Please help, Nook Color Busted. Need Kind Experts.

Apr 26, 2011
Hey Guys,

I rooted my Nook Color a little while ago, but it was running Honeycomb off of the SD Card so it was a little lagey. SO I decided to root it again with another approach to get the root on the device. Well I messed up big time.

Now my Nook will barely turn on, and when it does, it will not do what it's supposed to. I get stuck on the boot logo often, I cannot turn the Nook on when the SD card with the autonooter 3.0 is on it.

Please help me! Thank you!

danski

Jan 17, 2011
what were you running without the honeycomb sdcard in? I had an issue where mine restarted, and would get stuck on the the nook color logo, but I did the restore to factory settings move, and it fixed it.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hey Guys,

I rooted my Nook Color a little while ago, but it was running Honeycomb off of the SD Card so it was a little lagey. SO I decided to root it again with another approach to get the root on the device. Well I messed up big time.

Now my Nook will barely turn on, and when it does, it will not do what it's supposed to. I get stuck on the boot logo often, I cannot turn the Nook on when the SD card with the autonooter 3.0 is on it.

Please help me! Thank you!

You MUST remove the autonooter card after running it the first time. The Nook will not boot with the auto nooter card in. Once you have taken it out try booting again and let us know the result.

You can read this to get a good idea of everything root related http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...color-now-what-aka-complete-idiots-guide.html, terms, what to do, what is supposed to happen, how to make nandroid backups and pretty much everything. Read it a couple of times to understand the entire process. Then ask if you still have questions.

JP

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2011
It's working now, thank you for the help guys!

Quick question, now that it's rooted and running well, can I remove the SD card and format it to get it back to 8 GBs, or will I lose my root? I know, I'm a n00b. Thanks again!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
It's working now, thank you for the help guys!

Quick question, now that it's rooted and running well, can I remove the SD card and format it to get it back to 8 GBs, or will I lose my root? I know, I'm a n00b. Thanks again!

Now that it is rooted, it is rooted and the card no longer matters. If you try to use the card in its current state the Nook will not boot with the card in. The Nook has a handy formater built into it. So after you have booted insert the card the press the Menu button Settings>Device Info>SD Card>Unmount SD Card>Format.

Now you will have a working data card again that you can leave in at all times and won't interefere with booting. Then check this out so you can block the 1.2 update which will break root. http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...m-manager-nandroid-backup-custom-kernels.html

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
so creating a nandroid backup will not allow me to lose root?

All you really need to do is install ClockworkMod Recovery (CWR) onto your Nook to prevent the update. Nandroid backups and flashing custom ROMs are bonus functions of CWR. The easiest way to install CWR is to download ROM Manager (4.1 or 4.2) from the Market and then open it and select Flash ClockworkMod Recovery and then select Nook Color (if this doesn't work select Nook Color old). Do a regular REBOOT once done (in case you are looking at this only and not the How To thread this is in reference to) before you do anything else.

Edit: Choose Nook Color first and if this doesn't work for you then choose Nook Color old. Sorry for the confusion but this has been an ongoing issue that appears to be fixed in ROM Manager 4.1 and above. It looks like choosing old flashes CWR 3.0.0.5 (which is ok) and choosing Nook Color flashes CWR 3.0.2.8 (which is the newest).

JP

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2011
One more question Sir if you don't mind, you've been so helpful. Is it difficult to go from this to CyogenMod7 Rom? I've heard good things. But I won't mess with it if it's not pretty simple to pull off. Thanks again!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
One more question Sir if you don't mind, you've been so helpful. Is it difficult to go from this to CyogenMod7 Rom? I've heard good things. But I won't mess with it if it's not pretty simple to pull off. Thanks again!

Changing ROMs is easy one you understand it (read through the installing CWR thread for the details). If you want to give CM7 a test run or just have a second option you can follow this to make a bootabe SD card (one you do want to insert before booting) http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/13156-how-cm7-bootable-sd.html.

Don't forget there is a Thanks button over there <---- under the avatars.

JP