Post Upgrade: Kudos and Komplaints?

kennyh

May 12, 2012
Hi, I'm new here, and I'd love some advice please.
I have the Acer A500 with 8 gigs of memory, and a 16 gb sd card inserted.
Prior to upgrading to ICS, I had no problems with downloading apps and handling memory.
After updating to ICS, I had trouble with memory errors. I couldn't update apps because of memory shortages. I deleted several apps, but I'm just on the border. I tried to use app 2 SD, but it says that the SD card memory is virtual and it won't let me copy apps to the SD card.
I wanted to connect the a500 to my PC to see if I could delete more of my downloads (or move them to the SD card), and now when I plug it into my PC, I can't see the iconia in 'my computer'.
Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Kenny

kennyh

May 12, 2012
OK. Admission time - I figured out that I mistakenly added 2 movies to the tablet memory. Once I moved them to the SD, all is good. I'd still appreciate advice re: connecting the tablet to the PC. Thanks.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
OK. Admission time - I figured out that I mistakenly added 2 movies to the tablet memory. Once I moved them to the SD, all is good. I'd still appreciate advice re: connecting the tablet to the PC. Thanks.
Have you loaded the USB driver for the tablet on your PC?

If you haven't you will need to dwnld it from ACER. install driver then plug your tablet in.

kennyh

May 12, 2012
Hi,
Yes, I had installed it - but do I have to reinstall it after updating to ICS? ( I guess so, because it's not working now,,,)

juhni

Dec 5, 2011
Toggle usb debugging on and off. If you computer doesn't recognize your tablet when you plug it in, check your USB cable. You may have to remove your drivers from your computer and reinstall them.

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
How about access an app from the lock screen or customizing the launcher.
I haven't been able to access any app other than Google Music from the lock screen, anyone else have any luck with anything else?
I have the impression that we did not get a customizible launcher, is that true?

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I haven't been able to access any app other than Google Music from the lock screen, anyone else have any luck with anything else?
I have the impression that we did not get a customizible launcher, is that true?
Go buy a tick in LOTTO - in other words yip.

But as a whole I don't seem to have a problem.

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
Go buy a tick in LOTTO - in other words yip.

But as a whole I don't seem to have a problem.
What?

Battery life seems to be an issue (that or it's bad timing in the life of my battery). I'll pull it off the charger (at 100%) use it for 20min to check email, play a card game, surf and it will be at 82%. Then I'll put it down for an hour or 2 and when I pick it back up, it's 45% or under.
According to the tablet, nothing is running to suck up the juice.
I'm wondering if there is an easy fix or is this a warranty call.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011

Sorry you didn't get my attempt at humour. You got it right there is no customisable launcher available on ICS unless you want to root your tablet.

Battery life seems to be an issue (that or it's bad timing in the life of my battery). I'll pull it off the charger (at 100%) use it for 20min to check email, play a card game, surf and it will be at 82%. Then I'll put it down for an hour or 2 and when I pick it back up, it's 45% or under.
According to the tablet, nothing is running to suck up the juice.
I'm wondering if there is an easy fix or is this a warranty call.
Have you turned on Bluetooth as well? Turn off the GPS - if you don't need it. Dial back the Display brightness.Icebike reckons one should leave the WIFI active in sleep. I don't let my tablet sleep unless it is plugged into the PSU. As so far I haven't had real problm .

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
Sorry you didn't get my attempt at humour. You got it right there is no customisable launcher available on ICS unless you want to root your tablet.
Kinda figured.

Have you turned on Bluetooth as well? Turn off the GPS - if you don't need it. Dial back the Display brightness.Icebike reckons one should leave the WIFI active in sleep. I don't let my tablet sleep unless it is plugged into the PSU. As so far I haven't had real problm .
Bluetooth: always on/ GPS?. I thought someone said they're all in the same chipset so never turn any of them off (BT/GPS/WiFi). Brightness is low and mine never sleeps. Still can't figure it out.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
You got it right there is no customisable launcher available on ICS unless you want to root your tablet.

Are you sure this is correct? I am not sure when it comes to the Acers but generally speaking root is not a requirement to change the home launcher.

Kinda figured.

Bluetooth: always on/ GPS?. I thought someone said they're all in the same chipset so never turn any of them off (BT/GPS/WiFi). Brightness is low and mine never sleeps. Still can't figure it out.

It is typical for the wifi and bluetooth to be on the same chipset but the GPS is often on its own. In any case having them on the same chipset doesn't mean they have to be all on or all off. Keeping the bluetooth and GPS off when not in use can lead to big battery savings. Also setting the time out to a short time will help conserve battery.

You say according to Android nothing is sucking up that juice. Where did you check? Did you look at the battery stats? What was listed there? Did you also check the apps to see what was using processor?

A battery app or app monitoring app could give you more details on what is actually running and taking up juice since the built in ones are sort of generic. You should see a big improvement by turning off the bluetooth and GPS though. Also why does your tablet never sleep? Are you saying you have set it to not sleep or it just never times out when it is supposed to?

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
It is typical for the wifi and bluetooth to be on the same chipset but the GPS is often on its own. In any case having them on the same chipset doesn't mean they have to be all on or all off. Keeping the bluetooth and GPS off when not in use can lead to big battery savings. Also setting the time out to a short time will help conserve battery.

You say according to Android nothing is sucking up that juice. Where did you check? Did you look at the battery stats? What was listed there? Did you also check the apps to see what was using processor?

A battery app or app monitoring app could give you more details on what is actually running and taking up juice since the built in ones are sort of generic. You should see a big improvement by turning off the bluetooth and GPS though. Also why does your tablet never sleep? Are you saying you have set it to not sleep or it just never times out when it is supposed to?

I've just been using the Battery option under setting. It says 62% of my usage is screen. It also says that Maps has been using 16%. Why Maps is running, I don't know. It rarely leaves the house.
What I do find interesting is that instead of the constant orange when charging, it's pulsating an orangy-white. I've never noticed it before.
I wonder if it's related.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
The maps may be related to leaving the GPS on. More than likely you have the maps/device updating your location every so often. Try changing your location settings in maps and in the device settings and also turning off gps.

I'm not sure what the light means. Maybe a bad connection for charging?