Possible release date for the 3.1 update

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
I've got 3.1 now, anyone that has replaced wpa_supplicant or removed the phone and telephony apks will need to put them back before the update will install successfully.

Somethings I've noticed:

Market browsing remembers where you are so you don't have to scroll back to where you were
App menu scrolls faster and more smoothly
NO MORE CELL STANDBY BATTERY USAGE
Movie editor app

Overall it feels more polished and smooth, I'm hoping it's also more stable and my Iconia doesn't crash or freeze anymore. We'll see what happens over the next few days! :)

There seems to be a new video player app that has a red film icon. This one plays videos you rent from Google, in addition to your own. I think this is a new app...I don't remember seeing it.

Last edited:

lded21

Jul 2, 2011
Yes is got the update but not 3.1 as well... same kernel number no 3.1 and the build seems older too

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

MrBlazito

May 8, 2011
lol the hell is Acer doing?...why would they stop the 141 update a month ago, and start pushing it again now along with random 3.1 updates?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
lol the hell is Acer doing?...why would they stop the 141 update a month ago, and start pushing it again now along with random 3.1 updates?

Maybe they discovered it was a prerequisite for getting 3.1 to work properly or something.

The other question is did any of those people who rushed in and installed that hacked/leaked version get the real 3.1???
Or are they permanently stuck with that half baked hack job?

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
Hi ALL,

Well, I just turned it on around noon EDT (Florida) and still no update for me!! I know I'll get it eventually but it IS frustrating just waiting for it to come over. I did get the earlier small update so if you had to get that update before getting the 3.1 update, that should have no effect on me!

All I can do is wait! However if I don't get it today and still don't get it on Wed morning, Acer is going to get a call from me!!

Gerry

P. S. I am NOT rooted nor anything like that. I got that earlier update with no problems.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Hi ALL,

All I can do is wait! However if I don't get it today and still don't get it on Wed morning, Acer is going to get a call from me!!

Is this your first Android device?

You should be advised that he more units sold the longer it takes to roll updates out. For my nexus one it takes about two weeks from the time the first ota gets released till mine rolls in.

Acer doesn't have the band width to do them all at once.

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011

I think you'd be better off just waiting...A call to them is unlike to do anything other than keep you frustrated. I would also advise you to keep your Acer turn on and plugged it. Who knows how the updating process really works. If it depends on bandwidth, then it might only trigger if your machine can "hear" them during the window when they are sending to your group of serial numbers. It your machine is off, you might have to wait until the next round....pure speculation on my part, though.

ObsidianBlk

May 13, 2011
Is this your first Android device?

You should be advised that he more units sold the longer it takes to roll updates out. For my nexus one it takes about two weeks from the time the first ota gets released till mine rolls in.

Acer doesn't have the band width to do them all at once.

And while ultimately my reply to this boils down to "if wishes were horses", honestly, I feel the excuse that Acer just doesnt have the bandwidth to be bullshiz on a number of levels. Firstly, acer, while not as huge as apple, microsoft or the like, is not by any stretch of the imagination a small company. They should have the financial horsepower to support the user base for devices that require internet based update schemes, especially considering, by the best estimate I've read, they've only sold a very small fraction of the number of tablets as apple has.

This whole thing about taking more than a day or two to cover their global user base of a500 tablets is rediculous. If it takes that long they should get their collective heads out of the rectal cavities and do some brainstorming on alternative plans. Third party hosting for the patch, or even... dare I say it... web download for the patch (of course why they dont do this leads me into a whole second rant about "locking down" tablets in the first place, which I think is obscene as well, but I will not go into)

Let me just say, I don't have anything against Acer. I love my a500... its a solid machine both construction wise and software. Its just network distribution is not new, nor untested, and there're a lot of strategies that can be applied, especially considering this relatively small user base. Bandwidth issues for a company like Acer or this product should be (wishes and horses) a non-issue.

Epyx

May 27, 2011
You would think they could build in some kind of torrent updater...let us share the load and let the volume of people work to their advantage in providing updates...at least as an option. Not like torrents are a new thing.

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
This whole thing about taking more than a day or two to cover their global user base of a500 tablets is rediculous.

Oh come on....even updates that come from other companies take a while to go out to all devices. I get the same thing from Logitech when it comes to updates for google tv...and similar from HTC for my droid phone...that's just the way it is.....its part of supporting Google stuff thah come from a multitude of vendors....what is really ridiculous is that people are so impatient...the updating just started yesterday so it has barely been two days yet. Finally, HC 3.1 is not going to be rocking your world....

kes601

May 23, 2011
Oh come on....even updates that come from other companies take a while to go out to all devices. I get the same thing from Logitech when it comes to updates for google tv...and similar from HTC for my droid phone...that's just the way it is.....its part of supporting Google stuff thah come from a multitude of vendors....what is really ridiculous is that people are so impatient...the updating just started yesterday so it has barely been two days yet. Finally, HC 3.1 is not going to be rocking your world....

I'm fine with an update taking a day or two to roll-out, however it really shouldn't. There aren't that many A500s out there. Also, why the heck are they pushing out 3.0.1 now? IF it is a prerequisite for 3.1, then they should have pushed it out a week or two ago. I am subscribing to the theory that somebody messed up and they are pushing out the wrong update w/o knowing it (well, hopefully they know now).

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
I'm fine with an update taking a day or two to roll-out, however it really shouldn't. There aren't that many A500s out there. Also, why the heck are they pushing out 3.0.1 now? IF it is a prerequisite for 3.1, then they should have pushed it out a week or two ago. I am subscribing to the theory that somebody messed up and they are pushing out the wrong update w/o knowing it (well, hopefully they know now).

How can you know what time it would take to send out the updates? Acer is new at this and you don't really know how many units are in the field. As to the other question, who knows? And really, that has little to do with any of it.