[Poll] Are you using 1.2 base Rom's ?

Are you using 1.2 base Rom ?

• [ROM - 1.2] Brilliant Corners (Froyo)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [ROM - 1.2] Calkulin + Clemsyn Ver 6

• [ROM - 1.2] CM7 (Gingerbread) + Calkulin's Tweak + Clemsyn or Pershoot Kernel

• [ROM - 1.2] Mountain Laurel

• [ROM - 1.2] VEGAn (Gingerbread) + Calkulin's Tweak + Clemsyn or Pershoot Kernel

• Total voters

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Greetings,

For a while, the difference between 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 base bootloaders has created much confusions & debates among the gTab community. Many users were reluctant to switch from one rom to another due to the risks of looping or bricking during the process.

This has changed.

The two great kernel developers already embraced the new bootloader with their new releases. Another great developer recently released the two popular CM7 and VEGAn GingerEd that were built on 1.2 bootloader. Now, most of the great rom's can be easily backed up, restored, flashed and switched to one another using a compatible CWM.

Therefore, with the permission from the forum's leadership to post this poll, I'd like to ask members and visitors of this little cozy forum to participate in the poll.

By the way, PLEASE share with us the reason for your selection. It may be beneficial to others, and of course, it could be fun.

Best to all,

Dave

Addendum:

Here is the link for most of 1.2 base rom's
Viewsonic G-Tablet 1.2 ROM Development - SlateDroid.com
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1123836

Here are several links for CWM 3.0.2.8 which are compatible with the 1.2 based Rom's :
CWM 3.0.2.8 rev5 gtab.cwm.3028.1.2.branch.rev5.rar
CWM 3.0.2.8 rev2 gtab.cwm.3028.1.2.branch.rev2.rar

Here is the 4349 Stock Recovery gtab.4349.stock.recovery.rar
This is the stock 4349 recovery for 1.2 ROM's. It's an update.zip package to flash to 4349 stock recovery, and is OS and hardware agnostic. Do NOT use this on 1.1-based stock or mods!!!!
Installation Instructions
This is in an update.zip format. Extract the rar to the root of your internal memory, so that you have a recovery folder and an update.zip.
Testing
Reboot into recovery (and ensure you have no update.zip in the root of your device). Standard recovery, unlike clockworkmod, has blue text, with a minimal set of tools like factory reset and a calibration tool.

In addition, a great person at XDA took the times to share his knowledge on this website. Please visit XDA and thanks him.
Ref : Home - Viewsonic GTablet For Dummies
Ref: gtab for dummies - xda-developers

Last edited:

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
I'm on 1.1.. but just waiting for the dust to settle on the Honeycomb builds.. once they hit beta I'll be switching... I'd be interest to see how that 1.2 based CM7 is... haven't heard of that being ported over the 1.2 loader as yet.. where might I find that?

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Oddly enough I have never heard of this term before. I'm using the new G-Harmony-Gingerbread v2.5 now. Not sure which one it is.

Phoenix84

Jun 14, 2011
This is my first post here, so forgive me if I repeat information (I'm also on SLD).
1.1, 1.2. Doesn't really matter to me. Once you know how to flash between them (stock recovery only), then it's not a big deal. I'm currently using BoS (1.2) because I want a tablet OS (CM7 w/tablet tweaks is nice, but if I'm forgoing video acceleration, I'll just go to HC).
Once you learn the "gotchas" with it, it's not difficult to work around. A lot of ROMs now make it easy to switch recoveries directly in the ROM (ie. BC, ML). One thing I would suggest, if you don't NEED ClockWorkMod, then don't use it. If you don't use it, then it won't matter as much if you flash 1.1 or 1.2.

Last edited:

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
@Phoenix84,
Welcome to the forum and greetings to your comments.
Incidentally, my opinion is 180 degrees from yours.

The difference between 1.1 and 1.2 bootloaders makes no difference to some, like yourself, who are either very smart or have plenty of experiences. But for others, it is quite a hurdle. We've seen enough posts with sad stories about dealing and switching between the two. The two great developers, Gojimi & Roebeet, have tried repeatedly to warn and/or released flashes to help with the back-out, recovery, etc . . Therefore, the work from Zyhong that incorporated the two great rom's (CM7 Ginger + VEGAn Ginger) on 1.2 bootloader provides a significant relief to the community. Needless to say, these developers did it, and will continue to do so, out of their kind hearts.

Once we learned the 'gotchas', everything would be easy. That is true. For some, the learning curve takes minutes, or hours. But for others, it would be a long road that fills up with brick, soft brick, bork, loop, etc . . . Another kind hearted person spent the effort to create a help site for dummies (see first post).

CWM is a most valuable tool, although it has dual blades. At the beginning of my learning curve, I forced myself not to use it. All was fine. Then, after multiple flashing's, I realized that using CWM is very beneficial such as Backup, Restore and Troubleshooting.

With all that said, we hope to learn more from your great intelligence and vast experiences.

Dave

Phoenix84

Jun 14, 2011
@Phoenix84,
Welcome to the forum and greetings to your comments.
Incidentally, my opinion is 180 degrees from yours.

The difference between 1.1 and 1.2 bootloaders makes no difference to some, like yourself, who are either very smart or have plenty of experiences. But for others, it is quite a hurdle. We've seen enough posts with sad stories about dealing and switching between the two. The two great developers, Gojimi & Roebeet, have tried repeatedly to warn and/or released flashes to help with the back-out, recovery, etc . . Therefore, the work from Zyhong that incorporated the two great rom's (CM7 Ginger + VEGAn Ginger) on 1.2 bootloader provides a significant relief to the community. Needless to say, these developers did it, and will continue to do so, out of their kind hearts.

Once we learned the 'gotchas', everything would be easy. That is true. For some, the learning curve takes minutes, or hours. But for others, it would be a long road that fills up with brick, soft brick, bork, loop, etc . . . Another kind hearted person spent the effort to create a help site for dummies (see first post).

CWM is a most valuable tool, although it has dual blades. At the beginning of my learning curve, I forced myself not to use it. All was fine. Then, after multiple flashing's, I realized that using CWM is very beneficial such as Backup, Restore and Troubleshooting.

With all that said, we hope to learn more from your great intelligence and vast experiences.

Dave

You do have a point, I think the biggest hurdle is CWM. CWM used to be recommended by many and now it's not, that can be confusing to many. Especially since I also use CWM on my phone, so I want it on my tablet, not realizing the implications. If people didn't know about that, there'd be far less issues I think. It wouldn't get rid of all the issues, but it would help, especially if all the ROM makers include a recovery image and bootloader in their images, and don't use a recovery <3588. It seems more of them are now, which is great. Perhaps I was too short-sighted in my initial post. That may have been from the experience I built up, as you mentioned.
I personally do NOT recommend CWM for anyone new to this tablet. It is a highly valuable tool, and I use it. However I know of the limitations (again, experience).
I gave a full explanation here.

Sorry, I should have explained better before.