Please clarify

frodo

Feb 5, 2011
Hi,

I am currently on rooted B&N 1.1 - got there using AN 3.0, so no CWM on board.

Am happy with the way things are working, so no real interest to use a custom rom at the moment, tho' Honeycomb may well sway me.

My questions-
1. CWM - if i install, will i definitely end up in a boot loop if i try to do a back up, or if i ensure i reboot nook before trying to boot into recovery (after install) will i be OK?

2. When B&N update to Android 2.2 (is this definite?) will i be able to go ahead and update to this from a rooted state, or will i have to restore to stock first? I guess the other (best?) option is to wait for rooted version of 2.2?

3. Without CWM and not fiddling much beyond installing apps how exposed am i to any problems?

I know much of this i have probably read (and i have scoured), but would love it if someone could just set my spinning head straight :confused:

Cheers,

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
I think that most of your questions can be answered here http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...m-manager-nandroid-backup-custom-kernels.html at least to question #1 as I understand it. As long as you follow the instructions carefully you should be fine installing CWR. The benefit is that in the event that you do want to install a custom rom at a later date CWR allows you to create an exact copy of your system. In the event something goes wrong your can ( depending on the damage) restore your NC to the exact same state it was in before. The best place to look for info on CWR and recovering from a problem etc is faceman the links in his sig should give you the info you need.

I can't speak to B&N updates because I know nothing about them I am running the CM7 nightlies now and probably won;t go back just wait for HC.

Without CWR you will not be able to back up your current system. If anything goes wrong you will have to start from scratch. http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/8440-fyi-experiment-restore-methods.html this one is worth a read too. I can't stress that point enough. Read everything three ties. Walk through the steps and do not be hasty. The issues I had after I got mine were because I jumped the gun more than once.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
There are things that work just fine with CWR and autonooter 3, some that don't.

You will run into the bootloop issue after doing your backup, but if you plan ahead, it won't take much to get out of it (create a bootable CWR mSD card and put the remove CWR zip on the root of the card...the step by steps can be found HERE (thanks to Rico)

After you remove CWR, you should be able to boot normally, and reflash it.

It is on their timetable to release and os upgrade to android 2.2 in the near future (within 6-8 weeks since they said by end of Q1) but we have no idea what it will do (it isn't just a bug/feature fix like the 1.0.1 and 1.1 updates have been, its replacing the OS) We all have to take the wait and see approach.

You never know when a problem might arise, even if you changed very little...it is always a good idea to make a backup...even if it is just through something like Titanium Backup or Super Manager. CYA is always a good thing.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
It was my understanding that the bootloop issue with CWR/1.1.0 only occurred if the user did the "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" from ROM Manager and then "Reboot into Recovery" WITHOUT manually rebooting the Nook in between those two steps. AFAIK; as long as you did a manual power off and power on after "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" then you can "Reboot into Recovery" without any hassle. Is this not true?

Second issue, if you are rooted and are NOT blocking the B&N OTA updates, then we have no idea what's going to happen if/when they update. We don't know until it happens. :) Good news is that whatever happens we have to tools and knowledge to fix it now. If you are rooted and ARE blocking the OTA updates (which is default once you install CWR, or manually via other methods) then you have control over putting the update on your Nook. And then you have two options: 1) Unroot your NC and update, then reroot with the Autonooter that will surely be released; or 2) Wait a day or so longer and just side-load the pre-rooted update that someone will release (the same way we have a 1.1.0 pre-rooted available now).

Your exposure to problems depends on you. What you have installed and what you are doing with the NC. However, regardless of what you are doing, if you want to have backup/fault tolerance then you need to look into the various options for backing up your data, apps, and system. I personally recommend CWR for full system backup, Titanium Backup for app/data backup, and a spare SD card for backups and toolbox items.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
It was my understanding that the bootloop issue with CWR/1.1.0 only occurred if the user did the "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" from ROM Manager and then "Reboot into Recovery" WITHOUT manually rebooting the Nook in between those two steps. AFAIK; as long as you did a manual power off and power on after "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" then you can "Reboot into Recovery" without any hassle. Is this not true?

While what you said is true, its not the same thing situation. Turning off you powering off, then turn on (booting into CWR) is a reboot and rebooting is a reboot. Anyway you want to reboot, you have to reboot. If you go from ROM manager flash CWR and then boot straight into CWR, you will boot loop. The reason being is you didn't give your NC the proper time to replace the stock recovery with CWRecovery, which is what the reboot, turn off or power off does. I know we have all had a windows update and when you go to reboot, it says, "please wait for update to complete, don't turn off", something to that effect. Well the NC, flashing CWR, then rebooting or turning off is similar to that.

Second issue, if you are rooted and are NOT blocking the B&N OTA updates, then we have no idea what's going to happen if/when they update. We don't know until it happens. :) Good news is that whatever happens we have to tools and knowledge to fix it now. If you are rooted and ARE blocking the OTA updates (which is default once you install CWR, or manually via other methods) then you have control over putting the update on your Nook. And then you have two options: 1) Unroot your NC and update, then reroot with the Autonooter that will surely be released; or 2) Wait a day or so longer and just side-load the pre-rooted update that someone will release (the same way we have a 1.1.0 pre-rooted available now).

Your exposure to problems depends on you. What you have installed and what you are doing with the NC. However, regardless of what you are doing, if you want to have backup/fault tolerance then you need to look into the various options for backing up your data, apps, and system. I personally recommend CWR for full system backup, Titanium Backup for app/data backup, and a spare SD card for backups and toolbox items.

Couldn't agree with you more. :)

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
While what you said is true, its not the same thing situation. Turning off you powering off, then turn on (booting into CWR) is a reboot and rebooting is a reboot. Anyway you want to reboot, you have to reboot. If you go from ROM manager flash CWR and then boot straight into CWR, you will boot loop. The reason being is you didn't give your NC the proper time to replace the stock recovery with CWRecovery, which is what the reboot, turn off or power off does. I know we have all had a windows update and when you go to reboot, it says, "please wait for update to complete, don't turn off", something to that effect. Well the NC, flashing CWR, then rebooting or turning off is similar to that.

Couldn't agree with you more. :)

I think between my answer and yours, we sure confused everyone! :) What I got from your response is exactly what I was trying to say... boot loop only happens if you don't exit out of ROM Manager after Flashing Recovery, then powering off completely, then powering on (normally - not into recovery) completely, then going BACK into ROM Manager and selecting the Reboot into Recovery. If you try to enter CWR recovery BEFORE A COMPLETE POWER OFF AND ON, you WILL get boot loop. Aww hell, let me write out the old fashioned way:

1. from a rooted NC - download ROM Manager from market
2. launch ROM Manager
3. select 'Flash ClockworkMod Recovery'
4. exit ROM Manager
5. power off NC by holding power button and selecting Power Off
6. power on NC by holding power button until screen flickers (the normal "Turn it on dummy" process - and should give a proper boot up)
7. now you are safe to enter recovery by either:
a. launch ROM Manager --> select Reboot into Recovery
(or)
b. power off NC by holding power button and selecting Power Off --> power on into recovery by holding power+N for 5 seconds

Does that sound right?

this post brought to you by NookColor_4_Idiots; the step-by-step guide to helping you NOT cook your nook.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Yes Faceman, that is right...Step 5-6 are being missed...

People are launching ROM Manager, flashing CWR then jumping straight to reboot into recovery (which is what both you and rico said) :)

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Yes Faceman, that is right...Step 5-6 are being missed...

People are launching ROM Manager, flashing CWR then jumping straight to reboot into recovery (which is what both you and rico said) :)

Awesome, three people have said it - it MUST be true! I love the inter-webs!