Possible release date for the 3.1 update

2wheelsagain

May 29, 2011
Interesting. No major short commings for me in 3.0 but i guess I will update.
I think to many people wish Honeycombe was more like Windows/Mac but it's not designed to be is it.

Dart

May 2, 2011
I understand 3.1 allows more USB connectivity. I am hoping for that, so I might be able to hook up a 3G modem. Also, I have a bluetooth keyboard that does not work now, maybe it will with 3.1.

I also hope that more and more app developers will start kicking out apps! Maybe they were waiting for 3.1???

crowd pleaser

Jun 20, 2011
sorry if asking a newb question, i'm looking around and get dizzy with 1.5 - 2.2 qand so on

are most tablets (android flavour) upgraqeable to new software revisions? i note on ebay vendors sites that the official app google market place is only available to some tablets above 2.2 (i assume).

this restriction seems a bit crazy as surely the attraction of the android platform as it is with apple's, is the sheer availability of many apps to tweak your tablet to do what you want.

CP

theallspark

Jun 5, 2011
depends on location? do you guys think I'll be able to receive the update? coz Im from Philippines and the a500 tab isn't even out here yet. got mine from New Jersey when I went on vacation though.

any thoughts? thank you very much! :)

MrBlazito

May 8, 2011
^ Yes you'll get the update. How soon? That depends on your location. Your country might be first or last, we'll find out soon.

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
It will probably go just like the last update did...I'll be late on the list....

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
sorry if asking a newb question, i'm looking around and get dizzy with 1.5 - 2.2 qand so on

are most tablets (android flavour) upgraqeable to new software revisions? i note on ebay vendors sites that the official app google market place is only available to some tablets above 2.2 (i assume).

this restriction seems a bit crazy as surely the attraction of the android platform as it is with apple's, is the sheer availability of many apps to tweak your tablet to do what you want.

CP
cp, it's kind of complicated. Because there are several manufacturers of Android equipment the software can lose support ( most likely as an effort to get you to upgrade the equipment vs the software.) Honeycomb (3.0) is Google's attempt to get more control and to make sure consumers get updates in a more timely manner. Time will only tell how that works out.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
are most tablets (android flavour) upgraqeable to new software revisions

Its the same with Windows or Mac computers. New software releases come out.
New features come in later releases. Bugs are fixed. Things generally work better.

Same with phones and tablets.

No reason to be confused about it. Its a hand held computer and it gets upgrades over its useful life span.
All tablets from reputable manufacturers are expected to get upgrades sent to them automatically for
a couple years at least. After that is anyone's guess.

At some point in time your computer is not capable of handling the minimum requirements of the upgrade.
So the upgrades will likely stop coming, and you will move onto a better device. That's likely going
to happen about 3 years from original release on any hand held device. It will still work and do all
the things it does today, its just that automatic upgrades will stop coming.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
If you guys can't wait for the official release via the tablet, you can download the leaked 3.1 update here Is 100% real, The Acer official 3.1 Has come! - xda-developers
Here are the instructions on how to install it : Honeycomb 3.1 release date and changelogs for Iconia - Page 2

Be sure you read thru that WHOLE thread on XDA (all 11 pages) before you rush in and install this, because its probably NOT the official release for the US, and there are a lot of reports of problems with this release. Since it was originally posted from Mainland China, it could be totally bogus and backdoored. There are a lot of people on XDA that like to live dangerously.

You are days away from getting an OTA, why hack your tablet with some bastardized release?

Last edited:

MrBlazito

May 8, 2011
yea i don't plan on installing a leaked update. i can wait...but i know some people can't wait.

taichimaster

Apr 29, 2011
Took a look at the reference, not interested in screwing up my Acer for a couple of days advance, but I would be interested in taking a look at the change log.

Anyone out there have it and want to post it here?

Ken

MrBlazito

May 8, 2011
from reading some of the posts on the other forum...rooting doesn't work after the 3.1 update...will have to wait for a fix.