I got this from Big Lots for $99.00. It works great. Here are the specs

ICS 4.0.3 (Fully rooted out of the box)
7" tablet
512 DDR3 RAM (307mb user available)
Arm Cortex 8 1Ghz
Graphics Open GL ES2.0/3D game support
Screen 800 by 480 16:9 format
5 points capacitive
Internal Memory 4GB (expandable through Micro SD)
wifi 8011. b/g/n
Mini USB (to charge and work as a host as well)
Video output jack
Speaker and microphone

You have to install google framework, one time initializer and vending apk's in order to get the Play Store, but once you have that, everything works. Netflix plays perfectly and my tablet is loaded with apps. I'm wondering why there isn't a section here for it?

Shawnm

Apr 27, 2012
Have you been able to get Adobe Flash installed and working? I would like to be able to view movies at the Hulu website.

Also, could you give details / instructions of how you installed google framework, one time initializer, vending apks to get the Play Store?

Thanks.

corki2

Apr 14, 2012
Follow the instructions in post #10 here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=25190170 to get the market. I didn't install flash. I have had no trouble viewing videos, but I haven't tried Crackle.

Edit: I just installed Flash Version 11 from the Play Store and went to Crackle on the web. It works great. Just reboot after you install it. Hulu should work too although I don't use it.

Sent from my Polaroid PMID701i using Tapatalk

Last edited:

irainbow

Apr 27, 2012
Bought this as well - my first entry into the world of touch screen technology! (Yes, I don't even have a smart phone!)

Please note, if the model is 701i, there is no video out jack despite what the box says. If there is an video out jack, you are holding a 701c.

As a newbie to this new technology, I attempted to follow the instructions in the linked message. Not only didn't I fully understand everything (as in I couldn't find any settings to check for rooting, etc.). Also, something failed at the last step and I kept getting Vendor
[*].apk install has failed. Not sure how to fix this.

(Last-minute thought: Unless it's conflicting with the Amazon App thingy I installed when I first got this.)

Anyone willing to help a newbie through this by phone? (Cheaper than getting your hair trimmed at the local unisex salon ... I garOHNtee!) LOL

P.S. I did speak with Polaroid support on Friday and I was told there is new Firmware coming out in a week or two for the 701i. Check the website for updates.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

corki2

Apr 14, 2012
Bought this as well - my first entry into the world of touch screen technology! (Yes, I don't even have a smart phone!)

Please note, if the model is 701i, there is no video out jack despite what the box says. If there is an video out jack, you are holding a 701c.

As a newbie to this new technology, I attempted to follow the instructions in the linked message. Not only didn't I fully understand everything (as in I couldn't find any settings to check for rooting, etc.). Also, something failed at the last step and I kept getting Vendor
[*].apk install has failed. Not sure how to fix this.

(Last-minute thought: Unless it's conflicting with the Amazon App thingy I installed when I first got this.)

Anyone willing to help a newbie through this by phone? (Cheaper than getting your hair trimmed at the local unisex salon ... I garOHNtee!) LOL

P.S. I did speak with Polaroid support on Friday and I was told there is new Firmware coming out in a week or two for the 701i. Check the website for updates.:rolleyes:

Actually, I read on another forum Freaktab.com that there are versions of the 701i that have the tv out and some do not. Mine does. There's a jack to the left of the charging port that says TV.

Did you change permissions on the vending apk after you put it on your system app folder? If you aren't successful with the instructions in the the post attached above, just go back through the steps. I'm still a newbie myself, so I'm afraid I can't be much help. I just followed the instructions I linked here to and it worked for me.

Thanks for the tip on the update from Polaroid.

irainbow

Apr 27, 2012
Actually, I read on another forum Freaktab.com that there are versions of the 701i that have the tv out and some do not. Mine does. There's a jack to the left of the charging port that says TV.

Did you change permissions on the vending apk after you put it on your system app folder? If you aren't successful with the instructions in the the post attached above, just go back through the steps. I'm still a newbie myself, so I'm afraid I can't be much help. I just followed the instructions I linked here to and it worked for me.

