Post Upgrade: Kudos and Komplaints?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I've just been using the Battery option under setting. It says 62% of my usage is screen. It also says that Maps has been using 16%. Why Maps is running, I don't know. It rarely leaves the house.
What I do find interesting is that instead of the constant orange when charging, it's pulsating an orangy-white. I've never noticed it before.
I wonder if it's related.

62% screen is normal.
16% Maps is high.

These numbers are highly dependent on when you check them. Check them right after coming off the charger and they are meaningless. After a few hours they give a good idea of how much battery is being used by each app.

Some websites that know your location (Google news for instance) use components of maps to determine location in ICS, so this may be misleading. Go into running apps in the settings and kill maps, or anything else that may want to know where you are, like checkin services etc.

Orange = charging
White = accessing the web, checking mail, checking for updates, facebook etc. Find those apps that you do not need to be constantly checking and uncheck them under accounts an sync. Tap your gmail account in accounts and sync and turn off any components you don't need synced. (Really, I just don't worry about this that much, since its only wifi traffic).

strider_mt2k

Nov 22, 2010
I've been playing around with leaving the Clock application running to see if it keeps my A500 from going into the "sleep of death" that I described in an earlier post.
So far it seems to sleep normally if I leave the Clock app running and then hit the power button.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I've just been using the Battery option under setting. It says 62% of my usage is screen. It also says that Maps has been using 16%. Why Maps is running, I don't know. It rarely leaves the house.
What I do find interesting is that instead of the constant orange when charging, it's pulsating an orangy-white. I've never noticed it before.
I wonder if it's related.
Here is a stupid question: are you using the oem charger/plug pack?

If I remember correctly, on one of the other threads, someone was complaining of a similar thing. Turned out that it was the charger not charging the battery properly.

But then again, if you have the WIFI active "while plugged in" and asleep which is one of 3 options you can choose, the power button will flash on occasions where the A500 is getting mail updates and etc.

If however this is happening while it is TURNED OFF (where you have to cold boot), not sleeping, then it is an issue with the charger or the battery. Or the charging cct on the A500.

Last edited:

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
62% screen is normal.
16% Maps is high.

These numbers are highly dependent on when you check them. Check them right after coming off the charger and they are meaningless. After a few hours they give a good idea of how much battery is being used by each app.

Some websites that know your location (Google news for instance) use components of maps to determine location in ICS, so this may be misleading. Go into running apps in the settings and kill maps, or anything else that may want to know where you are, like checkin services etc.

I had not checked maps.

Orange = charging
White = accessing the web, checking mail, checking for updates, facebook etc. Find those apps that you do not need to be constantly checking and uncheck them under accounts an sync. Tap your gmail account in accounts and sync and turn off any components you don't need synced. (Really, I just don't worry about this that much, since its only wifi traffic).

I've studied (meaning "observed") that power button light quite intensely and have never seen it flash alternately between orange and white while plugged in. It stays orange until charged and then goes white. Then and only then, does it flash white when receiving emails.

As said before, the alternate flashing btw orange and white was a charger problem in one of the other threads in the forum. I believe some people were getting their chargers from WALMART? I don't know Walmart - we don't have them here in Australia.

Batchman

May 14, 2011
strider_mt2k said:
I've been playing around with leaving the Clock application running to see if it keeps my A500 from going into the "sleep of death" that I described in an earlier post.
So far it seems to sleep normally if I leave the Clock app running and then hit the power button.

I was having that problem. Reactivating the tablet required two long presses of the power button. The first presumably turned off the tablet completely, and the second turned it on.

I did a hardware reset, and it hasn't happened again since.

Batchman

May 14, 2011
Well, I spoke too soon, it seems. After five days with no problems, it's happening again. I'm beginning to think that an app may be causing this. I just started reading a new book on my Kobo app, and I believe the hardware reset that I thought had fixed the problem may have coincided with finishing a book. I'm going to try force stopping the Kobo app when exiting and see if that makes a difference.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Sleep of death happens when your tablet has been sleeping and you've pressed the POWER BUTTON too long. My wife bought me AN A500 DOCKING STATION which comes which an iR REMOTE. Using the REMOTE to wake the tablet is excellent idea. I don't forget to quick press the power button.