Poor mic quality after Honeycomb 10c

flocker

Apr 2, 2011
Had posted about possible external mic...but after further troubleshooting seems the mic quality is poor in all apps. When Skyping other person says only garble can be heard...like volume too loud for a speaker. An app called Talking Tom (for my daughter) records your voice as you speak into mic, then he repeats everything. Before HC 10b and with root and newest Coby fw Tom sounded fine...since HC poor...as if he's not really hearing me well.

Funny tho...an app called Musical Lite has a musical pitch component. If you blow into the small hole for the mic, the exact tone will play...for choir or musical instruments. The notes play as expected. Not sure what this means...I'm not sending any vocal, just blowing.

In any case, anyone have ideas...or experiencing anything similar.

Greetings from Hamburg (Coby MID7015a with HC 10b)

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Nothing change for that MIC from OEM ROM into HC. I like the piano feature app! We always had a piano in the house when I was growing up. Today the tablet is my piano. Wish there was a Harmonica app or something like too.

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
Had posted about possible external mic...but after further troubleshooting seems the mic quality is poor in all apps. When Skyping other person says only garble can be heard...like volume too loud for a speaker. An app called Talking Tom (for my daughter) records your voice as you speak into mic, then he repeats everything. Before HC 10b and with root and newest Coby fw Tom sounded fine...since HC poor...as if he's not really hearing me well.

Funny tho...an app called Musical Lite has a musical pitch component. If you blow into the small hole for the mic, the exact tone will play...for choir or musical instruments. The notes play as expected. Not sure what this means...I'm not sending any vocal, just blowing.

In any case, anyone have ideas...or experiencing anything similar.

Greetings from Hamburg (Coby MID7015a with HC 10b)

So if you go back to the stock ROM you don't have this problem? Have you tried it to be sure?

tovokas

Mar 19, 2011
Strange... seeing similar here. AndRecorder works fine in stock rooted... but recordings are garbled In hcb10-f.

Sent from my 7015/7015A HONEYCOMB V9.8.5 B10-F ACADEV using Android Tablet Forum

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Stock ROM, I guess I'll startup that closed project then. Got two of these bad boys so one can run my test. B10-P was re-Released again that one is gutted and added more tweaks for performance into the HW instead of the SW.

isyntax

Apr 6, 2011
I got the same issue too. In stock rom, I can record with a good quality, but when I tried to make a voice call in HC B10 I sounded like robotic according to the person I'm talking with.

nagahtom

Mar 26, 2011
I had the static problem with the MIC. While playing around with it I found out that I was screaming into the little MIC hole. Once I pulled my head back about 8 to 12 inches, the MIC worked fine with no static. Since then, I've skyped with it and I've nettalked with it without any problems. Actually a good MIC. Just need to move back a bit. Go figure.

I got the same issue too. In stock rom, I can record with a good quality, but when I tried to make a voice call in HC B10 I sounded like robotic according to the person I'm talking with.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
I've downloaded the Talking Cat and the Talking James Squirrel and my mic is okay no issues the cat repeats what I say I can hear it clear. This is so cool like the old days on TRS-80. Just to let you know the Volume on the B14 is double plus 1.

ss-0-320-480-160-1-af8347a3e8e34e27436feab3ec7697adcd3228df

ss-0-320-480-160-1-98ec7df912d8af3b7134cf06a897bcfc19ebdf3b

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Follow-up this is so interactive oh boy.. Even picks up my two dogs 3 rooms away barking. Comes in so clear. I see you have to speak clearly. But it does pickup your words. It can't say everything. I say meow it can't say it like that. Like the old Voice-S for PCs. You have to train them to say the word. So MEOW would be like this.. ME space and wait then say OW the cat will say it completed.

worm9110

Feb 20, 2011
I wouldn't say it's Phone quality but it is good enough to understand what Talking Tom repeats. I believe it is just a not so high quality mic and not ROM related.