Possible release date for the 3.1 update

scandata

Jun 23, 2011
I'm guessing that the old updates are necessary before HC 3.1 can be installed. Once EVERYONE has the old updates installed they'll RE-send the 3.1 update to finish out the rest of us. Just my guess.

Last edited:

Therev1969

May 18, 2011
I haven't even seen a notice for either the 1.4 update or the 3.1update. I bought by A500 the middle of May I got a 1.3 update almost immeadiately, but not a peep since. Grrr. I'm in Canada. Words of wisdom? Thanks.

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
I think you'd be better off just waiting...A call to them is unlike to do anything other than keep you frustrated. I would also advise you to keep your Acer turn on and plugged it. Who knows how the updating process really works. If it depends on bandwidth, then it might only trigger if your machine can "hear" them during the window when they are sending to your group of serial numbers. It your machine is off, you might have to wait until the next round....pure speculation on my part, though.

Well, its 5:30 PM EDT (Florida) and still no 3.1 for me!! :(:mad:

I will still give them a call tomorrow if I don't get it in the morning. I know they will not be able to press a magic button at their end to instantly send me the update. I also know things like this could take a little while to roll out. And I know they are new at this. BUT!!! IT SHOULDN'T TAKE THIS LONG!!! The problem is that those who have already gotten 3.1 are giving it generally good reviews. So that makes those of us who do not have it yet want it even more. At the very least I want to express my displeasure of not getting the 3.1 update when so many others have already gotten it.

Soap box mode - ON!

But, more to the point is that you buy a technical product from a company and with that product you expect a REASONABLE level of support. To me that means the company spending a fair amount of time setting up the specific release of 3.1 and doing it properly. You certainly do not want to rush it. But once its ready they should have enough resources to roll it out as quickly as possible. Not doing so only creates frustration with their users, and if they continue to take a long time to roll out updates, you would be surprised at how many customers they will lose. Acer has to realize that with this type of product they are not just selling the hardware itself, but they are also selling the user support especially in the way they will treat future updates.

Soap box mode - OFF!

Gerry

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
Gerry,

You might want to read the post just made by Kes601:

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...um/18372-official-acer-response-re-3-1-a.html

All of this preaching people are doing when they know little of the insides of how things function is what leads to so much frustration.

You are ABSOLUTELY right! But that's human nature and companies have to realize with a product like this support and update responsiveness will be much more important than the product itself!!

Frankly I agree that getting 3.1 is not the greatest thing since sliced bread! And while none of us Acers had it, even though the Xoom and Samsung folks did, it was no big deal. But now that its finally rolling out, those of us who haven't gotten it yet are kind of jealous!! But, I know I'll get it eventually!!!

I already read that thread, and posted on it! :):)

Gerry

P. S. I'm still going to call Acer and complain if I don't get it tomorrow morning!!

Haggis70

Jul 5, 2011
I haven't even seen a notice for either the 1.4 update or the 3.1update. I bought by A500 the middle of May I got a 1.3 update almost immeadiately, but not a peep since. Grrr. I'm in Canada. Words of wisdom? Thanks.

I purchased mine on June 24, and I am still running 1.016.05. Still haven't been able to get any update. Also in Canada.

(I had a Transformer which I returned for the A500. No problem getting that updated to 3.1.)

Haggis70

Jul 5, 2011
That's good info on 3.1. It doesn't really explain why they haven't pushed out a more recent 3.0.1 build to everyone (I'm still on 1.016.05), but it sounds like they might be working on it. I'll give it a few more days.

Too bad they don't do what other vendors do and put it on their web site for manual installation for those that want it prior to doing the automatic pushes.

FarmerTed

May 14, 2011
Well, so far 3.1 has been awesome. No more freezing/crashing, much smoother, 3D games are MUCH faster as well. Overall I think the A500 is finally where it should have been when it was released, but I understand companies want to get the edge so it was likely pushed out before it was truly ready in the hope of getting more of the market.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

fuzzface

Jun 3, 2011
finally Ive received the update. It has so far made my tablet much smoother. The keyboard seems to lag now

jmlivingston

Nov 17, 2010
Just got the update after banging away on the Check for Updates button the last 2 days. Won't have a chance to play with it and see how it runs until after the kids get to bed.

doobievibes

Jun 12, 2011
Yeah, I just got that update. I'm in Vancouver.

I've only had this tablet for two weeks, and it's my first experience with Android.

I've only been playing angry birds and web browsing so far. Looks like there's a lot more out there than that.

DJC27

Jul 25, 2011
Hi everyone,

first post on here, bought my Iconia A500 a week ago, I live in Vancouver (bought it in Edmonton) and when I click on system update, it still says the system is up to date... am I doing something wrong? Should I manually update by downloading an update?

thanks!

DJC27

Jul 25, 2011
Android version is 3.01, kernel version is 2.6.36.3.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum