Please help!! Broswer issue

nikkirene08

Aug 10, 2012
Hi...First of all,I hope I'm putting this in the right forum! I have an android tablet a500. For some reason,my browser will not load. I'm connected to the internet. Actually on my tablet now. My apps are still working fine. I've tried clearing the cache,but it doesn't help. Ever so often,it will load a couple pages,but then just quits again. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Mrhelper

Apr 29, 2012
It seems as though you may have some form of network problem. You can install Speedtest from the Play Store to assess the performance of your network connection.

One thing I neglected to mention is that a powering the tablet completely off and then back on can solve numerous problems because that causes the operating system to reboot. It seems worth mentioning in case you have not tried that yet. If you determine that you have network performance issues, power cycling (off/on) your wifi router and even your cable/DSL modem can often be useful.

Last edited:

nikkirene08

Aug 10, 2012
It happens at work and home. I done the speed test,but not sure what I'm looking for. I've turned it off many times,too. Just done the system update and that didn't help,either.

Last edited:

Mrhelper

Apr 29, 2012
If Speedtest gives consistent results each time you run it, and the download graph (lower left of Speedtest screen) is generally a smooth straight line, then network performance may not be a cause. Small teeth in the graph like those on a hacksaw or metal file are normal, but if it looks like a row of exaggerated deep shark teeth, where speed frequently drops to near zero, then there may be a problem. The upload graph can be somewhat bumpier without necessarily causing any significant problems, but if that pauses and goes to zero for seconds at a time, that may screen be an issue also.

Now you stated that this happens at work as well as home, so it seems less likely to be caused by something outside of the tablet, unless the problem only happens with some web sites/pages. If it happens with all or most web pages, then you may need to determine if your wifi is disconnecting frequently. If the wifi icon frequently alternates from blue to gray and back, then that may be a cause. Some a500 owners have reported that wifi becomes unstable when Bluetooth is turned on, so you can try testing with that turned off.

Another likely cause after network causes are apps that consume excess CPU in the background. You can test for this by installing Watchdog Task Manager Lite from Play Store. Once installed, it will monitor apps that are running in the background, and alert you of any using greater than 40% of the system CPU. You can then decide whether to delete those problematic apps, or force them to stop as needed to regain essential CPU resources.

Last edited:

nikkirene08

Aug 10, 2012
I don't get a page saying the browser can't load. It looks like its going to and stops about an inch in. I do have have watchdog installed and it keeps giving me the message,''browser detected above threshold.''

Mrhelper

Apr 29, 2012
I don't get a page saying the browser can't load. It looks like its going to and stops about an inch in.
This symptom is very similar to a problem that I have observed with some routers, where the router connection status tables were too small to support enough concurrent connections as required by Android tablets. However unusual this may seem, it is possible that you could have this issue both at work and at home, or you could have a different problem at work having similar symptoms to what you see at home. To test the router, when you see browsing problems, remove (unplug) and then restore the router power. If the tablet works a little better for a few seconds or minutes after that, then you may need to update the firmware for your router, or replace it with a different model.

I do have have watchdog installed and it keeps giving me the message,''browser detected above threshold.''
That's what I was referring to in my posts above. That means that the browser is using excess CPU in the background and in turn slowing things in the foreground. To prevent this with the stock browser, you must always close all tabs until the browser exits before opening another app. The same is true for Dolphin, which causes a more severe version of the background CPU waste problem. ICS Browser + behaves exactly like the stock browser in this regard. You can avoid the browser-based CPU waste problems altogether by installing Opera Mobile web browser from the Play store, and then just not using the stock browser, Dophin or ICS Browser +.

There may be multiple causes for the problems that you are dealing with, so using a different browser will improve the general performance of the tablet, but it may not resolve the specific browsing problem you have described. On the other hand, it just may, because some web sites just don't get along with some browsers. As I noted above, there could also be a compatibility issue between the tablet and the router(s) that you have been using with it.

You did not mention how the speed tests looked after I described what to look for. That may be relevant also.

Please post back with what you find out.

Last edited: