Post Upgrade: Kudos and Komplaints?

jgumphress

Sep 6, 2011
Internet VERY slow to non-existent now. Apps that use internet for updates keep popping up an error that they have stopped. It will not even open the Google home page and will not load new mail at all. Internet was very fast and snappy prior to the ICS update. Am I the only one that has this problem? I thought I would see some outrage when I opened the forum just now.

I got it working. Cleared cache, history, and reset to default.

Last edited:

Greg_E

Nov 15, 2011
Internet VERY slow to non-existent now. Apps that use internet for updates keep popping up an error that they have stopped. It will not even open the Google home page and will not load new mail at all. Internet was very fast and snappy prior to the ICS update. Am I the only one that has this problem? I thought I would see some outrage when I opened the forum just now.

Mine is just fine on the internet. The only app that was coming up saying it stopped was Winamp so I uninstalled it and reinstalled, so far so good but I haven't turned the power off since that reinstall.

Don't forget to clear data on apps that you disable, might as well not waste the storage.

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
Figured out screen capture - cool.
Anyone figure out what the built in photo editor does, or where it is? I don't see anything different with my Gallery or any other photo related stuff.
How about access an app from the lock screen or customizing the launcher.

I feel like I'm having one of those standing-on-the-pier-as-the-boat-goes-by moments.

ebookof

Apr 28, 2012
Got the ICS update and since then I have been having lots of problems.

Apps are unstable (they flash rapidly and then crash), including Gmail which I cannot use at all (I have tried to uninstall and reinstall... but the same issues continue).

I have also tried to use the new folder option, but here also, suddenly the folders start to flash before the whole thing crashes leaving only the wallpaper and not option to restart the whole tablet.

Like many other persons, my wifi is also unstable. It fails to connect when I arrive home (it used to before), once connected, it disconnects and does not connect back automatically.

The latest issue: When I ask the tablet to check for an update, the following error message appears: "Network coverage is currently poor. Please move to a location with better coverage to continue". I am just by the wireless router and the tablet itself indicates that the signal is strong. Internet on the tablet works fine.

Did anyone manage to solve this issue. If I am not able to solve it, I won't be able to get the update that will solve all the issues I have. I have probably no choice but to return the tablet to Acer.

I have tried to obtain help from Acer, but they are not really helpful. They only suggest to wait for an update, but do not seem to have an idea on when this might be. However, since the update process does not work, I am not sure how I will be able to get an update correcting all these issues.

Is there any possibility to return back to Honeycomb in the meantime? The new version does not provide a lot of improvements, anyway.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Like many other persons, my wifi is also unstable. It fails to connect when I arrive home (it used to before), once connected, it disconnects and does not connect back automatically.

The latest issue: When I ask the tablet to check for an update, the following error message appears: "Network coverage is currently poor. Please move to a location with better coverage to continue".

These two look like the same problem to me.

You might try watching the WIFI connections page in the settings to see what is going on. Often you will see the connecting, authenticating, obtaining an IP status being displayed over and over as the tablet loops trying to connect.
This is a wide spread problem in many android devices right now, and there is all sorts of speculation as to the cause, and several work arounds, but no hard and fast cure.

If you see this looping, get a paper clip, and poke it in the reset hole on the right side of the tablet while it is behaving this way, and let it reboot. (you won't lose anything). Do that a couple times in a row. Some say it takes two attempts, others say its just a matter of timing.

Things that might work:

1) Power cycle your router.
2) Try connecting to another router. Friendly neighbor, an old router from your junk drawer, public library. Then connect back to your own router.
3) Change your router's SSID.
4) Shorten, but don't eliminate your router's lease time setting. 3 or 4 hours is a good starting place.
5) Lock your router to 802.11G, and turn off the 5ghz band if it is available on your router. (Acer only uses the 2.4ghz band).
6) Get another cheap router Don't pay more than $20. Try New Egg or Walmart. Plug it into your other router, so you don't have to change out any other machines, or replace your other router. Your choice.

MartyTess

Apr 28, 2012
...wait...... i got the exact same problem stating exactly today.... The same message..(network is currently poor). and I didn't receive ICS yet. I'm still on 3.2.1 HC. Since 2 days, i hit the "check for update" button many times a days. I did it couple of time this morning and suddenly, i got this message too. I know my router is fine, all others hardware works perfectly. I did many reset just in case (soft and hard).. its not router related. It seems it doesn't affect the tablet at all...i just have that message all the time now, no other browser or internet connection problems. I'm just curious about this sudden error message... It seems i'm not alone ! I hope it will not interfere with the ICS update...

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
I noticed there are more and more people reporting this problem, I'm wondering if Acer might have temporarily pulled the update because of complaints they are getting, and they want to do a little fixing before letting anymore people download it. It happened before.

MartyTess

Apr 28, 2012
ok i think its definitly a new problem from Acer side, i can count at least 4 others person relating the exact same problem in other treads n that forum and on another forum...

Greg_E

Nov 15, 2011
OK, Upon boot my Winamp has quit again. I have no issues with folders. My Wifi seems strong, checking for update says mine is up to date so not getting any errors.

diiorio

Dec 21, 2011

Apps are unstable (they flash rapidly and then crash), including Gmail which I cannot use at all (I have tried to uninstall and reinstall... but the same issues continue).

A: This isn't normal. Many apps should have come up offering updates (ICS corrective support). IF Gmail is crashing then somethign is preventeing normal APK execution. To be clear. You haven't at any point had a leaked version flashed? Correct. On the Developer site, even when they don't want to admit it is an issue, it is clear that people changed the bootloader, as well as flashed withotu flashing back. THis is leadign to improper installs. and even wrong update versions. Withotu the new isntalled bootloader in the update, it can not optimize after install. If you haven't then try a factory reset. Remove any programs that alter normal states as well.

I have also tried to use the new folder option, but here also, suddenly the folders start to flash before the whole thing crashes leaving only the wallpaper and not option to restart the whole tablet.

Once agai nthe isntall isn't right nor optimized. may need a full reset. If you can find a downloadable, UNALTERED update file try a reflash of the SD card.

A:I haven't had this issue, I stay connected all the time and can connect to others with no issue. I however have my router to Wireless N only since all my devices are WIreless N. So not sure if it is an issue wth the router switchign modes between different sevices or not. Try setting to N only and seeign if that helps.

The latest issue: When I ask the tablet to check for an update, the following error message appears: "Network coverage is currently poor. Please move to a location with better coverage to continue". I am just by the wireless router and the tablet itself indicates that the signal is strong. Internet on the tablet works fine.

A: seems to be there network causing this. You are placed in a que or its not fully ready to send to you causign that message to trigger.

Did anyone manage to solve this issue. If I am not able to solve it, I won't be able to get the update that will solve all the issues I have. I have probably no choice but to return the tablet to Acer.

A: call them to see if they can suppy a downloadable offcial .zip install.

I have tried to obtain help from Acer, but they are not really helpful. They only suggest to wait for an update, but do not seem to have an idea on when this might be. However, since the update process does not work, I am not sure how I will be able to get an update correcting all these issues.

Is there any possibility to return back to Honeycomb in the meantime? The new version does not provide a lot of improvements, anyway.

on The XDA Developer site forum There shoudl be a HC flash version that is unaltered, follow directions correctly, really isn't ahrd to do.

Now performance wise, ICS is much faster, smoother, and has benifits you can not seee by lookign at the screen. BEnchmark scores alone are apparent. Folder options without need of theme programs to slow things, and I personally get fast GPS lock on now, improved mic (a soft tweak improves it further) and much better game and app performances.

BE sure you get the correct bootloader, and flash. Be carefull because the ADA site peopel love to change things and call it their own, but it can hinder you in the long run when not official loaders. Make sure they are pure factory restores.

detz

Jan 3, 2012
diiorio.... could you tell us all how to "improved mic (a soft tweak improves it further)". thxs

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011

You obviously had a bad install which can happen with anything that gets updated. Obviously they would not put out a ROM that couldn't run any apps without crashing all the time. Your best option is to try an factory reset and see if that solves your issues. This may or may not also solve the wifi issues. There are many things that could be causing the wifi issues and a search should bring up solutions for things such as unhiding the SSID, switching from WPA to WEP and updating the firmware on your wifi router.

Just relying on an "update" to the update isn't the solution since you have an abnormal device at this point. It isn't like everybody else is in the same boat and it was suddenly realized a bad ICS was pushed out and it needs to be corrected. You need to work on getting a clean stable install of ICS first and then see what your issues are. Just bad luck that you didn't get a clean update but that is how it goes sometimes.

EDIT: Looks like you already got the same advice and some other good advice in this thread http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...y-issues-ics-update-not-sure-its-worth-2.html (for others with similar issues).

Last edited:

ebookof

Apr 28, 2012
There are a lot of people complaining in the different forums. So, it would mean that a lot of people had a bad install, which I doubt. If all these people had a bad install, it would mean that the update itself had an issue that caused it (incidents happen... but not at the rate I see on the forums). I have finally done a factory reset. It seems to have solved some issues, but others are outstanding. Seems to be solved: - Unstable applications (flashing and crashing, including Gmail). - Unstable folders (flashing, crashing and all icons on the desktop disappearing). Unsolved: - The GPS does not work (this is a new issue I had not noticed before). - System update does not work (indicates that network coverage is insufficient despite the signal being strong and staying beside the wireless router). - Wifi is unstable (it does not seem to disconnect anymore, but the strength varies a lot, despite I am not moving and other devices show a constant and strong signal). - One time, the device refused to change the orientation, despite I tried several time (had to reboot). Many people have reported these issues. By searching on the Internet, I also noticed that beta versions had many issues. It seems these issues were not solved.

Last edited: