried converting the movie files (using Any Video Converter) into varying different formats including AVI and MPG etc, I've transferred the file from the laptop onto the external memory SD card but for whatever reason they are not shown within the "Personal Videos" section of Google Play Movies. I have also tried VLC Player (BETA) but with this, although it shows the file, it does not allow it to be played.

In order for the movies to show up in the Personal Videos app, you will need to convert them to MP4 format. H264 video and AAC Stereo audio is what most tablets (and smartphones) prefer.

Other file-formats, such as AVI, MKV, MPG and VOB usually can be played with a third-party app from Google Play, such as Dice Player, MX Player, Rock Player and, VLC.

For best results, MP4 is the best choice though.

If none of these players are able to play the videos from your SD card, it is possible, even if it is a brand new one, that there is something wrong with your card.

Try playing the videos on your computer first, and if that works, try copying them from your computer to your B1's internal memory, and see if that works.