Polaroid PTAB7200 stereo audio socket problem

OCTurbine

Dec 5, 2011
Howdy, y'all,

There doesn't seem to be a sub-forum for the Polaroid tablets, but it runs the Rockchip RK2918, so I decided to post here, pending the creation of a Polaroid sub-forum. (Moderators?)

I purchased this on Black Friday at Kohl's after a few hours of research to find a high-value Android tablet for <$100.

Support from Polaroid is weak, based on my experience to date. I sent coupla e-mails, but no response whatsoever. The user manual is a downloadable PDF, but includes no information about specifications. The manual provided in the package is formatted as a poster and isn't convenient to use.

After inserting an 8 GB MicroSD card with several audio tracks, I tried to connect the PTAB7200 to an Altec 2.1 desktop audio system, using the conventional 1/8" stereo socket. But no sound. It wasn't until I pressed the plug firmly that the circuit closed and I heard the music. When I released the pressure on the plug, the music stopped.

I inspected the socket on the top of the Polaroid and discovered the problem. The top plastic spacer between the two halves of the case is sloped, not flat, and a wide audio plug won't penetrate deeply enough to make a connection. Argh.

I found the solution at Radio Shack. The 8" (20.3 cm) Headphone Extension Cord (SKU 42-2559, ~$9) consists of a narrow 90-degree audio plug, volume pot, and an 1/8" socket. Fits well, and I can connect any stereo plug to the socket.

So far, I'm happy with my Polaroid PTAB7200. I purchased it to test the EPUB documents that I write, and to test my apps. Polaroid doesn't provide an Android manual, so I downloaded the 2.3.4 user manual from Google: http://www.google.com/help/hc/pdfs/mobile/AndroidUsersGuide-2.3.4.pdf

HTH. Merry Xmas.

ezgene

Dec 9, 2011
Thanks for the information about the 2.3.4 user manual. I too bought the Polaroid PTAB 7200 from Kohl's. I am very happy with it so far. I keep learning more about it everytime I "play" with it. Last night, I learned how to download You Tube videos to my desktop. After that it was easy to copy the video to the PTAB 7200.

My biggest problem is "scrolling" up and down the page. I may be holding my finger too long in one spot before moving up or down or not holding my finger hard enough when I start.

damontis

Dec 30, 2011
We also bought one of these from Kohls for our daughter. Seems to run decently enough for her. It would be nice if we could get a forum for Polaroid.

pchitti

Dec 12, 2011
We also bought one of these from Kohls for our daughter. Seems to run decently enough for her. It would be nice if we could get a forum for Polaroid.

Agree on the needed sub forum, Im enjoying it but needs full market and some bloat removed...

damontis

Dec 30, 2011
Well that was a short lived experience for my daughter. She dropped it on the middle of the kitchen floor and the screen shattered. It's unusable and she is very upset about it. I wonder if there is any place to buy a new touch screen and digitizer for it? (highly doubtful)