Please help i'm lost.

viziovtab

Nov 21, 2011
I will be giving m y son a tablet for xmas. I purchased a vizio vtab for 189 and a dell streak 7 for 157 (best buy bf). the vizio has bigger screen (8inch) , and better resolution but only 4 gigs and single core processor and ginger bread and the dell has honeycomb a not so great screen but 16 gig and a dual processor... I really need help i need to return one of them and I have NO idea why is better.wwyd. I've asked before but have not gotten a def answer. please help

dardoncas

Nov 10, 2010
Not sure about the vizio but i have a sreak and love it. Strong and fun to use despite low res screen. Tegra 2 tablet with honeycomb for the price you paid...I would go forward with the streak (although I may be slightly biased here! :)

Sent from my Dell Streak 7 using Tapatalk

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
I would stick with the Dell as well since Honeycomb is a Tablet OS and Gingerbread is a phone OS. I have a Honeycombo tablet, and it is wonderful. The dual core processor and the extra storage space is a huge plus too.

A 7" screen is not that small IMO, not to mention I would assume your son has younger vision and will be quite happy with a 7" tablet. I know I would.

viziovtab

Nov 21, 2011
ok, one more question. how does the dell lower resolution screen will perform while playing games or movies? thanks in advance for the help.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Due to the many different resolutions of Android devices, most apps are not designed to work at one resolution, but to scale up. I have not played with an 800x480 tablet, but I know that even the free version of Angry Birds looks stunning on my 10" (1200x800) screen.

As far as movies, the device can scale just about anything to any resolution, but I do not know how the processor would handle a 720p or higher video.

I personally use DVD Catalyst ($10 USD) and it has settings for a lot of different tablets and makes converting movies a snap. It works on most any DVD and most files on your computer that do not have DRM. It is a Windows only offering at this point.

viziovtab

Nov 21, 2011
here is the million dollar question. Which is a better deal? or better. the vizio at 189 or the dell at 157? is there a clear winner or is it depending on usage? is for games/movies/netflix...

viziovtab

Nov 21, 2011
i think i just answered my question. I set up both tablets with angry birds, netflix,youtube and played them side by side. well the dell beat the vizio in every test I made. and to make sure i clarify, i'm saying that dell beat the vizio in the comparisons I made not to be confused with overall. well i'll be returning the vizio to costco eventhou dell already discontinued the streak its just really hard to pass on that deal.....157 at bb

dansamy

Dec 19, 2010
I searched a long time before I bought tablets for my children. I almost bought the Coby 7022, but Toys R Us's sale ended before my sister told me about it, lol! I spent $160/each for two Dells and $190 for an Acer a100 from Best Buy on Thanksgiving. (Eldest child will get the Acer.) I got a lot of tablet for the price I paid. Also, the Dell Streak 7 has an Otterbox that fits it. I don't know about your son, but my 10 year old is about like a bull in a china shop. He's definitely getting an otterbox. My daughter might get something "cute", but that youngest child of mine is getting a functional, super protective case. And I'm buying accidental damage insurance.

viziovtab

Nov 21, 2011
my sister wants to buy the case for my sons tablet for x-mas... if you know where i can find the otterbox at a good price please share.... thanks.