Potential buyer, looking for info

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
This might sound like a stupid question, but can it play files from SD? Like movies and music? Also would you Thrive owners recommend getting 16gb size over the 8 gb due to it not being able to use apps from SD? That is the way it works with tablet apps right? That they don't work from the SD card? Can you think of any negatives with regard to this tablet? Hubby is wanting a ten incher now and that has increased our budget on one so it looks like the Thrive is the way to go because of the user replaceable battery and full sized HDMI & USB ports. One other thing, if you don't want to root t his tablet, it can still do the android market right? Was there a recent upgrade on the honeycomb to 3.2 or is it still using 3.1? Thanks for the info in advance, I really appreciate the help. :)

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I agree with Peter, movies and music are what the removable storage is intended for. I would only add, be sure to get a class 4 or higher SD card.

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
Thanks Spider, I was looking at cards today and class 4's were what I was pricing out. Can either of you confirm for me that you can't use multiple cards or Thumb drives without 'confusing the tablet' as I saw something posted earlier about this with an Acer I think. Does a tablet get 'attached' to a card or thumb drive so that you can only use one with it? I know you need to mount and unmount the memory, be it thumb or SD cards though. I just wouldn't want to get two 16 GB SD's if I should really be getting a 32 GB one instead. Same for thumb drives, I don't want to waste cash on a new thumb drive if it will only recognize one without causing problems for the tablet.

kevro2000

Nov 29, 2011
It comes pre-installed w/a link to the Android Market, as well as Toshiba's Apps, Book (and 1 other that I can't recall) markets. Android Market is far better, at this time. I agree w/all that has been said about the tablet so far, particularly the memory card usage. On the USB and Card ports, I simultaneously use the SD card slot, a thinkpad keyboard in the USB, and connect my main pc via the mini-usb for data transfers. I haven't had the need 2 test/try using SD card simultaneously w/USB memory. . By the way,I'm very happy w/mine. I've had it nearly a month.