Thanks for the tip on the update from Polaroid.

Ratchet! Just my luck I'd get a version without the TV out jack ... Oh, well! (Nope, there's no jack to the left of the charging port on mine.) Are you absolutely positive the model you are holding in your hand is not the 701c put into the 701i box in error? Was told by Tech Support that I was correct, there is no TV out jack on the 701i and that might also account for your ability to install all the .apks successfully.

I have only just now succeeded in reading the manual and discovered where the "Reset to Factory Default" setting is. I thought hitting the "Reset" button on the back *was* the factory default reset and was panicked up the yin-yang when it didn't restore those settings. Not just by accident I renamed this phase I'm going through "Operator Terror"!!!! :eek:

As to changing permissions on the vending apk after I put it in my system app folder ... I'm not even sure I got it into the System App folder -- that's the point at which it said something about vending.apk failed. I was unable to follow those few steps of changing system settings because I couldn't find system settings resembling what the instructions said. Trying again now that I've reset to factory default. (Okay -- this whole thing is WONKY ... it keeps losing sight of the fact that the SD card is mounted and giving me erroneous feedback on the status of the SD card (since I opened it out of box).) This time, I got it to save successfully up to Vending. apk .... but when I went to try and find and change the RW permissions, it said something else had stopped working. Not sure if I got a 'lemon' or what?!!! This goes waaaay beyond Operator Terror (lol) in some ways.:confused:

Last edited:

corki2

Apr 14, 2012
Ratchet! Just my luck I'd get a version without the TV out jack ... Oh, well! (Nope, there's no jack to the left of the charging port on mine.) Are you absolutely positive the model you are holding in your hand is not the 701c put into the 701i box in error? Was told by Tech Support that I was correct, there is no TV out jack on the 701i and that might also account for your ability to install all the .apks successfully.

I have only just now succeeded in reading the manual and discovered where the "Reset to Factory Default" setting is. I thought hitting the "Reset" button on the back *was* the factory default reset and was panicked up the yin-yang when it didn't restore those settings. Not just by accident I renamed this phase I'm going through "Operator Terror"!!!! :eek:

As to changing permissions on the vending apk after I put it in my system app folder ... I'm not even sure I got it into the System App folder -- that's the point at which it said something about vending.apk failed. I was unable to follow those few steps of changing system settings because I couldn't find system settings resembling what the instructions said. Trying again now that I've reset to factory default. (Okay -- this whole thing is WONKY ... it keeps losing sight of the fact that the SD card is mounted and giving me erroneous feedback on the status of the SD card (since I opened it out of box).) This time, I got it to save successfully up to Vending. apk .... but when I went to try and find and change the RW permissions, it said something else had stopped working. Not sure if I got a 'lemon' or what?!!! This goes waaaay beyond Operator Terror (lol) in some ways.:confused:

Yep, definitely not a 701C here's a pic of the imprint on the back of my case.

$IMAG1272 (4).jpg

Did you install es file explorer? You won't have access to system files with the stock file explorer. I got a "Google Framework has stopped, bla bla bla" error but you still should be able to cancel/ok the error when it comes up and continue. One you have it done and reboot, you should be good to go.

irainbow

Apr 27, 2012
Yep, definitely not a 701C here's a pic of the imprint on the back of my case.

View attachment 6394

Did you install es file explorer? You won't have access to system files with the stock file explorer. I got a "Google Framework has stopped, bla bla bla" error but you still should be able to cancel/ok the error when it comes up and continue. One you have it done and reboot, you should be good to go.

I'm not sure what I've done and what I've not done -- this is the wonkiest device I've ever dealt with ... one minute it tells me it failed to do something, and the next, I've got the results I was after. It's almost certain now that there is some sort of malfunction in the microSD card slot and/or the USB connection that seems to cause this. I now have Google Play installed, and Adobe Flash, too. Seems my entire life is now in Google's hands. ;)

Last edited:

corki2

Apr 14, 2012
For anyone interested, there is a lot happening with this tablet over at Freaktab. They have a stock image out and a full market fix. There will be some custom roms out for it soon, I'm sure. There is a dedicated "Polaroid" section there so it's easy to find.

lukenova

Apr 30, 2012
For those of you that have been asking about the video out or no video out... at freaktab we have determined that there are two models of the 701i out there....some that have the video out port, and some that don't.

We are pretty sure that the ones that have the video out port are the same hardware as the 701c (of which all released models have the video out jack). 701c was released first, and since the 701i is almost identical, it seems that southern telecom (the manufac) just used the left over 701c hardware in the first run of the 701i release.

corki2

Apr 14, 2012
For those of you that have been asking about the video out or no video out... at freaktab we have determined that there are two models of the 701i out there....some that have the video out port, and some that don't.

We are pretty sure that the ones that have the video out port are the same hardware as the 701c (of which all released models have the video out jack). 701c was released first, and since the 701i is almost identical, it seems that southern telecom (the manufac) just used the left over 701c hardware in the first run of the 701i release.

Thanks for making sense of that. :)

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2

irainbow

Apr 27, 2012
UPDATE: Spoke with another representative at Polaroid who tells me "No, there is no firmware update on the 701i, it's only on the market a few weeks, but there is a firmware update coming on the 701c" (taking it from Android 2.3 to, presumably, 4.0). Take that with a grain of salt, too.

Thanks lukenova for your addition on the two models of 701i ... that was a question I had asked at Polaroid, but they did not answer with a "Yes" this existed. This second representative told me hands-down there is NO video out jack on the 701i, while on the other hand mentioning that it might have been a promotional item. Then he added that one can be purchased for an additional $9.95 of a supposed flyer included in the box with the new tablet. I did see a flyer for a USB stick adaptor ... could this possibly be what he was referring to? (rhetorical)

Same representative responded to me telling him that I managed to get Google Play installed that it's not compatible with the tablet. Supposedly, one will be able to only partially download an app through Google Play, but will ultimately wind up with a "fail to download" (or whatever) message.

While talking with this representing and attempting to explain an issue I've been having withe the SD card, I got a new message telling me my SD card is damaged. Two seconds later and it plays perfectly in my desktop. So it seems there *is* a glitch in my SD card reader, which I suspected from Day One. *Exchanging this unit today*

There was a time when I thought I spoke and understood English. Then technology came along!! *sighs* I know I'm old enough to be some of you-out-there's great granny, but I try my best to keep up. *throwing my hands up in disgust*

What's a 'challenged' person without connections to unchallenged geeks to do? ANSWER: Come to these forums for help!
Thank you all for your time, your patience, and your expertise.

:) challenged in WA

Last edited:

Dartman

Jul 31, 2011
I got a 701c, a i without TV out, and a i with that would not turn off properly, I finally traded for my fourth i with TV out and it's working great and seem to be fully rooted and all that outa the box. A nice tablet for the money and plays agry birds and things great. My TV out works too and seemed to be full res and all that through the component out in to my HDTV.
My first tablet was the Sylvania cheapie that has a big thread here and this one blows it away.
Many folks including Luknova and Corki are working hard to make it better and better on FreakTab, which I also joined when I saw the post about this Tablet on Slick Deals and a link to their Polaroid forum with all kinds of info that convinced me to go buy one.
Basically if you want Android 4.0 and TV out find a Big Lots and then a box that says 701i, then open it and make sure you got a early unit that still has the out, most do as of now but that will probably change as they ramp up production of the newer version without it.
Has 5 way capacitive touch and all that too so mostly responds quickly and you can do the expand and squish stuff with your fingers.

corki2

Apr 14, 2012
Thanks for the kind word but I got all my info from here and Freaktab forum. It's a great community with fantastic devs. I'm looking forward to seeing what else is in store for this great little tablet. Glad you picked one up. :)

Sent from my Polaroid PMID701i using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: