Possible to Mount SD in Recovery to Access on Laptop?

connorjolley

Dec 16, 2012
So my AMiD-972XS had a process crash the other day, upon reboot the tablet now sits on the ICS splash screen and won't boot. I'm assuming I can do a flash recovery as per instructions in another thread on this forum but don't have access to any other devices that I can insert a micro SD. Wondering if it is possible at all to mount the SD in recovery mode and download the update onto it that way, or do I need to find some other way of getting the updat onto the SD card?

Any suggestions/help much appreciated. I tried doing factory reset without any luck, thinking flash upgrade is now my only option.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
It depends on a few things.

First, you will need to install an ADB driver for your tablet. Plug it in via USB and see if your computer recognizes the device as an ADB device and installs a driver.

Next, you will need ADB. You can get it from the Android SDK, but it is about 400 MB of files for one executable and a few DLL files. You can get the files you need here: http://hotfile.com/dl/137291057/f7c3ff1/adbUnzip2Cdrive.zip.html?lang=en and unzip to someplace like c:\

After that, open a command prompt and type the following commands (assuming you unzipped to c: so the adb is in c:\adb\adb.exe)

Code:
c:
cd c:\adb
adb devices

It should list the connected devices, and should only be your tablet if the driver is installed properly.

Next , you will need to find out if and where the external storage is mounted for your tablet. This will require poking around your tablets file structure with the following commands:

adb shell (this command gets you into the command prompt of the tablet)
ls (that is LS, and it lists the directories and files in the current directory)
cd /blah/ (puts you into directory named blah to run an ls command to see what files are there)
cd .. (returns to the next higher level directory)
cd / (returns you to the root directory)

Poke around with those commands to see where your external storage is mounted. It may be in the /mnt/ directory, or in the /storage/ directory, it is hard to say.

Once you find it, note the location and use the command EXIT to return to your c:\adb> prompt

Next, take your file that you want to push to the microSD and place it in an easy to find location (like c:\adb\firmware.zip)

Then in the command prompt type the following (assuming /storage/sdcard1/ is the location of your microSD)

Code:
adb push c:\adb\firmware.zip /storage/sdcard1/

It should transfer the file (it may take a while depending on the size of the file).

Once it completes, you should be able to see the file in your recovery.

If your recovery can see the internal storage (/sdcard/) you can just push the file to that location and flash it and skip all the trial and error.

connorjolley

Dec 16, 2012
It depends on a few things.

First, you will need to install an ADB driver for your tablet. Plug it in via USB and see if your computer recognizes the device as an ADB device and installs a driver.

Next, you will need ADB. You can get it from the Android SDK, but it is about 400 MB of files for one executable and a few DLL files. You can get the files you need here: Hotfile.com: One click file hosting: adbUnzip2Cdrive.zip and unzip to someplace like c:\

After that, open a command prompt and type the following commands (assuming you unzipped to c: so the adb is in c:\adb\adb.exe)

Code:
c:
cd c:\adb
adb devices

It should list the connected devices, and should only be your tablet if the driver is installed properly.

Next , you will need to find out if and where the external storage is mounted for your tablet. This will require poking around your tablets file structure with the following commands:

adb shell (this command gets you into the command prompt of the tablet)
ls (that is LS, and it lists the directories and files in the current directory)
cd /blah/ (puts you into directory named blah to run an ls command to see what files are there)
cd .. (returns to the next higher level directory)
cd / (returns you to the root directory)

Poke around with those commands to see where your external storage is mounted. It may be in the /mnt/ directory, or in the /storage/ directory, it is hard to say.

Once you find it, note the location and use the command EXIT to return to your c:\adb> prompt

Next, take your file that you want to push to the microSD and place it in an easy to find location (like c:\adb\firmware.zip)

Then in the command prompt type the following (assuming /storage/sdcard1/ is the location of your microSD)

Code:
adb push c:\adb\firmware.zip /storage/sdcard1/

It should transfer the file (it may take a while depending on the size of the file).

Once it completes, you should be able to see the file in your recovery.

If your recovery can see the internal storage (/sdcard/) you can just push the file to that location and flash it and skip all the trial and error.

Awesome, thanks!

But... Probably a bit above my pay grade, had a brainwave last night anyway - might just buy myself a USB/microSD adapter!

(I broke my last Android device using something as simple as clockwork mod, don't think I should be messing around with ADB tbh! :p)

But THANK YOU because that was an awesome reply, maybe will help someone else out in the future :D

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Yeah, I forgot to include the suggestion to drop a few dollars on a microUSB adapter....

connorjolley

Dec 16, 2012
Since you are such a friendly and helpful chap, could you pop your head into the flash recovery thread and offer an opinion on my last reply to it? ;)