Playon for Android - Anyone tried with teh Nook?

oldweasel

Mar 22, 2011
Saw that PlayOn now supports a "PC Relay" (i.e. - a PC must be left on for the media access to be routed through) to Android devices (http://www.playon.com/), anyone have any experience with this app on the NC?

Ifireclay

Jan 19, 2011
Yes - works flawlessly. Even the slow wifi speed from the wifi hostpot of my Droid Incredible was enough to stream Netflix pretty cleanly on my Nook Color - just a brief hint of buffering about 15min into the program. The most important part of the setup is to have a decent computer and broadband signal on the PC you use to broadcast Playon with - you'll need at least a Dual Core 2Ghz and 2-3Mbs broadband to avoid buffering issues.

Caveats - Playon.tv requires flash, and I recommend boosting CPU speed for smoother playback. That pretty much means you have to (and can only run) Nookie Froyo to get this to work. I'm running the eMMC version, because I only have a class 2 SD card (my Wintec 16Gb class 10 crapped out after 1mo) and I wasn't sure if that would be fast enough to do what I wanted. Just my opinion.

FYI - Setup can be a bit confusing - you have to activate mobile access through the Playon app (the default setting is mobile off), and then you need to run the app on your mobile device for the 1st time on the same wireless network that PC is connected to. Once it runs there, THEN you'll be able to take the device on the road and use with ANY wifi network. That means you'll need a wireless network at home, and unless your broadband modem is the same piece of equipment as your wireless router, you'll need to set up port forwarding on BOTH your modem AND router. Easy enough, but not stated anywhere in instructions.

Absolutely worth it in the end - full access to Hulu, Netflix, and a host of other content! Enjoy!

Between Playyon.tv and my DISH Network Sling Adapter, I've pretty much got TV/movies covered on my Nook :)