Please HELP! Jellybean broke my Transformer Prime TF201!

JohnsPrime

Oct 3, 2012
I went to asus website and downloaded the newest firmware (Jellybean) and put it on my 16gb sd card. I held the power button down, and turned off my transformer prime TF201 device.

When I booted it back up, it showed an update available on the status bar and I selected it and began the update.

My device had 32% power left, but just to be sure I connected it to the wall outlet. It installed the update and everything seemed to be going fine. I saw the status bar grow until it reached max, and then it rebooted into what appears to be a boot screen which says:

ASUS
Inspiring Innovation. Persistent Perfection.

On the bottom right of the otherwise completely black screen is the "Powered by Nvidia Tegra" logo.

I can leave it on this screen for hours and nothing happens.

YES - My device is completely stock.

Before this, I never had any problems with any of the updates. I never get the OTA updates, so I just manually do them all by downloading from the official download page of ASUS.

I really love this tablet and I use it everyday.

I hope someone can help me figure this out!

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

If you didn't have the patience to wait for the OTA update you may have wanted to figure out why before trying to force it as there may have been a reason why you didn't get it.

If you can power it off, hold the volume down then the power at the same time (disconnected from the charger) until you see some white writing upper left then release both buttons. Wait, don't touch anything, see if it goes through the process. If it doesn't work the first time try again.

JohnsPrime

Oct 3, 2012
Welcome to the forum

If you didn't have the patience to wait for the OTA update you may have wanted to figure out why before trying to force it as there may have been a reason why you didn't get it.

If you can power it off, hold the volume down then the power at the same time (disconnected from the charger) until you see some white writing upper left then release both buttons. Wait, don't touch anything, see if it goes through the process. If it doesn't work the first time try again.

It had nothing to do with patience. This tablet it from back in Jan of 2012, when they sent out a bunch of them which can not get OTA updates. A lot of people RMA'ed them, but I kept mine because it really didn't matter that much to me. I don't mind doing a manual update, especially since everything else works good on mine (wifi, gps, etc)

So I just wait for updates to appear on asus website.

JohnsPrime

Oct 3, 2012
Welcome to the forum

As soon as I plug the power cable in, it vibrates and shows that same screen. From it I seem unable to get it into the mode you are suggesting.

I can use a paperclip to press in the reset button, and then while it is off (while holding in the reset button) I can begin pressing the power button and the down volume. I then release the paper clip and continue to hold the power button and the down volume button. Same screen appears, but in about 8-10 second the unit vibrates and the screen goes blank, and then BAM... same boot screen appears.

Never get to see the small white text on top or anything. :(

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
The hole for the paperclip is really only good for a restart if the tablet is hung up and won't do much else. You may want to try applying the update again with a fresh download and put it into the root of a FAT32 formatted microSD card.

If it doesn't see it try the powered down volume and power button again but try taping the up volume after it starts booting.

JohnsPrime

Oct 3, 2012
The hole for the paperclip is really only good for a restart if the tablet is hung up and won't do much else. You may want to try applying the update again with a fresh download and put it into the root of a FAT32 formatted microSD card.

If it doesn't see it try the powered down volume and power button again but try taping the up volume after it starts booting.

I am attaching a picture of the only screen I can see. This is all the tablet does at the moment, so I don't know how I can apply the update again or do anything else with it for that matter.

Thanks so much,

- John

Attachments

• $tablet.JPG
    $tablet.JPG
    287.6 KB · Views: 3,168

JohnsPrime

Oct 3, 2012
Called ASUS, and I had to RMA it.

I miss my tablet.

I should be upset I suppose about the twenty bucks it took to ship it (I put it in a large box full of packing and insured it for $500), but I am mostly just upset about how long I will have to be without my tablet.

For the record, I decided AGAINST jellybean. ICS was working fine and I wish I had left well enough alone.