Post Upgrade: Kudos and Komplaints?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Well, it's like MrHelper said in the other thread people aren't going to post if everything is ok. There are probably a small percentage of the people who are making noise becasue things didn't go right. Understandable but by no means does it mean there are tons of issues. Did you look into his suggestion about app/task killers? How about battery managers or extender which frequently work the same way by trying to extend battery life by killing processes.

Have you tried clearing the cache of gmail and other apps you are having problems with? How about uninstalling and reinstalling them? There are many things it seems you have not tried but you seem stuck on the idea of system update. I'm not sure how that one is going to help you since you already have an up to date system you just need to work out the kinks.

ebookof

Apr 28, 2012
Well, it's like MrHelper said in the other thread people aren't going to post if everything is ok. There are probably a small percentage of the people who are making noise becasue things didn't go right. Understandable but by no means does it mean there are tons of issues. Did you look into his suggestion about app/task killers? How about battery managers or extender which frequently work the same way by trying to extend battery life by killing processes. Have you tried clearing the cache of gmail and other apps you are having problems with? How about uninstalling and reinstalling them? There are many things it seems you have not tried but you seem stuck on the idea of system update. I'm not sure how that one is going to help you since you already have an up to date system you just need to work out the kinks.
As you know, by reading previous posts, I have done a pinhole reset (no effect), I have done a factory reset (some improvements, but many issues remain), all apps have been uninstalled, I haven't rooted my device, the update went fine, and I don't have all these apps that interfere with the system. Lots of people complain on the different forums and complain about the same issues (even if they do not have the same applications...). It is true that people for whom things went fine will not go on the forum. It is also true that companies like Acer pay people to post positive information in forums. Seeing that people that post positive experiences are often the same people and seem to spend a huge time doing it (why would you spend so much time posting positive experience... if things are going well), I am starting to wonder if there are not a few people working for Acer on the forums that try to minimize the issues.

detz

Jan 3, 2012
everything works fine for me. not even one issue. and i DONT work for acer:)

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Well, I guess you will never know if that is the case. What you do know and can control is what you read and try. There is good advice and there are people trying to help. Eventually somebody will help you with the right thing for your particular problems. One other issue I can think of is if you are using an alternate home launcher as these have also been known to create some of the issues you are experiencing.

diiorio

Dec 21, 2011
There are software that increases the sensitivity (sometimes way to much)

Even that gimmick EVP program for ghsot hunting does, but you will hear every background noice in the room right down to your pc's fan..

Jsut try various ones.

diiorio

Dec 21, 2011
No we don't work for Acer. I would end up fired

Yet there are XDA peopel who try to cover up the fact their leaked rosm have caused issues, and that they didn't relaize defautl bootloaders and roms to get back to actuall full state which will cause issues in the new update when it can't configuare correctly and you end up with an none optimized tablet.

Signs often are display issues, file structure and APK launching issues.

Also failure of market updates.

wolfganggold

May 11, 2011
I've fortunately not had any of the issues you guys are experiencing. Hope everything gets ironed out.

It looks like the microphone issue has indeed been cleared up...I didn't use the camcorder much but I might now that you can actually hear what's going on. I like the cleaner look of the system fonts and the stackable icons.

Maps had gotten very crashy for me... like Icebike, I could get it to crash just by zooming a little bit. Now it seems to be very stable.

Also, voice recognition is MUCH improved (and it was pretty good before). I was using it in facebook messenger last night and it displayed what I was saying as I talked as opposed to waiting for me to finish speaking and then putting up its best guess. For the most part it was spot on, even getting it right when I said "effluvia" (don't ask what we were talking about :))

One question: has anyone found a way to manage settings on the icon stacks you create? I'd like to be able to set which app is showing up on top without having to start over since it seems that whatever icon you start building the stack with is on top. It'd be nice to be able to stack them according to "popularity" ie as I use apps in the stack, the most used one pops to the front and acts as the "cover".

In general, I'm happy with the update...worth the wait!

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
I have an annoyance with WiFi. Every time I sleep the tablet for several minutes, I lose connection to the internet. It still says it's connected, but I can't go anywhere. I have a toggle app on my desktop and I have to toggle WiFi off, then back on again and it's fine and stays on and is better than before according to the WiFi Analyzer, until I put the tablet in sleep mode again. I'm real happy with WiFi otherwise, but it would be better if it didn't lose connection when it sleeps. I tried both static and DHCP IP settings, and did the forget network, and added it back in, but nothing fixes it. Anybody else have this problem, or any suggestions to try to fix it?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I have an annoyance with WiFi. Every time I sleep the tablet for several minutes, I lose connection to the internet. It still says it's connected, but I can't go anywhere. I have a toggle app on my desktop and I have to toggle WiFi off, then back on again and it's fine and stays on and is better than before according to the WiFi Analyzer, until I put the tablet in sleep mode again. I'm real happy with WiFi otherwise, but it would be better if it didn't lose connection when it sleeps. I tried both static and DHCP IP settings, and did the forget network, and added it back in, but nothing fixes it. Anybody else have this problem, or any suggestions to try to fix it?

Frap: Try leaving Bluetooth on. See if it makes a difference. Keeps the wifi chipset from going into such a deep sleep state.

Also double check and Set keep wifi on during sleep to ALWAYS (its under menu/advanced in wifi settings).

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
One question: has anyone found a way to manage settings on the icon stacks you create? I'd like to be able to set which app is showing up on top without having to start over since it seems that whatever icon you start building the stack with is on top. It'd be nice to be able to stack them according to "popularity" ie as I use apps in the stack, the most used one pops to the front and acts as the "cover".

Tap the stack, it pops open to show all the icons.
Tap and drag the one you want as a "cover" to the upper left most position. Done.

StoneKy

Jul 30, 2011

The apps within the stack are movable. Whichever you drag to position 1 is the one that will show in the stack. Have no clue to auto popularity.

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
Frap: Try leaving Bluetooth on. See if it makes a difference. Keeps the wifi chipset from going into such a deep sleep state.

Also double check and Set keep wifi on during sleep to ALWAYS (its under menu/advanced in wifi settings).

I tried what you suggested Icebike, turned Bluetooth on and put it to sleep for over 30 minutes but after I turned it on again the signal was lost while indicating it's still connected, and I couldn't go anywhere. The ALWAYS setting was still checked and always has been. I was hoping this would work. I can live with it though. It just takes a few seconds to toggle the WiFi widget and it connects right away and stays connected as long as I want to use it, so no biggie. If you have any other suggestions, please let me know. Thank you for your help.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I have been having this happen on a Gingerbread tablet recently (just the past week or so). I wonder if it is do to a new app download or an app update? Maybe the app is messing with the wifi somehow.