Polaroid PMID701i Andriod 4.0

HouseOfMisterE

May 7, 2012
I don't know if it it's nation-wide or local, but the Big Lots in Huntsville, AL, has the Polaroid PMID701C on sale this week for $90 plus tax. I already own an Acer Iconia A500, but picked up a 701C today to play around with. The sale price is good for all of Big Lot's 7" 2.2-2.3 Android tablets (the ad lists the Polaroid tablet, a Sylvania tablet, and a Velocity Cruz tablet). My local store didn't have a PMID701i on the shelf, but I guess the sale price wouldn't be applicable anyways since it comes with Android 4 and not 2.2-2.3.

rubso

May 7, 2012
I don't know if it it's nation-wide or local, but the Big Lots in Huntsville, AL, has the Polaroid PMID701C on sale this week for $90 plus tax. I already own an Acer Iconia A500, but picked up a 701C today to play around with. The sale price is good for all of Big Lot's 7" 2.2-2.3 Android tablets (the ad lists the Polaroid tablet, a Sylvania tablet, and a Velocity Cruz tablet). My local store didn't have a PMID701i on the shelf, but I guess the sale price wouldn't be applicable anyways since it comes with Android 4 and not 2.2-2.3.

I got a 701i on that discount price at big Lots. they had one with TVout. the second one was without it. They called the other store and asked them and confirmed that the box says TV out. I picked the one and drove to the other sore and still havent opend the second box. But the first one has it and works on my Samsung TV.

$89 each.

PRBMAINT

Apr 4, 2012
I got a 701i on that discount price at big Lots. they had one with TVout. the second one was without it. They called the other store and asked them and confirmed that the box says TV out. I picked the one and drove to the other sore and still havent opend the second box. But the first one has it and works on my Samsung TV.

$89 each.

Sounds good! I have been following all of the Polaroid Tab stuff for over a month now... May I ask what type of cable you used to hook up to your TV? I have tried a Sony camcorder cable and it doesn't seem to work. Any info or advice? It looks like I am going to have to order a cable to try this out. Thanks in advance!

PRBMAINT

Apr 4, 2012
What I do know about the TV out-

I purchased a video cable from Amazon and it worked fine. I have a PMID701c with custom ROM installed and minimal apps added. I also have a new PMID701i x10, stock, and the TV out worked fine on it as well. I only tried a simple video clip from my digital camcorder in my testing, but it seemed ok to me. I had originally bought a Sony camcorder cable but it will need some surgery before being able to use it with the Polaroids. The cable from Amazon seems to be light weight compared to the Sony- but is does work as is.

I also found several stereo audio splitter cables, six feet, at Amazon for less than three dollars if you need one.

Search Amazon for Video Only Cable: aiptek hd cable--it is the one with blue, green and red RCA ends.

Other quick info-
I have tried the USB port for a wireless mouse and it worked with a mini adapter.
[h=1]USB adapters at Amazon-search for: USB A Female to Mini USB B 5 Pin Male Adapter. There are several one piece molded units and well as a few short corded models as well, starting at ninety nine cents, but most are well under five dollars.[/h]
PRBMAINT

AirborneDude

Dec 9, 2010
I plan on buying one of these tablets. Have any of you guys got Netflix to run? I have a Coby MID7015 and was able to get Netflix to run, then they would push an update and it would break it. It was always a problem.

Just curious if Netflix is running.

May 25, 2012
I have a PMID701i that is a 701c that was upgraded with the firmware from the Southern Telecom website. Before the upgrade, when it ran Android 2.3, Netflix worked fine. However, since the upgrade, both 1.7.1 and 1.8.0 of Netflix has not worked well. It will start, but playback quickly becomes choppy and sometimes the only thing happening is choppy audio playback with the image almost static. I have checked this on multiple wireless networks, including some really fast ones, and it is the same no matter where the device is at. As always YMMV, but I don't hold out much hope until Netflix lists Android 4.0 as a support platform.

Well, I know have to update this. It works sometimes. I was able to get it to work by going in and not just using the built-in App Manager to stop running apps, but also go through the list of installed apps and "force stop" many of those. Then, I was able to get Netflix to work without heavy glitching.

Last edited:

biking4jesus

Aug 27, 2011
I have a 701c and a 701i (both from Big Lots). The 701c came with 2.3, and the 701i had ICS (and NO TV out). I have upgraded the 701c to ICS using their firmware upgrade with no problem. However, I have had several problems with the 701i. It drops WiFi connections and I frequently loose write access to the internal SDcard. That makes it impossible to download or update applications. Some applications also won't run properly without write access. The ST tech told me to apply the 701i firmware update to correct those problems. However, the update won't install (even though it worked fine on the 701c). When I called back they tried to convince me that the problem was with the Amazon App Store or my external SD card (???). Finally, they authorized a return, so I'll probably send it in. I haven't tried a factory data reset, so I'll try that before I return. Any other suggestions?

FastKatt

Dec 16, 2012
What happened with this?
I have a 701i 13, and it won't let me install Amazon. It says it doesn't have room.
It's fully stock, nothing installed...
Also, it doesn't remember settings, after a reboot. User info, screen changes, settings... All revert to stock, on reboot.
I have a 701c and a 701i (both from Big Lots). The 701c came with 2.3, and the 701i had ICS (and NO TV out). I have upgraded the 701c to ICS using their firmware upgrade with no problem. However, I have had several problems with the 701i. It drops WiFi connections and I frequently loose write access to the internal SDcard. That makes it impossible to download or update applications. Some applications also won't run properly without write access. The ST tech told me to apply the 701i firmware update to correct those problems. However, the update won't install (even though it worked fine on the 701c). When I called back they tried to convince me that the problem was with the Amazon App Store or my external SD card (???). Finally, they authorized a return, so I'll probably send it in. I haven't tried a factory data reset, so I'll try that before I return. Any other suggestions?

FastKatt

Dec 16, 2012
I have a 701c and a 701i (both from Big Lots) ... Finally, they authorized a return, so I'll probably send it in. I haven't tried a factory data reset, so I'll try that before I return. Any other suggestions?
What did you do to get a return?
Is it threw Polaroid or Big Lots?