Point me in the right direction

Klippy

Sep 13, 2011
I have been reading over the forum and I really hope someone will just send me in the right direction. I am waiting on my replacement color nook to arrive. I would like to purchase the 2 year warranty. I believe I have read you can root your color nook but if something happens you can put it back so that the warranty is still good. I would also apperciate someone telling me where exactly on this forum I can find the directions to root my nook. Thanks so much in advance for your help

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Klippy,wellcome , you are already in the right place. You can keep your nook color as it is and flash a rom like Cm7 on an SD card so you are going to have your root on the card, no need to go back to stock if you have a problem Check the thread here on nook color technical but in the stickies :
(How to) CM7 Bootable SD , it should explain everything.
I kept my nook on stock and I made an sd card with CM7 and I love it!

gloria
Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi Klippy,

You have several options to choose from to customize your Nook. The first step is to read up and decide if you want to root (unlock B&N's software), install a custom ROM (replace B&N's software) or use a bootable SD card. Once you decide which method to use there are How to threads on each with the details of what to do.

JP

Klippy

Sep 13, 2011
What do you think is the best way to root my nook. And if I buy the extended warranty will that make a difference in how I root it?

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Buying the extended warranty wouldn't make a difference in how you root it. If you install a custom ROM, you would simply restore the stock ROM before returning it for warranty service. If you use a bootable SD card, you would remove the SD card before returning it for warranty service.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Good advice Spider.

klippy it depends on how you want to use your Nook. If you wan't access to the B&N features and style then root it.

If you want to go with a ROM that makes your Nook more tablet like then go with a custom ROM.

If you need lots of SD card space for media and files that need to be changed frequently (say a movie library you want on the go spread across multiple SD cards) then install the custom ROM on internal memory.

If you want the better tablet features of a custom ROM and are ok with not being able to swap out SD data cards, also want access to the rooted B&N, another custom ROM or simply the stock system the go with a bootable SD card.

JP

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
Not that anyone has asked, but the extended warranty is $55 and a refurb is $179 or less. The additional warranty is almost 1/3 of the price of another Nook and my guess is that in a year from now a NC will be even less. Even a refurb comes with a 1 year warranty. I just don't see the math logic in buying the warranty......

Correction. It is $149 today: http://www.overstock.com/Electronic...d-Pre-Owned/5924200/product.html?TID=D:HPAD_1

Last edited:

Klippy

Sep 13, 2011
Patruns - you are right - I am not going to buy the extended warranty. But I do want to run my Nook as a tablet. My daughter just brought me the card and I am ready to start "rooting". I am alittle familiar with computers - can someone post me the link to go to so I can start this process. Thanks so, so, so, so much!!! Should I do a custom rom or a bootable card?

Last edited:

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
Patruns - you are right - I am not going to buy the extended warranty. But I do want to run my Nook as a tablet. My daughter just brought me the card and I am ready to start "rooting". I am alittle familiar with computers - can someone post me the link to go to so I can start this process. Thanks so, so, so, so much!!! Should I do a custom rom or a bootable card?

If you are going to run CM7 from the internal eMMC, I would recommend following the steps here: Nook Color: How to install Cyanogenmod Nightlies | Maurice Mongeon

Just be sure to use the latest version of CWR (3.2.0.1).